DRC: Breaking down UNT's recruiting class/C-USA race for top class

Brett Vito

2 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

It's hard to do that though, when you have a DT locked up all year, telling you he's got the grades to show up in the Fall, only to be surprised to find out extremely close to signing day that he DOESN'T have the grades.   
Quality DT's are not available as "backup" plans.  When we lost Rowland, we lost any sort of quality 2019 recruit at DT.

This 285 lb DT from Duncanville obviously had the grades. 

And did I mention he played for Duncanville?

https://247sports.com/player/debraylon-carroll-46056082/

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, FirefightnRick said:

This 285 lb DT from Duncanville obviously had the grades?

https://247sports.com/player/debraylon-carroll-46056082/

Rick

For sure!   Before Rice swooped in at the last second, he had a bunch of FCS offers.
I think we can agree size is not the only thing that makes a good DT.
I remember a few years ago when Lamar came through they had some huge (weighty) linemen on both sides of the ball, but they were slow & largely ineffective against our lines.
I suppose we'll see which of these two guys contributes to his team more:
Mr. Carroll at Rice, or Quinn Whitlock, the DB we got from Copiah-Lincoln when Rowland's schollie came free.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, 97and03 said:

No class without a DT can receive an A grade as far as I am concerned. I know some will say that we might bulk up these DEs but I am sorry, it is not the same - especially with this three man front. 

There are 8 Mid Majors ranked ahead of us. They have a designated  total of 14 DTs signed with Boise at 0 and La at 4. It is obvious that moving DEs inside is the strategy. If they are long and have a motor, this is what we can develop. Also keep fingers crossed for transfers!

• Upvote 1