NEW OC Speculation MegaThread

UNTLifer

1 hour ago, emmitt01 said:

Bingo!  

What was the ratio of pass to run on 1st down when 99.9% of DC’s will expect a run?  

What was the ratio on 3rd down because we were consistently in 3rd and 4+ in the second half of games?  

And, while I admit that Dickey had his faults, he seemed to find a way to surprise even OUR fans when he ran the patented “Dickey Draw” on 3rd down...a passing down

By the way....those two possessions came at such a critical time in that game that after looking it up I had forgotten just how freaking damn good our defense was playing at the time.   But our offensive play calling vomited all over their efforts there and I don’t think we EVER recovered defensively the rest of the season.

We were leading 21-6, and starting at the end of the 1st quarter La Tech goes on a long 18 play drive but our defense holds them to a FG.  21-9 NT.

Our next offensive possession we run once and then throw two incompletes and punt, using up one minute of clock and forcing the D right back out on the field.  

La Tech goes on another long 8 play drive and scores a TD.  21-16 NT.  

Defense is tired now.

Our next possession we throw three incompletes using up 1:26 seconds of clock, punt and force the defense back out again and we hold Tech to another FG.  21-19.

Our D is really exhausted now.

Our next possession we try two throws and Torrey coughs up the ball,... but our already exhausted defense somehow holds La Tech to a three and out, forcing the punt that Darden fumbles at the North Texas 5.  And of course...La Tech punched it in on the next play for the lead with 32 seconds left in the half.  26-21 La Tech.

Thirty two seconds left.  Had we simply snapped the ball and fallen down just once,.....much less attempt to establish some kind of ground control run game on any of our three previous possessions we go into the half with the lead.    

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 2

1 hour ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

3 incomplete passes took 1:26 off the clock? Must've been 2000 foot high hail marys on all 3 passes. 

Actually no, my bad,  There were 4 plays.  A scramble for 5 yards that got called back on a hold, an incomplete pass, a sack and another incomplete pass.  4 pass plays, only three counted...using a total of 1:26 off the clock.

Our time of possession was 3 minutes 19 seconds, translating to our defense being on the field for 35 of the 45 snaps of the 2nd quarter.  

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Eye Roll 1

32 minutes ago, MeanGreen22 said:

Now I really want a game where we do nothing but pass just to piss Rick off. Id love to see that game thread. 

I had to double check the box score from the Vizza-Navy game in 2007.  We actually did run the ball that day.

All I remember from that game is our coach telling the frosh QB he'd have to pass for a ninth TD for us to have a chance.

One of the more demoralizing losses I ever witnessed.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, MeanGreen22 said:

Now I really want a game where we do nothing but pass just to piss Rick off. Id love to see that game thread. 

“Sure, we’re up 40-7 right now but if we just ran the ball we’d be up 75-0!”

Do we win it or lose?  And is there a conference championship on the line or just an OOC game?

Just asking since those things tend to really matter how many pages it’ll go.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Ray 1

44 minutes ago, MeanGreen2019 said:

Anyone know when Seth is going to announce the DB’s and RB’s coach? Probably after he finds an OC right?

DB and RB coaches have been gone for awhile.  I'd imaging they should all be announced quickly.  

They could do like the Cowboys and name three coaches but not announce what they are doing.  Then Seth can hold a press conference saying one coach will be calling plays while at the same time Baker is holding another press conference saying someone else will be calling plays. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Just FYI, while this does not tell the full story of the season, i think it's really cool to look at Mason Fine's splits as it relates to 1st half v 2nd half and how he progressed by month...

I've spent wayyy too much time looking at this so far this morning.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/player/splits/_/id/4039073/mason-fine

On 1/30/2019 at 8:55 AM, golfingomez said:

guys... 

don't worry, i've been putting together my resume... although they stopped making NCAA football a few years back... i had an offense that was averaging 42 points per game...

I don't want to brag, but i'm pretty amazing at the game...

Pretty sure i could do what all those 'experts' do.

But the big question is Did you stay at the Holiday INN Express this year?  Other wise you are not qualified.  I really miss NCAA football. 

4 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

Just a name i keep hearing alot. Will be tought to pry from WSU. He is highly thought of so it wont be easy to snag him.

Should be easy to pry him away.   Going by recent history he can get a P5 job in three years at North Texas.  WSU's OC can only get a G5 job.  🙂 

Edited by NorthTexan95
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Won't be easy to move someone from a specific positional coach position to a OC? Makes sense. 

He made almost 10k more than Graham made last year. Leach just got an extension. So I am sure assistants got raises as well. He is currently Mikes top ranking offensive assitant. I am meaning he isn't going to let him just walk out with out trying to sweeten the pot. Dave is def doable 

Just now, TheReal_jayD said:

He made almost 10k more than Graham made last year. Leach just got an extension. So I am sure assistants got raises as well. He is currently Mikes top ranking offensive assitant. I am meaning he isn't going to let him just walk out with out trying to sweeten the pot. Dave is def doable 

Does he call plays at WSU?  If not then that would be a huge reason to come here. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

Pry him away from Wazzu and not only does Littrell burn his bridge with Leach permanently, but probably also puts Leach on the market.  If his Athletic Department cannot outbid "little 'ol North Texas", he's outta there ASAP.

• Confused 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1