1 minute ago, FirefightnRick said:

They head line print that UNT Softball lose in tourneys.

No DUMBASSES!!!  North Texas WON in tourneys, went 4-1 and kicked the crap out of the ranked team.

And yeah, I know it’s the printed version and not online.  Despite what you may think or say a lot of potential donors/season ticket holders/supporters of NT Athletics still read the print paper.....but that’s completely beside the point here.  It’s the mindset and the negative attitude this paper has always had and always will as long as the Patterson (Ok State Alumni) family runs it.

North Texas spends a lot of money advertising in that POS rag.  North Texas is Denton’s largest employer.  You’d think the days of the constant little negative jabs and back stabbing would be over?  It’s not. 

Effing pisses me off man!!!

Rick

The Vito Vibe infects the entire sports section. 

Edited by NorthTexan95
  • Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Ray 1
  • Downvote 7

23 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

This is the kind of hor$hit WB and the AD Dept has to deal with in regards to the Denton Record Chronicle.

Our softball team and it’s new coach Rodney DeLong traveled last Friday to College Station and kicked ass.  They went  4-1 overall in the Aggie Classic that included a run-rule curb stomping Friday night of the host and 20th ranked A&M team 10-2. Our first win over a ranked team in three seasons. 

We won by 1 in extra innings (12) over Northern Colorado Saturday afternoon and lost by 1 in extra innings (9) Saturday evening to Cal Baptist.

Then we rout Northern Colorado 7-2 Sunday morning.  

So what do the morons at the DRC put accross the top of the sports page this morning?

7EDB5A10-8A71-479D-96FA-6806795037AB.jpeg.5ee460950c784c12ca50269da83c8522.jpeg

AB5197E0-84A9-4982-B28D-9B7BFC8E9C0C.png.96c050794ff3911b8985d0f48a5c668b.png

They head line print that UNT Softball lose in tourneys.

No DUMBASSES!!!  North Texas WON in tourneys, went 4-1 and kicked the crap out of the ranked team.

And yeah, I know it’s the printed version and not online.  Despite what you may think or say a lot of potential donors/season ticket holders/supporters of NT Athletics still read the print paper.....but that’s completely beside the point here.  It’s the mindset and the negative attitude this paper has always had and always will as long as the Patterson (Ok State Alumni) family runs it.

North Texas spends a lot of money advertising in that POS rag.  North Texas is Denton’s largest employer.  You’d think the days of the constant little negative jabs and back stabbing would be over?  It’s not. 

Effing pisses me off man!!!

Rick

That is just being lazy and assuming that UNT softball team was already going to lose. I’m surprise Wren didn’t go down there and throw the newspaper at them.

• Upvote 7

50 minutes ago, Big Z said:

That is just being lazy and assuming that UNT softball team was already going to lose. I’m surprise Wren didn’t go down there and throw the newspaper at them.

To me it’s directly intentional.  It’s been going on for far too long in regards to the university.  

If there’s any chance at all to diminish a Mean Green accomplishment they’ll do it.  Been going on for years.  

Going into Saturday evening, about the time our basketball game with wKYj was finishing up the first half’s its game,... NT Softball was 3-0 in that tournament.  

How anyone comes away with “lose in tourneys” at that point is just unbelievable?

Afterward, we lost in extra innings by 1 late that evening in a cold, miserable drizzle but came back and run ruled CB the next morning finishing 4-1.  

The DRC had almost 30 hours to decide to print that head line.  

Again...how in hell anyone paying an ounce of attention to the area sports results gets “Lose in tourneys” from a 4-1 tournament result is just bizarre?

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 5
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 2

51 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Yeah...Not sure who wrote that gem. I will say I have quit clicking on the garbage Vito posts on here. The tone and manner in which he writes pisses me off. I've commented it several times in the past to no change. So I just avoid his clippings. 

Can you give an example of what you mean? I'm not challenging you (you're far from alone in feeling this way), I'm just wondering if I could start to spot it if you explained what you mean. I've given Vito a jab on numerous occasions for spelling and grammar errors, but with an appreciation of how quick the turnaround on articles has to be. I probably also have a subconscious bias in favor of him because he was giving me a consistent stream of UNT sports info before there were actually multiple journalists covering it.

