Criticizing the teaser headline is one thing, using that as an example of an entire paper's coverage is another. 

I think the supporting criticism brought forth in this thread by the OP and others is woefully short of the claims put forth. 

Also, given the paper has to resort to reprinting the Sports Information-provided game story is evidenced that any bad coverage are likely mistakes borne of a tiny budget than any grudge or overt bias. 

Same deal with the Daily -- it is run by glorified amateurs learning on the job. If we expect Pulitzer-worthy stuff there that is our mistake. 

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 4
  • Downvote 3

On 2/11/2019 at 9:46 AM, FirefightnRick said:

This is the kind of hor$hit WB and the AD Dept has to deal with in regards to the Denton Record Chronicle.

Our softball team and it’s new coach Rodney DeLong traveled last Friday to College Station and kicked ass.  They went  4-1 overall in the Aggie Classic that included a run-rule curb stomping Saturday of the host and 20th ranked A&M team 10-2, our first win over a ranked team in three seasons. 

We won 9-0 over UNC and won 8-7 in an extra inning marathon (12) over Cal Baptist Friday evening.  We then run ruled A&M Saturday afternoon then lost by 1 in extra innings (9) Saturday evening to Cal Baptist.

Then we run ruled Northern Colorado 8-2 Sunday morning.  

So what do the morons at the DRC put accross the top of the sports page this morning?

7EDB5A10-8A71-479D-96FA-6806795037AB.jpeg.5ee460950c784c12ca50269da83c8522.jpeg

AB5197E0-84A9-4982-B28D-9B7BFC8E9C0C.png.96c050794ff3911b8985d0f48a5c668b.png

They print a headline teaser across the top of the sports page that UNT Softball “lose in tourneys”.

No DUMBASSES!!!  North Texas WINS in tourneys!  North Texas outscored their opponents 40-17.  North Texas won Sunday’s game and went 4-1 in the tournament and kicked the crap out of the ranked team.

And yeah, I know it’s the printed version and not online.  Despite what you may think or say a lot of potential donors/season ticket holders/supporters of NT Athletics still read the print paper.....but that’s completely beside the point here.  It’s the mindset and the negative attitude this paper has always had and always will as long as the Patterson (Ok State Alumni) family runs it.

North Texas spends a lot of money advertising in that POS rag.  North Texas is Denton’s largest employer.  You’d think the days of the constant little negative jabs and back stabbing would be over?  It’s not. 

Effing pisses me off man!!!

Rick

Well, there you go. Love me some Mean a green softball for sure

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, meangreanmick said:

While its wildly negatively misleading, and I have no idea why they would do that - to state that "UNT lost in tourney" is technically correct as Vito says.  It doesn't say, "UNT Lost the tourney", it says they lost "IN" the tourney, ,which as you stated, they did.  

This was Monday’s paper.  Our last loss was two days earlier.  Our MOST previous game...was a win the day before on Sunday..  

So no...it’s not technically correct if going by the most previous game by North Texas.  TWU lost its most previous game. But North Texas won its most previous game.

And I understand that some of y’all dont get it, because some people just don’t get into women’s athletics or they skim over the news, or are new fans/alumns and haven’t paid attention as long as others of the history with this reporter.  I get it and appreciate the feed back even if you think I’m off my rocker here with this.

The fact is...as Mean Green Softball goes...this was a big effing weekend.  We outscored our opponents 40-17.   And that win over A&M was a massive win for the program and for our university.  A win like that doesn’t happen around here very often.   To run rule an SEC program that’s ranked 20th in the nation 10-2 in their house last Saturday was a BIG DAMN DEAL worthy of front page news and to be splashed across the top on Sunday or Monday’s papers..  It wasn’t.  And on Monday those readers interested In our local sports were instead led to believe we lost the tournament when we didn’t.

Rick

• Upvote 5
  • Ray 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 4

There IS a conspiracy. It consists of SMU, TCU, Baylor, Texas Tech, A&M system and Texas system and their respective brand managers, legislative champions and lobbyists. If you don't believe so, you are naive. Every day they are working in some way, not always in concert of course, to advance their interests at our expense. 

Now that maybe doesn't have anything to do with this particular headline. I expect that has more to do with the paper maybe thinking the university isn't doing what it should to support a local business. They may even have a good point.

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

4 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

This was Monday’s paper.  Our last loss was two days earlier.  Our MOST previous game...was a win the day before on Sunday..  

So no...it’s not technically correct if going by the most previous game by North Texas.  TWU lost its most previous game. But North Texas won its most previous game.

And I understand that some of y’all dont get it, because some people just don’t get into women’s athletics or they skim over the news, or are new fans/alumns and haven’t paid attention as long as others of the history with this reporter.  I get it and appreciate the feed back even if you think I’m off my rocker here with this.

