Art Briles interviewing with Southern Miss

TheReal_jayD

28 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

What would be worse for USM:

1. Hiring Art Briles?
  2. Starving their eagle mascot to death?

The most popular outcome would be to combine the two...hire Art Briles and starve him to death!

• Haha 6

3 hours ago, ihopehe said:

I hope he has sought out the Lord, Jesus Christ, for forgiveness of running the Baylor football program the way the University of Texas and University of Oklahoma run their football programs.  Just ask the NCAA, it is far better to have a player break a girl's face, as OU's player did, than to allow sexual assaults to continue unabated.  I hope he has his priorities straight the second time around. 

Too many people use "the lord, Jesus christ" as a crutch for being total hypocrites, criminals, and absolute scum to others. Briles is one. I hope he never has a job inspiring young men again. But he should definitely consult his "lord, jesus christ" on how a man should act when entrusted with the lives and the future of 100 young men. 

• Upvote 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 2

1 minute ago, Cr1028 said:

8427975.gif

Lol - a conflicting school and coach statement.

https://www.clarionledger.com/story/sports/2019/02/06/art-briles-southern-miss-usm-says-not-candidate-position-offensive-coordinator/2788193002/

The GMG Briles Brigade must be crushed, but hey, WE still have an OC position open...

8 minutes ago, Quoner said:

Lol - a conflicting school and coach statement.

https://www.clarionledger.com/story/sports/2019/02/06/art-briles-southern-miss-usm-says-not-candidate-position-offensive-coordinator/2788193002/

The GMG Briles Brigade must be crushed, but hey, WE still have an OC position open...

He is so screwed, he couldn’t get a job coaching JV at a six man school these days. He needs to accept life after football at this point........unless......no, it couldn’t.....Hugh Freeze succeeds and gets hired away from Liberty?..........Ian McCaw introduces his old pal as the next Liberty head coach?  

Who knows but I think life after football is what he needs to focus on. Whether he feels wronged or not, the best course of his life is to sit on his leftover Baylor money, watch his son’s career progress on tv, and just stay the hell away from the public eye.

• Upvote 2

21 hours ago, Cerebus said:

The unraveling at Baylor culminated in the firing of beloved head football coach Art Briles, the resignation of athletics director Ian McCaw, and the demotion and eventual resignation of university president Ken Starr in mid-2016.

There's something so rich about Ken Starr having to step down because of allegations of this nature. The universe works in mysterious ways.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

He is not a candidate according to the university, although Jay Hopson seems to disagree:

"We have met with Art Briles regarding a position with the Southern Miss football program," the school said in a statement Wednesday morning. "Following that meeting, we informed him that he is not a candidate. The university will have no further comment on this matter." - Southern Miss Pres I think.

Hopson's response:

"I have interviewed Art Briles for an assistant position @ Southern Miss & I believe he is a man who deserves a second chance," Hopson wrote in his statement. "He is a man that seemed sincere & humble in his interview & personally he committed no crime. He may not have acted in the proper protocol, but that should be my JOB at Southern Miss! He was interviewing for an assistant position, even though I believe he will be a Head coach at a Major Program in the near future."

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/25937562/art-briles-no-longer-candidate-offensive-coordinator-southern-mississippi-golden-eagles

32 minutes ago, peanuts104 said:

Hopson's response:

"I have interviewed Art Briles for an assistant position @ Southern Miss & I believe he is a man who deserves a second chance," Hopson wrote in his statement. "He is a man that seemed sincere & humble in his interview & personally he committed no crime. He may not have acted in the proper protocol, but that should be my JOB at Southern Miss! He was interviewing for an assistant position, even though I believe he will be a Head coach at a Major Program in the near future."

I guess if you don't think 'obstruction of justice' is a crime, then sure!

• Upvote 2

There are always plenty of options in the coaching world when you're talking about making a hire.  If you think Briles deserves a second chance, great! Let him have a second chance elsewhere.  It's not like you're his only hope.

Taking Briles on has a ton of implications about your priorities, and I can't think of many that are good.

1 hour ago, greenminer said:

Follow up thought: how much weight would a Briles hire bring to CUSA as compared to, say, Kiffin/FAU?

1 hour ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

"Weight" isn't the word at all.  But publicity?  I imagine quite a bit.

Or an even crazier question, what if Kiffin, who hired Kendal despite the risk and has struggled since Kendal left, hired Art as OC? Is Kiffin crazy or ballsy enough to do something like that? I know his “give a F” meter when it comes to bad publicity is about at zero.

• Upvote 3

University says "no" to Briles

Southern Miss will not hire Art Briles for its coaching staff after meeting with the former Baylor coach about its offensive coordinator vacancy, despite Briles having the public backing of Golden Eagles head coach Jay Hopson.

"We have met with Art Briles regarding a position with the Southern Miss football program," the school said in a statement Wednesday morning. "Following that meeting, we informed him that he is not a candidate. The university will have no further comment on this matter."

• Upvote 2