Edited by Tyler Maryak
  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 1

21 minutes ago, Tyler Maryak said:

Can you give an example of what you mean? I'm not challenging you (you're far from alone on feeling this way), I'm just wondering if I could start to spot it if you explained what you mean. I've given Vito a jab on numerous occasions for spelling and grammar errors, but with an appreciation of how quick the turnaround on articles is. I probably also have a subconscious bias in favor of him because he was giving me a consistent stream of UNT sports info since before there were actually multiple journalists covering it.

I can't give you a specific example. Can't say I archive his pissing on UNT. But I've noticed it over time. 

And he does put out good stuff from time to time. Not trying to bash Brett too hard. And it may just be the tone in which he writes that gets under my skin. But I think it's more than that. I think he does or used to have an axe to grind and he grinded it with subtle blows in his writing. 

Edited by NorthTexasWeLove
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

UNT split its doubleheader, TWU lost.

The teaser was written by a designer looking to tie both stories together. It might not have been the best choice, but it was accurate. 

We are not overly negative.

Here's our post from Sunday night on UNT posting huge wins in softball and women's basketball:

https://www.dentonrc.com/sports/the-sunday-leftovers----unt-softball-women-s/article_176881a1-2383-5d17-a448-0f7f1b7d6953.html

Here's our season preview on UNT's softball team and how a coaching change bodes well for the future:

https://www.dentonrc.com/sports/softball-unt-hoping-new-coach-delong-can-be-missing-piece/article_2869684c-ae45-5835-bb07-5c893d8076dd.html

The inside headlines highlighted the positives from the weekend.

IMG_0871.JPG

IMG_0873.JPG

• Upvote 10
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Downvote 9

47 minutes ago, Tyler Maryak said:

Can you give an example of what you mean? I'm not challenging you (you're far from alone on feeling this way), I'm just wondering if I could start to spot it if you explained what you mean. I've given Vito a jab on numerous occasions for spelling and grammar errors, but with an appreciation of how quick the turnaround on articles is. I probably also have a subconscious bias in favor of him because he was giving me a consistent stream of UNT sports info since before there were actually multiple journalists covering it.

No matter what the story, Brett has to bring out the negative aspects which have been covered ad nauseum. For every positive accomplishment, he mentions the bowl defeats, the coaching changes, the lost  recruits, the budget deficits. Anything that reflects negatively, he mentions repeatedly even if there is no direct correlation to the story. I believe he feels he's being "objective" and not a homer. One isn't a homer by focusing on the relevant story. His style drives me crazy too.

Edited by Hunter Green
  • Upvote 4
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 2

2 minutes ago, Hunter Green said:

No matter what the story, Brett has to bring out the negative aspects which have been covered ad nauseum. For every positive accomplishment, he mentions the bowl defeats, the coaching changes, the lost  recruits, the budget deficits. Anything that reflects negatively, he mentions repeatedly even if there is no direct correlation to the story. I believe he feels he's being "objective" and not a homer. One isn't a homer by focusing on the relevant story. His style drives me crazy too.

"We are not overly negative."

I suppose it's a matter of perspective, but the perspective of your readers is that you ARE overly negative. At least, that's my perspective.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 8

Some one should tell Vito it is ok to be a "homer" beat writer, most turn into that after a few years.   

It appears that Brett is going to retire in Denton,  and no one is going to give him accolades, because he bend over backward to present an unbiased view. 

Report it correctly and be critical when it is needed, but it certainly doesn't hurt to express a little more support for the home team.   

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 5
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 3

A far better headline for the front page could have been the "UNT starts year 2-0 - First time since '09" or even something commending Rodney Long's first season and the positive start he had over the weekend. Highlighting the wins on the homepage of a newspaper, or even anything more positive, would make me want to read an article. 

• Upvote 1
  • Ray 1

1 hour ago, Brett Vito said:

UNT split its doubleheader,

, but it was accurate. 

Only someone with your ability would take a 4-1 record,....of which the final game of the tournament resulted in a win for us.....as a loss.

