Fare thee well NY Sub Hub

Skipper

2 hours ago, ipd054 said:

None of this is new.  In the 2013 master plan this map was released...  These 4 buildings along with across the street have been on the acquisition list for years. 

image.png.930db15a6280b07e1428267fc2ade801.png

Looking at the northwest boundary -- am I correct that it's taking in quite a bit of Cement City?  Hope so.  What a hellhole. And the northeast boundary looks like it includes my old place, Hickory Village.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, ipd054 said:

None of this is new.  In the 2013 master plan this map was released...  These 4 buildings along with across the street have been on the acquisition list for years. 

I know it's popular in the greater Denton community to bash UNT's growth plan, but the proposed acquisitions are vital to growing and improving campus and this side of the city. The existing commercial and residential uses in these areas suck (professional planner speak).

Moving towards Bonnie Brae won't draw half the outrage as losing beloved restaurants, but will involve displacing a lot of low income/student housing. It'll have to be done carefully.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, ipd054 said:

If you look more thoroughly through the 2013 MP, though, it called for the acquisitions around south Ave C to be primarily joint public-private partnerships. Or, where possible, UNT become the landlords and maintain the current businesses while continuously making facade and landscaping improvements. The aim was to maintain the appropriate college and neighborhood retail and services, but make it more an extension of campus, a gateway into the core academic sectors.

I'm betting the razing of Carriage Square reset the plans here. The thinking now may be "rip the bandaid off now".

4 hours ago, Jason Howeth said:

I mean, finally Rockin' Rodeo will be shut down.

Oh bud, you didn't hear? [ I'll update with a photo here shortly. ]

• Upvote 1