So, you're telling me we have a chance...

Philip Ferguson

1 hour ago, Cr1028 said:

1000/1 is too good. It is more like 1000/0. UCF, Boise and all those up there with Tech and TCU? Nope. A G5 will NEVER win the CFP under the current system. It gives 1 G5 a NY6 bowl as an olive branch because G5s won’t be allowed on the CFP.

Yeah, but I'd love to get in on that 10,000/1. 

4 hours ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

Never forget that in 2016, Leicester City had 5,000-1 odds to win the Premier League which they did, though I'm more inclined to believe the 1000/0 odds as more realistic. 

Leicester City plays in the Premier League so no matter what they were going to have a chance. Giving a G5 any odds to win the natty in football in this system is like saying a team from the English Football League (division 2) has a chance at winning the Premier League (division 1). 

The truth about these odds is every P5 has a path to the natty and no G5 does. Won't change until the system changes. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Leicester City plays in the Premier League so no matter what they were going to have a chance. Giving a G5 any odds to win the natty in football in this system is like saying a team from the English Football League (division 2) has a chance at winning the Premier League (division 1). 

The truth about these odds is every P5 has a path to the natty and no G5 does. Won't change until the system changes. 

Hence my response that I'm inclined to believe in the 1000/0 odds. And just to be fair in reference to your comment, a League 2 team has more chance of winning the Premier League than any G5 has of winning the National Championship (I agree with you). Leicester City was in League 2 only a few years before it won the Premier League. I follow Exeter City in League 2 and there is a firm dream they can eventually make the Premier League based on what Leicester City did. 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

Hence my response that I'm inclined to believe in the 1000/0 odds. And just to be fair in reference to your comment, a League 2 team has more chance of winning the Premier League than any G5 has of winning the National Championship (I agree with you). Leicester City was in League 2 only a few years before it won the Premier League. I follow Exeter City in League 2 and there is a firm dream they can eventually make the Premier League based on what Leicester City did. 

Fair. I read the first half of your post to say that since Leicester won the EPL with laughable odds, a G5 team winning the natty was also possible. My bad.

Regarding the structure of European sports leagues, I wish US sports did it the same. 20 teams. Multiple leagues for each sport that are connected by promotions and demotions. No tanking. Everybody fights for something. Can't get much better than that.

Edited by GMG_Dallas

5 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Fair. I read the first half of your post to say that since Leicester won the EPL with laughable odds, a G5 team winning the natty was also possible. My bad.

Regarding the structure of European sports leagues, I wish US sports did it the same. 20 teams. Multiple leagues for each sport that are connected by promotions and demotions. No tanking. Everybody fights for something. Can't get much better than that.

No worries. I figured was something like that. And agreed. I would love the same model. I just don't think it could work for MLS yet as the fan base isn't strong or deep enough to support a team losing first division status. Every other league needs it though. Like you said, want to end tanking? Make every game mean something 

• Upvote 1
  • Ray 1