DRC: UNT turns over information on raccoon incident to authorities

Brett Vito

4 hours ago, GTWT said:

I know you've had trouble understanding this, but the fact that it was a raccoon is irrelevant.  What does matter is that this was cruel and sadistic behavior.  Being disturbed by such behavior is not "dumb".  

I know you've had trouble understanding this, but I don't disagree that the behavior was cruel and sadistic.  We're talking about magnitude here.  At the end of the day, what they did to a pest animal shouldn't ruin a young man's playing career and education potentially with the loss of scholarship.  Further, making a sweeping generalization about a young man from one incident is extremely disingenuous, especially considering how little actual information we have about the situation or Muhammad's role in it beyond filming it. 

Let's give an example of another player that made a mistake.  Turner Smiley is by all accounts a great young man, but if you remember, he got arrested for a DWI after the 2015 season.  He made a mistake, a mistake that in my opinion is worse than posting a video of a raccoon getting mauled by dogs, but there were no cries to kick him off the team and take his scholarship, or if there were they did not reach the same national attention this BS is getting.

And while we're on the topic of sadistic behavior, I find it ironic that there is so much outrage for this considering the sport of football has elements sadism in it, and that element of sadism is directed at other people, not a worthless raccoon.

This is a question of does the punishment fit the crime.  Should a young man's life be turned inside out just because of one mistake involving the death of a raccoon?  Would you ruin a person's life just to get "justice" for a raccoon?

Edited by peanuts104
  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 1

6 minutes ago, peanuts104 said:

I know you've had trouble understanding this, but I don't disagree that the behavior was cruel and sadistic.  We're talking about magnitude here.  At the end of the day, what they did to a pest animal shouldn't ruin a young man's playing career and education potentially with the loss of scholarship.  Further, making a sweeping generalization about a young man from one incident is extremely disingenuous, especially considering how little actual information we have about the situation or Muhammad's role in it beyond filming it. 

Let's give an example of another player that made a mistake.  Turner Smiley is by all accounts a great young man, but if you remember, he got arrested for a DWI after the 2015 season.  He made a mistake, a mistake that in my opinion is worse than posting a video of a raccoon getting mauled by dogs, but there were no cries to kick him off the team and take his scholarship, or if there were they did not reach the same national attention this BS is getting.

And while we're on the topic of sadistic behavior, I find it ironic that there is so much outrage for this considering the sport of football has elements sadism in it, and that element of sadism is directed at other people, not a worthless raccoon.

This is a question of does the punishment fit the crime.  Should a young man's life be turned inside out just because of one mistake involving the death of a raccoon?  Would you ruin a person's life just to get "justice" for a raccoon?

I think you're leaping way ahead of where the current status of this is.  His punishment hasn't been decided yet, has it?

Authorities, both university and law enforcement, have to investigate for any possible behavior that is much worse than this single incident.  It could be a one-off, or one of these individuals might have ties to something much bigger.

Knowing that there are potentially larger implications here, I don't think this can be easily dismissed and forgiven.

Not sure the DWI story works here.  How many of us made stupid decisions with alcohol in college? Now how many of us made stupid decisions with dogs mauling small mammals?

• Eye Roll 1

2 hours ago, peanuts104 said:

You keep making this to be about it involving a raccoon.  It doesn't matter if it was a raccoon a badger, or someone's Chihuahua.  It's still wrong to participate in in or be amused by cruel behavior.  As said before, university & civil authorities will investigate the incident and Muhammad's role in it.  It will be up to those authorities to decide the proper consequences.

Your attitude toward inhumane behavior bothers me nearly as much as what happened.  I spent 12 years working as a biologist for TPWD & four more years working for a Federal agency.  I worked with a lot of hunters & fishermen and they were, nearly to a man (and woman) appalled by unnecessary suffering.  Animals die.  That's part of nature & it's part of fishing and hunting but to take pleasure in causing pain & suffering is not something that should be tolerated - even on a sports message board.  

• Upvote 9
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 3

When I was a few years younger than Mr. Muhammad, I dispatched a crow that I had wounded with my BB gun using a concrete turf roller.

After college, I spent almost 50 years working at progressive levels of responsibility and authority in finance, construction, and both low and high-tech manufacturing companies.

Of the things described in the two sentences above, I truly do not know which was the most inhumane.

If investigation shows that the event was participated in and filmed on a lark, and if there is no recurring pattern of such behavior, I would be inclined to cut him some slack. Young people sometimes do really crazy shit, later coming to know the error of their ways and repenting. JMHO.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

On ‎2‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 4:39 PM, GrandGreen said:

I wonder if all you hunters on here really believe that shooting an animal is that much better.  Maybe if it is killed instantly, but there are no guarantees that will happen.  

Most hunters abide by a 'hunting ethic', one aspect of which is to not cause unnecessary pain & suffering.  

… 

without knowing exactly what happened.

Well, we do have some pretty graphic video posted by Mr. Mohammad showing us pretty clearly what happened.

• Upvote 3

On ‎2‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 7:50 AM, UNTLifer said:

I don’t agree with what occurred but I do agree with @EagleMBA  I also find it a stretch to call this young man a sociopath based on this one event. 

If you are talking about my comment, I didn't call him a sociopath. I said that cruelty to animals was a red flag associated with sociopaths. The comment was not necessarily about him (unless he thought that it was great entertainment). It was my reaction to all the dismissive comments by others on the board that seemed to think that the treatment of that animal was insignificant and nothing to be concerned about. 

• Upvote 4
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

Sorry guys.  I don't condone sicking dogs on raccoons (nice way for your dog to lose an eye or get rabies, idiot), but at the end of the day, I just can't get worked up about this.  I can't see how it would be prosecutable in any way, and while it certainly is pretty low-class, low-class has pretty much become the  standard based on most college-aged kids twitter pages. 

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, MeanGreenTeeth said:

Sorry guys.  I don't condone sicking dogs on raccoons (nice way for your dog to lose an eye or get rabies, idiot), but at the end of the day, I just can't get worked up about this.  I can't see how it would be prosecutable in any way, and while it certainly is pretty low-class, low-class has pretty much become the  standard based on most college-aged kids twitter pages. 

I completely agree. 

The only "teachable" moment for Muhammad is simply that as an athlete he should be careful about what he posts.  

Edited by NorthTexan95
  • Upvote 1

16 hours ago, GTWT said:

Most hunters abide by a 'hunting ethic', one aspect of which is to not cause unnecessary pain & suffering.  

Well, we do have some pretty graphic video posted by Mr. Mohammad showing us pretty clearly what happened.

Shooting at some animal in a humane way is an amusing concept.

Does the video clearly show what Mohammad involvement was?  Did he catch the raccoons, did the dogs belong to him, did he decide it would be great fun to have the dogs attack?

• Upvote 2