No one......NO ONE in their right freaking mind takes a 4-1 tournament result, in which we outscored the opponents 40-17 and applies the word LOSE to describe it in a headline.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 9
  • Haha 2
  • Downvote 9

32 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

I agree with you about the stupidity of the headline, but not the motivation.   I think part of the problem is writers that really do not know enough about sports to be writing about them.   This is particularly true for the student newspapers' current staff..

The headlines are also usually not written by the sports writers but rather the editors.   NT beating a ranked team should obviously have been the headline or even NT softball starts season well.   Highlighting one loss out of 5 games is totally absurd.

It is bizarre beyond belief to me. 

And here Vitto is doubling down that the teaser is accurate.   No it’s not!

I mean...the final game for us in which the first pitch was at 10 a.m. yesterday morning resulted in a run-ruled 8-2 win.  How anyone looks at an overtime(extra inning) 1 run loss that was sandwiched in between 4 wins and labels a three day event as “lose” ‘ing....8 to 10 hours later(or whenever the next day’s info must be turned in for print?)...is mind blowing.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 4

2 hours ago, Brett Vito said:

The teaser was written by a designer looking to tie both stories together. It might not have been the best choice, but it was accurate. 

So I look up what TWU did this weekend at the OC/UCO Invitational.

They had 4 games scheduled.  TWU played three games and lost all three getting outscored 8-22, and one game was canceled due to weather.

But according to Vitto....in his and some other person’s mind ”The teaser...was accurate” because TWU going 0-3 and getting outscored 8-22 is the equivalent to North Texas going 4-1 and outscoring the opposition 40-17 and a win over #20 in the nation..

Again...BIZAARE!

Rick

• Upvote 10
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 5

35 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

So I look up what TWU did this weekend at the OC/UCO Invitational.

They had 4 games scheduled.  TWU played three games and lost all three getting outscored 8-22, and one game was canceled due to weather.

But according to Vitto....in his and some other person’s mind ”The teaser...was accurate” because TWU going 0-3 and getting outscored 8-22 is the equivalent to North Texas going 4-1 and outscoring the opposition 40-17 and a win over #20 in the nation..

Again...BIZAARE!

Rick

DRC needs to present a clear and present line between the two universities as well. One plays D1 whereas the other is like NAIA or whatever (who cares). And they're often presented in the DRC as peers. They're also supported by the Denton city council with their little pole banners, tour Denton community center, etc. as peer institutions. Which they are clearly not. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 3

9 hours ago, Brett Vito said:

UNT split its doubleheader, TWU lost.

Here's our post from Sunday night on UNT posting huge wins in softball and women's basketball:

https://www.dentonrc.com/sports/the-sunday-leftovers----unt-softball-women-s/article_176881a1-2383-5d17-a448-0f7f1b7d6953.html

Here's our season preview on UNT's softball team and how a coaching change bodes well for the future:

https://www.dentonrc.com/sports/softball-unt-hoping-new-coach-delong-can-be-missing-piece/article_2869684c-ae45-5835-bb07-5c893d8076dd.html

The inside headlines highlighted the positives from the weekend.

IMG_0871.JPG

IMG_0873.JPG

How about a headline stating "UNT Softball Beats #20 A&M 10-2 To Start the Year 3-1"?  How about putting it on the  front page?  I know the DRC is worried about putting UNT on the front page too much so as not to upset Div. 2 TWU or any of the high schools, but that was a hell of a win. A person not following the team that wasn’t teased in to reading it would never know. Little Lovelace should be packed when they return home. 

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 1

I read the article Vito posted and it was clearly  very positive, "The Sunday leftovers -- UNT softball, women's basketball teams pick up hugs wins." Ok, it should be "huge" and it was huge in the body of the article. The print article appears to be very positive, at least that part I can read from the picture. The only negative appears to be in the teaser headline which VIto says is written by a "designer." I was technically correct in that there was a loss but obviously doesn't tease what actually happened accurately. But Vito wrote it was a poor choice of words. It appears to be more in the category of a mistake than a plot to hurt NT athletics. 

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2