The fact is...as Mean Green Softball goes...this was a big effing weekend.  We outscored our opponents 40-17.   And that win over A&M was a massive win for the program and for our university.  A win like that doesn’t happen around here very often.   To run rule an SEC program that’s ranked 20th in the nation 10-2 in their house last Saturday was a BIG DAMN DEAL worthy of front page news and to be splashed across the top on Sunday or Monday’s papers..  It wasn’t.  And on Monday those readers interested In our local sports were instead led to believe we lost the tournament when we didn’t.

Rick

Preach on. 

• Upvote 1

On 2/11/2019 at 9:46 AM, FirefightnRick said:

This is the kind of hor$hit WB and the AD Dept has to deal with in regards to the Denton Record Chronicle.

Our softball team and it’s new coach Rodney DeLong traveled last Friday to College Station and kicked ass.  They went  4-1 overall in the Aggie Classic that included a run-rule curb stomping Saturday of the host and 20th ranked A&M team 10-2, our first win over a ranked team in three seasons. 

We won 9-0 over UNC and won 8-7 in an extra inning marathon (12) over Cal Baptist Friday evening.  We then run ruled A&M Saturday afternoon then lost by 1 in extra innings (9) Saturday evening to Cal Baptist.

Then we run ruled Northern Colorado 8-2 Sunday morning.  

So what do the morons at the DRC put accross the top of the sports page this morning?

7EDB5A10-8A71-479D-96FA-6806795037AB.jpeg.5ee460950c784c12ca50269da83c8522.jpeg

AB5197E0-84A9-4982-B28D-9B7BFC8E9C0C.png.96c050794ff3911b8985d0f48a5c668b.png

They print a headline teaser across the top of the sports page that UNT Softball “lose in tourneys”.

No DUMBASSES!!!  North Texas WINS in tourneys!  North Texas outscored their opponents 40-17.  North Texas won Sunday’s game and went 4-1 in the tournament and kicked the crap out of the ranked team.

And yeah, I know it’s the printed version and not online.  Despite what you may think or say a lot of potential donors/season ticket holders/supporters of NT Athletics still read the print paper.....but that’s completely beside the point here.  It’s the mindset and the negative attitude this paper has always had and always will as long as the Patterson (Ok State Alumni) family runs it.

North Texas spends a lot of money advertising in that POS rag.  North Texas is Denton’s largest employer.  You’d think the days of the constant little negative jabs and back stabbing would be over?  It’s not. 

Effing pisses me off man!!!

Rick

Nuff’ said

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Eye Roll 2

The DRC is just representing what the majority of its readers want to read. Look, the town has proven for years that its oldest citizenry either doesn't give a rip about sports at UNT or absolutely loathes its existence. If that weren't true, we'd have a stadium that fits more than 30k with the student body, alumni, and local citizenry around us. What pisses me off isn't the paper itself, but the thoughts they represent that allowed us to think I-aa was a solid idea for 12 freaking years or that playing at Fouts was all we needed and deserved for our football program. That is what crushed our hopes of ever being higher than we are today. Because at worst, we should be in the AAC or MWC today, with the Big XII a possibility if we had played our cards right in the late 70's, especially when we would have bee the perfect add for the Big 8 in that time, not the SWC that easily turned is nose up at us.

I just think that the DRC is a perfect representation of Old Denton, especially now that on old nestor in Bill Patterson owns it again. His dad and mom loved the journalism school and arts and music from North Texas. Bill loves Oklahoma State, which is where he and many of his kids have gone. He views sports the way almost every other media member views it for college sports--there's P5 and then the rest. No different than the DMN or the FWST or the Houston Chronicle. Rice and UH are always behind UT and A&M and LSU in Houston. UNT and SMU are always behind the Big XII schools and SEC schools here in DFW. You can want it to be different, but its not going to ever be that way because the Power Leagues are never expanding again--they will contract more in the coming years when the Big XII's GOR expires.

• Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1

On 2/12/2019 at 10:31 AM, letsgiveacheer said:

You are wrong, sir. I have been on this board too long to know otherwise.  In no particular order, the conspirators include: SMU, the College of Music, the NT Daily, the Denton Record Chronicle, the residents of Denia, and in general, the artsy-fartsy students that populate our campus.

This would seem to be a good place to introduce some real North Texas History that suggests that at one time there was an attitude about our University that one might call conspiratorial in nature. It comes on the occasion of when North Texas achieved University status and sought to have it's name changed for the sixth time. This is from "The Story of North Texas' by Dr. James Rogers.........pages 311& 312.  

https://books.google.com/books?id=uEqJXwQHe6kC&pg=PA742&lpg=PA742&dq=the+story+of+north+texas,+james+rogers&source=bl&ots=t3cI-M-2ai&sig=ACfU3U3rJm49aYmeEXvRIuhP2Jy3LXZ2ww&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjl6dq54MDgAhWL14MKHTmVC3UQ6AEwD3oECAkQAQ#v=snippet&q=The sixth name change&f=false

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Thanks 2
  • Eye Roll 1