New Offensive Coordinator - Bodie Reeder

dml7007

59 minutes ago, jtm0097 said:

Just saying.... the offense can be unstoppable if executed correctly. 

Army is forced to run it. We're not forced to run it. Ever catch the Army/Navy game each year? It is without a doubt the single boring-est game played each year, bar none. Also, ya know what Army doesn't do? Win consistently. https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/army/index.html

28 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

They're not traditional triple options.

something like a motion Jet Sweep with a counter and a bubble screen to the slot would fit well in our current offense.

Bussey coming across on the sweep action with Torrey running the counter gives you plenty of time to read the key and if neither of those is open you have a screen to a guy like Darden as well.

I can get on board with a play or two to switch up the looks that the defense has to remember. That's fine

1 hour ago, NorthTexan95 said:

If this is serious then it's one of the worst "sports takes" I've seen on this site.  

Totally serious. Reference my Army/Navy comment above.

1 hour ago, greenminer said:

Not sure if that's a troll job or if he's serious.

Why can't it be both?

Listen, ya know what drives football ticket sales, and gets fans in seats? Winning, and good football. Ya know what isn't good football and is boring as S***? The triple option. We're not Army or Navy with a fan base that will show up regardless. Final point: ya know who doesn't run the triple option? Bama, Clemson, OU, and Ohio State. UCF either, because they recognize that you have to light up the stat sheets and highlight reels to be relevant as a G5.

• Upvote 1
  • Ray 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 1

I doubt it's gonna be a total scheme change.

Didn't UT/OU invent/adopt the triple option, out of a will to win?

My interest in winning is a higher priority than how it's done.  I also think fans will come - and culture change will happen - if you win consistently for a decade.

Don't look now, but Army is winning consistently.   Started 3 years into Monken's tenure.

Navy, historically, has had better success with it than Army.  It can't win all the time because the top-tier P5 teams have too much speed to match/exceed the scheme.  But it can, with the right recruits, give your peers complete fits.

• Upvote 1

I think y'all are seriously misconstruing what I meant by a triple option offense.

a zone read with a screen to the weakside is a Triple option Play.

Option 1: Hand The Ball Off

Option 2: QB keep the ball and run

Option 3: Throw the screen.

You can have triple option plays and not be in a flexbone/wishbone formation

Reeder clearly made a lot of use of those types of plays and I think the misdirection could be helpful

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

I think y'all are seriously misconstruing what I meant by a triple option offense.

a zone read with a screen to the weakside is a Triple option Play.

Option 1: Hand The Ball Off

Option 2: QB keep the ball and run

Option 3: Throw the screen.

You can have triple option plays and not be in a flexbone/wishbone formation

Reeder clearly made a lot of use of those types of plays and I think the misdirection could be helpful

They are called RPO’s now. Run, Pass option. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

They are called RPO’s now. Run, Pass option. 

That is not a RPO. RPO is typically a presnap option given to the QB, presnap, to count the box and make the appropriate play. 

Some gimmicky teams will flick it to a simple bubble after snap, but that's not the basis of an RPO play. 

Edited by NorthTexasWeLove
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

6 hours ago, Jason Howeth said:

Listen, ya know what drives football ticket sales, and gets fans in seats? Winning, and good football. Ya know what isn't good football and is boring as S***? The triple option. We're not Army or Navy with a fan base that will show up regardless. Final point: ya know who doesn't run the triple option? Bama, Clemson, OU, and Ohio State. UCF either, because they recognize that you have to light up the stat sheets and highlight reels to be relevant as a G5.

The problem is your cavalier use of the phrase "triple option".  All of those teams that you mention has run the triple option in the past and continue to run it with passing as one or more of the options.  You really need to be more specific as the triple option has been run for many years out of many different formations.  

For the record, the wishbone version of the triple option run by Oklahoma in the 1980's was as flashy as any offense you see today. 

• Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

21 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Paging @FirefightnRick

I'll step back and grab my popcorn now.

EDIT:  Just my $.02, having deceptive pre-snap movement and tricky running plays incorporated into your Air-Raid playbook cannot be a bad thing.

Agree.  But really all you need to do is read and watch the blog with videos that LouFan linked to earlier to see exactly what we can expect.  It’s all of the above and it’s going to be GREAT!!!!

https://pistolsfiringblog.com/chalk-talk-why-bodie-reeder-should-be-osus-next-offensive-coordinator/

Rick

• Upvote 1

On 2/11/2019 at 5:11 PM, greenminer said:

DRC accurate teasers:

Mean Green miss on Major OC

FCS OC comes to visit soon-gone NY Sub Hub. might hang around and win games

Tune’s dog still missing: former EWU OC could help

UNT loses OC. Still nothing at Oak Island.

Just when I didnt think this could get any better................."Still Nothing on Oak Island" HAHAHA

• Upvote 2

On 2/11/2019 at 12:01 PM, NT93 said:

I don't mean this to be bashing GH, because I really have a lot of respect for him and his family, but did we just upgrade at OC?  Obviously time will tell, but I feel really good about this.

Not totally - this is only an upgrade for the 2nd-4th quarters.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 2

On 2/14/2019 at 10:34 AM, Legend500 said:

Not totally - this is only an upgrade for the 2nd-4th quarters.

TOO REAL! Lol I’m excited about Reeder I am puzzled on why Mainord was promoted to “Co-OC/Ass.-HC” makes me wonder if he was Littrell choice all along and Baker made him hire an outside candidate? Not sure if anyone else noticed that 

• Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 5

47 minutes ago, CoachChop said:

TOO REAL! Lol I’m excited about Reeder I am puzzled on why Mainord was promoted to “Co-OC/Ass.-HC” makes me wonder if he was Littrell choice all along and Baker made him hire an outside candidate? Not sure if anyone else noticed that 

Mainord has always been Associate HC since he started. He's being named Co-OC probably for two reasons:

1. Give him the title/more money/better retention possibility

2. He's coaching all of the WR's now, and has more input in how the offense is run.

Edited by MGNation92
  • Upvote 3
  • Ray 1

On 2/13/2019 at 2:12 PM, Jason Howeth said:

Army is forced to run it. We're not forced to run it. Ever catch the Army/Navy game each year? It is without a doubt the single boring-est game played each year, bar none. Also, ya know what Army doesn't do? Win consistently. https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/army/index.html

I can get on board with a play or two to switch up the looks that the defense has to remember. That's fine

Why can't it be both?

Good football can be a great defense and a run based offense. I prefer a balanced attack and a defense that just wears out the opposition as opposed to a game like the UNT/Navy game when Dodge was running the show. 

On 2/13/2019 at 2:12 PM, Jason Howeth said:

Why can't it be both?

Actually....per your source, if we go back to 2007 and our first attempt at running a Chunk & Duck offense under Dodge,.....Army has won 6 more games than North Texas.  

But I understand what your saying.     That is the extreme the other way and you don’t like it.  

Army & Navy runs it because they are greatly limited in who they can recruit and does it very well.  I’m with you...why not have a little of both?  And from what I can tell that’s exactly what we may be getting?  At least I’m hoping so.

Rick

5 hours ago, southsideguy said:

Have we heard anything from Reeder yet?  Like "happy to be here", blah blah balh.  See GH is making the rounds in SOCAL. 

I'm glad someone mentioned this. Sources are telling me he already hates it here and regrets everything. He's turned away a ton of reporters outside the AD and has changed his LinkedIn to show he is actively searching.