Charlotte (2/2/19)

CMJ

2 hours ago, CMJ said:

We really need a win to get back on track.  The standings are so clumped at the top of the league. but we have lost head to head with basically everyone we're tied with on the Loss column.

We will see if we like this new schedule. As of now we will get a rematch with the teams who beat us. I think we will win.

We do play down to our competition but at least we win the games. Gotta beat a bad Charlotte team on the back end of an East cost road trip. Not as easy as the paper match up says.

3 hours ago, RiseUNT said:

No it's down. OU and ODU are the only top 100 talent teams we played and we lost both by double digits. 

Yes Grant is good at beating average to bad teams.

Don't think it is the coaching that is losing these games, ya gotta have the horses. Grant can put the players in positions to be successful but he can't shot for them. He IS responsible for the players he recruits and has on the roster.  We have gotten beat, in Grant's words, physically, the past two losses. He may need to go get some muscle for next year.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Shark84 said:

Don't think it is the coaching that is losing these games, ya gotta have the horses. Grant can put the players in positions to be successful but he can't shot for them. He IS responsible for the players he recruits and has on the roster.  We have gotten beat, in Grant's words, physically, the past two losses. He may need to go get some muscle for next year.

Agreed. We are getting beat due to our lack of size. Can't get anything inside so we are forced to continually look for the 3 ball. We need size and height to balance our athleticism. 

2 minutes ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

Agreed. We are getting beat due to our lack of size. Can't get anything inside so we are forced to continually look for the 3 ball. We need size and height to balance our athleticism. 

I don't think the lack of size is that big of a deal. The lack of hitting open 3s is the reason we lost all 4 games. If we go bigger and can't hit 3s the offense would be even uglier.

• Confused 1

33 minutes ago, RiseUNT said:

I don't think the lack of size is that big of a deal. The lack of hitting open 3s is the reason we lost all 4 games. If we go bigger and can't hit 3s the offense would be even uglier.

I have a different view of the game. If you are bigger on the inside, andcoached to use that size, you don’t rely on the three.

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, RiseUNT said:

We are getting out-muscled, blocked out, and unable to get much in the paint which forces the team to overcompensate by forcing up more 3's (many of which are erratic and ill-advised). I partially agree that we are flat out just missing our 3's (especially Rose), but in my eyes it is a combination of the factors. If we had more size, we aren't relying on the 3 ball as much

Edited by UNT Texas Hooligan
  • Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, greenminer said:

I have a different view of the game. If you are bigger on the inside, andcoached to use that size, you don’t rely on the three.

Well modern basketball disagrees with you. If you can't stretch the floor you are a fossil.

Look at UVA. They always have a huge team win a lot of games, ranked high, and then lose to a shooting 16 seed.

Edited by RiseUNT

23 hours ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

We are getting outmuscled, blocked out, and unable to get much in the paint which forces the team to overcompensate by forcing up more 3's. I partially agree that we are flat out just missing our 3's (especially Rose), but in my eyes it is a combination of the factors. If we had more size, we aren't relying on the 3 ball as much

In the 4 losses or all the games? Yes if our guys had more size with the same skill they wouldn't be at a mid major. 

Edited by RiseUNT
  • Downvote 2

3 minutes ago, RiseUNT said:

Well modern basketball disagrees with you. If you can't stretch the floor you are a fossil.

Maybe.  I believe you win postseason games with great guard play.

But the physics of my argument dont disappear with age: the closer you are to the basket, the easier it is to make a shot.

Also, even if you can stretch the floor, if you’re no threat inside you’re easier to defend.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, greenminer said:

Maybe.  I believe you win postseason games with great guard play.

But the physics of my argument dont disappear with age: the closer you are to the basket, the easier it is to make a shot.

Also, even if you can stretch the floor, if you’re no threat inside you’re easier to defend.

Was your argument taking the ball inside or we need more size? 

I feel the past couple games we are doing a good job of driving but the defense is collapsing and we just aren't hitting the open shots.

3 minutes ago, RiseUNT said:

In the 4 losses or all the games? Yes if our guys had more size with the same skill they wouldn't be had a mid major. 

All games. And I'm not arguing the skill level, which I believe is good. I'm talking about getting some size. 

Just now, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

All games. And I'm not arguing the skill level, which I believe is good. I'm talking about getting some size. 

So 18 wins with 4 gaurds isn't good? By more size do you mean having a traditional power forward? Are you saying our gaurds should be bigger?

Watching ODU I feel like we lost because they made contested shots and we missed open shots.

During the CBI run we were rolling because we were making open and contested shots.

5 minutes ago, RiseUNT said:

So 18 wins with 4 gaurds isn't good? By more size do you mean having a traditional power forward? Are you saying our gaurds should be bigger?

Watching ODU I feel like we lost because they made contested shots and we missed open shots.

During the CBI run we were rolling because we were making open and contested shots.

It may sound good to you but I'm not content beating up glorified D2 schools and barely eeking out wins against teams we should be killing. You can't honestly tell me there was a game you could point to that was the moment this team announced to everyone that we have arrived. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

27 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

2yrs ago we could not beat average to bad teams. Now we are trashing 20 win season and gig’n the coach! BS

Wasn't trashing a 20 win season and don't know what gig'n the coach means.

I just said that Grant in his 3 years as a head coach he has only beaten average or bad teams while losing in the first round of 2 conference tournaments. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RiseUNT said:

Back on topic. We need to win this game easily.

I thought we would come on strong and whip Old Dom...color me wrong! Off of that dismal performance, I'm now a little wary of Charlotte...

its_a_trap.jpg.4a0b36a91894045e24a507159eabdfe5.jpg

8 hours ago, RiseUNT said:

No it's down. OU and ODU are the only top 100 talent teams we played and we lost both by double digits. 

Yes Grant is good at beating average to bad teams.

You forgot to add that both teams are pretty good and damn near impossible to beat at their place. 

Grant is a very good basketball coach, and I doubt many who really know college basketball would disagree.  

• Upvote 6