Charlotte (2/2/19)

CMJ

If anybody goes to Rudy’s on Monday could they ask Grant why he refuses to play Arikawe and Z. Simmons at the same time? Do we really need a four guards to jack threes? Are we working on developing any of our young talent? So many questions after a record breaking start to the season. We have changed nothing since day 1 and I feel like every team who watches game tape can easily stop us now. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 3

2 minutes ago, Andrew said:

If anybody goes to Rudy’s on Monday could they ask Grant why he refuses to play Arikawe and Z. Simmons at the same time? Do we really need a four guards to jack threes? Are we working on developing any of our young talent? So many questions after a record breaking start to the season. We have changed nothing since day 1 and I feel like every team who watches game tape can easily stop us now. 

Arikawe is the only thing close to a backbup center and if Z gets into foul trouble Arikawe will have to play big minutes.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Atleast Arikawe is in early. I cannot find a plus minus stat for our roster, but I kept up with it on my phone a few games recently and Arikawe was one of our top guys. We always seem to play well when he is in. I cannot say the same for Jamiah Simmons. I was hoping he would be a difference maker for us. 

MeanGreenStats.com tracks +/- as an in-game stat but I've not seen it tracked officially anywhere else.

Charlotte 34 ------------------------ NT 32

Halftime

At least we had the 8-0 run to tie the game, even though then the 49ers retook it.  Let's hope we can get going in the 2nd half, because this will be a tough loss to take.

Edited by CMJ
  • Sad 1

Thank you, Rose. That 3 was critical to close out the half. We absolutely need to play much better. Charlott's no slouch when it comes to draining the 3 ball, and we've been struggling, so we have to find ways to get to the lane and drive the ball home. It almost looks like our guys are afraid to draw the foul too.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, RiseUNT said:

Arikawe is the only thing close to a backbup center and if Z gets into foul trouble Arikawe will have to play big minutes.

Mark wasn’t injured early in the year and we were starting to play Shakeem during OOC play. It’s going to be difficult to get far with a four guard line up night in night out and always running the same sets. We should be better than this. I understand we are injured, but we have had plenty of time to develop wall of our players and create various lineups depending on our in game needs.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

You know what I’ve always thought could help us win games?  

Not better free throw shooting. 

Not less reliance on the 3-pointer.

Not greater discipline against the pick and roll.  

Nope, my solution to our woes is more Tope Arikawe.  

Brilliant!

Who else would you play in the paint other that Zach Simmons? 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Who else would you play in the paint other that Zach Simmons? 

You miss the point.  Arikawe is a relief factor for  Simmons, not a complimentary player or a replacement.  

Kinda like how I will drink Mr. Pibb if a restaurant simply does not have Dr. Pepper...but nobody sane would order Mr. Pibb AND Dr Pepper or Mr. Pibb instead of Dr Pepper

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, Andrew said:

J Simmons needs to sit down.

5 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

You miss the point.  Arikawe is a relief factor for  Simmons, not a complimentary player or a replacement.  

Kinda like how I will drink Mr. Pibb if a restaurant simply does not have Dr. Pepper...but nobody sane would order Mr. Pibb AND Dr Pepper or Mr. Pibb instead of Dr Pepper

I honestly do not see the issue in trying to run them out there together for a 3-5 minute span. Slow it down and really focus on the defensive end. It would would force teams to adjust and give our guards a break. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, CMJ said:

Charlotte 48 ------------------------ NT 47

11:56 to go

Plenty of time, but we're in serious trouble.  Even when we nose in front, we can't keep the lead more than about 20 seconds.

We’ve been really bad today locking down defensively after tying the game up or pulling ahead.

1 minute ago, Andrew said:

Of all the times for Grant to get a tech this wouldn’t be one... where was that during the UTSA game when we were getting screwed over left and right by the refs. 

It's good for the guys to see how much he cares. I know they're aware, but he'll fire them up.

1 minute ago, Jason Howeth said:

It's good for the guys to see how much he cares. I know they're aware, but he'll fire them up.

I agree, but I was really hoping that would have come out at UTSA. That game still bothers me to this day. The OU and ODU game are understandable, but UTSA like that? Frustrating.

• Upvote 1