Thoughts from the 1969 Media Guide

Eagle71

Just now, Harry said:

Great stuff!   Yes I’d say losing defensive tackle Joe Greene would raise a question mark on 69 defense lol!

Exactly - Mean Joe and that defense were nice and inspiring! That's why our current philosophy that the best 69 defense is a good 69 offense is so frustrating to so many fans. 

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 2

2 hours ago, letsgiveacheer said:

After 69, it was hard. Rust finished with a 7-3 record and second place in the Valley but that was his last good year. This was followed with three losing seasons. He could not recruit.

No kidding. I came across an article that I found whilst perusing the "Portal to Texas history" about Rust's last recruitment class. It was almost all juco's. 

• Thanks 3

18 hours ago, drex said:

I am amazed that Silver Eagle used 'whilst'...tip of the hat to you.

Yeah, "whilst" is not your usual fan board word. But then, I prefer regular English, with all it's wonderful descriptive words,  to the usual dumbed down sports code-speak.  It's similar to my preference for the original (Maurice McAdow led) North Texas marching Band, rather than the current (by comparison) dumbed down version. 

So, no credit for "perusing?"

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

• 6 months later...

Reading our thoughts and concerns as we get ready for Mason's final year it's interesting to go back and read Rust's comments going into Steve Ramsey's senior season 50 years ago.  

NTSU 1966-1967-1968-1969  30-8-1.  With Ramsey at the helm 22-6-1. Good times at Fouts!  See y'all again on the 31st!

Fly Like An Eagle!

Edited by Eagle71
  • Lovely Take 1

On 1/31/2019 at 12:46 PM, SilverEagle said:

No kidding. I came across an article that I found whilst perusing the "Portal to Texas history" about Rust's last recruitment class. It was almost all juco's. 

Yes, and almost done of them ever played because a rule change made them ineligible.   

This primarily Juco class contains several first team AA's and on paper should have been stellar.  

Rust gets his usual bad rap, for poor recruiting.   

What really happened is that other southern schools started heavily recruiting afro-American athletes and NT with their next to nothing budget couldn't compete.

Fry came in after Rust and did much better because he was Fry. 

Of course, NT's brass thought that Fry was spending too much money and cut his already meager budget.   

Fry left and NT dropped the budget and any relevance in D1 football.   This strategy remained until recently with the hiring of Baker and development of a pro-athletic BOR.  

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1