Fare thee well NY Sub Hub

Skipper

I think the real issue is that when a school has to telegraph plans publicly people with adjacent land see dollar signs.  When approached they are happy to sell you property for 4 times its appraised value.

It is not like the school sets out to hurt small businesses,  but the media, alumni and students  are generally sympathetic to the narrative of big corporation vs tiny family business that gets run out as leverage against the school. The prospect of eminent domain is the leverage the school has to get negotiations into a reasonable zone.

I believe all of the Union food joints are owned by the school as franchises so they wouldnt be able to do that, but I am told there is interest in trying to secure them a spot in the new development across the street. That seems like a good outcome for all.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, ntmeangreen11 said:

Is the yankee who owns the IHOP by campus that won't even fix his damn roof still fighting with UNT?

That place is beyond an eyesore.

Hate those damn Yankees!

/settles in to hoover an Italian sub under a picture of the '86 Mets groping Rudy Guliani on September 18, 2001 while Patrick Ewing claps one last tearful time

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 2
  • Eye Roll 1

24 minutes ago, ntmeangreen11 said:

Is the yankee who owns the IHOP by campus that won't even fix his damn roof still fighting with UNT?

That place is beyond an eyesore.

I think once the new IHOP opens at Rayzor Ranch, they’ll close the IHOP on I-35

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Quoner said:

Hate those damn Yankees!

/settles in to hoover an Italian sub under a picture of the '86 Mets groping Rudy Guliani on September 18, 2001 while Patrick Ewing claps one last tearful time

Admittedly I have only started using the term yankee because it's gone out of style.

Just let me fix some of those roof tiles...

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, ntmeangreen11 said:

Admittedly I have only started using the term yankee because it's gone out of style.

Just let me fix some of those roof tiles...

And there's nothing wrong with it, I just appreciated it based on the thread title and topic. Shall we....fuggedaboutit? 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Quoner said:

Hate those damn Yankees!

To be fair though, we don't have subways here in Texas.    And renaming the restaurant to "Juarez DrugTunnel Hub" doesn't quite have the same ring.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 4

On 2/9/2019 at 12:29 AM, NorthTexan95 said:

Don't they still have a second location on University? 

8 hours ago, Withers940 said:

Different owner but yes, it's still there with the same great taste 

The owner of the location on University (Mike) is a UNT Alum who worked for Ken while a student, along with my roommate.  They were so good at it that they pretty well ran the place for Ken for a few years.  Somehow Mike has managed not to have to change the name from Sub-Way to Sub Hub, which I assume was due to a lawsuit from "Subway".

9 hours ago, Jason Howeth said:

When I was in school, they had another location off 288 near the Kroger. Not sure if it's still there, but I used to go there at least once a week since I lived in the Waterford apartments behind ULTA.

Just did a war-drive on Google maps, apparently it's no longer there.  In the very beginning, Ken had a partner who had a location near SMUt, but it didn't last long.  There even might have been one in Austin on the drag then too - not sure.  There was also a NY Sub-Way in Carrollton for a time in the 80s - if I'm remembering correctly, on Josey just north of Beltline.

7 hours ago, Quoner said:

Hate those damn Yankees!

... and Ken is a bonafide Yankee, of the New Jersey variety.  But he retired a few years ago to be able to do more hunting, and his sons, who were born and raised in Denton, now run the place.

Ken is from New Jersey. Always liked him. Probably are their three times a week when the Sig Ep house was down the street. Site is now known as Clark park for you youngsters. Ted was Kenny’s partner for a while. I was good friends with Ted’s brother, Jeff. Jeff was a Sammy, a lot of Sammis were veterans around that time. Jeff would get off after closing and always end up stopping by the house with a late night sandwich. I liked #18. We lost Jeff to pancreatic cancer a few years back. Jeff and Ted started a sandwich shop across from uta also but when they built that thru campus underpass it put them out of business during construction. That is my blast from the past but I have tons of memories around that little old sandwich shop. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Aldo said:

I have gotten my affairs in order and my will written out so I can make the following statement:

I would rather have had a Riprock's burger and fried green beans, oriental express, Sabrosita, the taco place across the highway, or the stuff Katz was serving before eating some generic sub with NY paraphernalia plastered on the walls.

It was nice knowing y'all. 

giphy.gif

Image result for get out gif

• Ray 1

57 minutes ago, Aldo said:

I have gotten my affairs in order and my will written out so I can make the following statement:

I would rather have had a Riprock's burger and fried green beans, oriental express, Sabrosita, the taco place across the highway, or the stuff Katz was serving before eating some generic sub with NY paraphernalia plastered on the walls.

giphy.gif

Screen_Shot_2017-11-06_at_12.41.31_PM.pn

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Aldo said:

giphy.gif

Related image