Fare thee well NY Sub Hub

Skipper

When the University of North Texas System Board of Regents meets next week, regents will decide whether the university can acquire four properties near the Denton campus. 

The agenda for Thursday lists the proposed real estate transactions in executive session as "authorization to acquire by purchase or eminent domain," meaning if the university and property owners can't agree, the school could still take the property. 

Read more:  https://www.dentonrc.com/news/unt-officials-to-try-to-acquire-avenue-c-properties/article_f80e9863-d8af-5a01-8460-8771f7db82e3.html

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Ray 1
  • Downvote 1

Save NY SUB it is my friday go to place.   I was going there when I was a student in 1978.   Best chicken salad subs.  I hope they dont close the business forever.  This will tranish my view of UNT if they take this business down.  Maybe we can get it landmark status.  i guess the building can be moved.   Does UNT have to pay for the lost of profits if they take over the land.   Here is a better idea take over cement city and clean the area up.  It was bad in late 1970's but it was cheap to live in the area and back in those days if you could find a place to rent you were in luck.  The landlords took advantage of it.  Fox Jacobson was the biggest slum lord of all.  What ever happened to them.   They were big at that time and built cookie cutter homes in Carrollton.  The only difference in the homes and neighborhood were the street signs.

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 5

No Texas Pickup, no Tomato or State Club.  Now this.  It’s amazing that a university would intentionally eliminate the last of its classic eateries on/near campus.  I guess it’s possible new ones may pop up but why as a business owner would you want to risk building a brand when there’s a good chance the school will come in within 10 to 20 years and take it?

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 6
  • Downvote 6

22 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

No Texas Pickup, no Tomato or State Club.  Now this.  It’s amazing that a university would intently eliminate the last of its classic eateries on/near campus.  I guess it’s possible new ones may pop up but why as a business owner would you want to risk building a brand when there’s a good chance the school will come in within 10 to 20 years and take it?

Rick

Took the thoughts right out of my head.  The first one I thought of was Texas Pickup.  If I ever  had a bad week at school,  Texas Pickup with it’s gigantic Chicken Fried Steak would make me feel better.  And it was cheap !     Really miss all these places, but that’s development and progress.  Glad I have the memories.  

• Upvote 6

14 hours ago, UNT'19 said:

I will transfer if they take MY sub hub

You might start looking then....it appears this is a done deal.  Sorry to see the Sub Hub go, but if we are honest...it isn't now what it once was. With the cash the owners will be getting, if they wish, they can certainly reopen elsewhere.  I hope they do, but in all honesty...since the subs are not what they once were, I go only about once a quarter now and only when I am on that side of town anyway.  No special trips just for the Sub Hub for this guy any longer.  Don't want to "spoil" the wonderful memories I have of "back in the day" when it was the pure example of awesomeness.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 6

3 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

No Texas Pickup, no Tomato or State Club.  Now this.  It’s amazing that a university would intently eliminate the last of its classic eateries on/near campus.  I guess it’s possible new ones may pop up but why as a business owner would you want to risk building a brand when there’s a good chance the school will come in within 10 to 20 years and take it?

Rick

To be fair, The Tomato had nothing to do with the school.  But yeah, I wouldn’t build too close to campus.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, KRAM1 said:

You might start looking then....it appears this is a done deal.  Sorry to see the Sub Hub go, but if we are honest...it isn't now what it once was. With the cash the owners will be getting, if they wish, they can certainly reopen elsewhere.  I hope they do, but in all honesty...since the subs are not what they once were, I go only about once a quarter now and only when I am on that side of town anyway.  No special trips just for the Sub Hub for this guy any longer.  Don't want to "spoil" the wonderful memories I have of "back in the day" when it was the pure example of awesomeness.

I don't understand all the love for NYSH but maybe that's just me. I went there a few times '14-'16 and never thought it was any better than [insert a name here] sandwich shop. Slow and overpriced, but thats just me. They also have NYY stuff on the walls. Go O's 😂

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 1
  • Downvote 5

it was often a twice a day habit for me.

like, I would make the decision to occasionally drive out of my way to the University location, just so I wasn't seeing the same people everyday.

I've had a sub pretty much every time I've gone back to Denton. 

UNT needs to slow it's roll. 

• Upvote 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 2

15 hours ago, meangreenlax said:

I don't understand all the love for NYSH but maybe that's just me. I went there a few times '14-'16 and never thought it was any better than [insert a name here] sandwich shop. Slow and overpriced, but thats just me. They also have NYY stuff on the walls. Go O's 😂

I agree, and I remember the owner there being an assh$$$. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3