Charlotte (2/2/19)

CMJ

As our old friend Willie Shakespeare wrote, "All's well that ends well!". Good day all around for the Mean Green but there is PLENTY to play for next week and I hope we're up for it.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Greendylan said:

Exactly.  I know a lot of people might have looked at Charlotte's record and assumed we would blow them out, but they have mostly been tough at home in CUSA games.  

Regarding next week's games, a split followed by another split against the F_Us on the road would probably sneak us into pod play at the bottom end of the top group.  But, if we have any designs of finishing in the first or second spot, then I think we have to sweep the Marshall/WKU home games.  That won't be easy, but I'm not sure the Florida road games will be any easier.

CUSA road wins are huge. Especially Saturday games. Winning game #2 on the road in CUSA is really tough. Watching the scores every week, home court is huge for the Saturday game. Few CUSA teams charter. For instance our team probably left Wednesday morning flew to Norfolk. Practiced, went through scouting report, etc. Played a night game on Thursday. Get up early Friday morning and catch flight to Charlotte. Hold a practice somewhere, film, scouting report, etc. Get up next day and play an afternoon game. Because of the way the league does it, your 2nd road game is always against a team that's played both at home. At least we have lots of direct flights. From Ruston, Hattiesburg, etc. the flight itinerary would be much worse.

• Upvote 3

I thought this was Smart best game in a long time.  Still he was not on the floor during crunch time.  I don't understand McCasland's substitution patterns, but can't complain about the results. 

The NT girls win was also big, Charlotte had a girl that almost single handedly won for them.  George continued to dominate in the lane.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, meangreen08 said:

They need to win both of those games. Basically need to win out and hope for some help in order to win conf. 

I doubt that either us or anyone else in this league will go 8-0. Pod play will make this even more difficult. I said it when conference started and I'll say it again, the regular season champ will have 4 to 5 losses.

5 minutes ago, Green Lantern said:

Sure, but I was meaning for trying to assure being in the top pod. We need to at least split the home games next week. Both are going to be really tough.

I actually think we sneak into the top pod losing 3 of the last 4 though it’s certainly not ideal. There are reasonable scenarios in which there is a tie for 5th at 8-6