NEW OC Speculation MegaThread

UNTLifer

5 hours ago, TheReal_jayD said:

20 games under 500. One bowl win in 9 seasons. Sign me up!!

Oh....and 25 straight conference wins.

Mock him all you want but the results are what they are...accomplishments that have never been done here before or since.  And it was accomplished by running the ball when we needed to and playing excellent defense, In Dickey’s case top 10 Defense.  

Rick

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 3

I would take Dickey ball again in a heart beat with the resources we offer now.  I would also demand better, more consistent recruiting.  A lot of his success wasn't just his x-and-os, it was a once-in-lifetime class, with a few steals in the surrounding years.

It's a different era, maybe he's figured recruiting out? I have no idea.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

11 minutes ago, greenminer said:

I would take Dickey ball again in a heart beat with the resources we offer now.  I would also demand better, more consistent recruiting.  A lot of his success wasn't just his x-and-os, it was a once-in-lifetime class, with a few steals in the surrounding years.

It's a different era, maybe he's figured recruiting out? I have no idea.

Who cares? The topic of Dickey ball is irrelevant to what is going to happen in the hiring of our next offensive coordinator...who will run the hybrid spread that Seth will want to employ.

2 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

Mock him all you want but the results are what they are...accomplishments that have never been done here before or since.  And it was accomplished by running the ball when we needed to and playing excellent defense, In Dickey’s case top 10 Defense.  

Rick

In Dickey's 1st 3 years he had 8 wins.... 8 wins TOTAL!!!

Seth has 9 wins TWICE ins his 1st 3 years. 

But yet you whine about running ball on each thread.... I would love to see what you had to say about him if he had 8 wins total. 

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

Rick

With all due respect, and this will piss off a lot of people -- We were an average (at best) team that played in the perhaps the worst conference in the history of D1 ball. Yes, the players got it done on the field, but the OOC results were dismal. 

• Upvote 6
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, TheReal_jayD said:

In Dickey's 1st 3 years he had 8 wins.... 8 wins TOTAL!!!

Seth has 9 wins TWICE ins his 1st 3 years. 

But yet you whine about running ball on each thread.... I would love to see what you had to say about him if he had 8 wins total. 

Yeah...8 wins in three years that included two over Texas Tech in Lubbottocks and one of the still rarest of wins that garnered us a mention on national TV just a few weeks back,...a win over Boise...in Boise, their last home conference loss to date.

In the mean time he also played one of the most brutal non conference slates you’ll ever read about nor will ever see again.

3 vs Texas Tech

Oklahoma

Texas A&M

Arizona State

Kansas

LSU

Baylor

TCU

Houston

Kansas State.

There were things I didn’t care about with DD, mostly his public attitude towards OOC games, facilities, a critical public...(all 500 of us), and the AD.  But he earned hardware despite the difficulties that no one can ignore or deny and must respect unless they are just into kidding themselves.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

16 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

With all due respect, and this will piss off a lot of people -- We were an average (at best) team that played in the perhaps the worst conference in the history of D1 ball. Yes, the players got it done on the field, but the OOC results were dismal. 

You can only play who lines up against you. 
Unfortunately, in those early 2000's teams' day, the teams lined up against them in OOC games were Top 10 teams looking for a "primer" game that RV was happy to provide in order to pay bills.   Gotta think that if the 2002 team had a schedule like 2018's, they likely would have won 10+ and possibly the bowl game (they beat the C-USA co-champs in their bowl that year).

And we may not want to criticize the SBC's strength back in the day...   6 CUSA schools were listed in the "bottom 10" this year (Weekly Regulars: Rice/UTEP/WKU, as well as UTSA/Charlotte/ODU).    So put the stones down, lest you break a window.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

Yeah...8 wins in three years that included two over Texas Tech in Lubbottocks and one of the still rarest of wins that garnered us a mention on national TV just a few weeks back,...a win over Boise...in Boise, their last home conference loss to date.

In the mean time he also played one of the most brutal non conference slates you’ll ever read about nor will ever see again.

3 vs Texas Tech

Oklahoma

Texas A&M

Arizona State

Kansas

LSU

Baylor

TCU

Houston

Kansas State.

There were things I didn’t care about with DD, mostly his public attitude towards OOC games, facilities, a critical public...(all 500 of us), and the AD.  But he earned hardware despite the difficulties that no one can ignore or deny and must respect unless they are just into kidding themselves.

Rick

11 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

Look at that OOC.  How do you think this team would do against that?  

However, @Monkeypox is right, The Buick doesn't even run DickeyBall™ anymore.  

Point I am making is ease up a little bit. Seth wants to run the ball. But each of the last two season UNT has lost its starting running back. When players go down sometimes you have to adjust philosophies. I will take 9 wins and a mediocre run game for the next 25 years. It would change the image of UNT football for sure. Dickey ran that style off offense due to the fact he couldnt get the athletes outside. If dickey was hired tomorrow to be HC his offense would look almost nothing like it did in 2000.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

Look at that OOC.  How do you think this team would do against that?  

However, @Monkeypox is right, The Buick doesn't even run DickeyBall™ anymore.  

Actually he sort of does, though he’s learned/evolved into developing the QB and integrating the passing game while running the ball, which is what his boss wants him to run.  

Fisher knows you must play defense and run the ball to compete in the SEC.  The Aggies had the 21st Ranked Running Offense in ‘18 and averaged over 5 yards a carry.  Interestingly DD still utilizes the TE as well to do it and signed the state’s top TE in Brock’s Baylor Cupp last month.

Want to know why Baylor Cupp, from a 3A Texas High School became one of the nation’s top tightends?  Because his HS coach, Chad Worrel played and coached for North Texas’  G.A. Moore and DEMANDS the unique skill of RUN BLOCKING in his triple option scheme....and Cupp got damn good at it along with learning how to run good routs and catch the ball.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 2

25 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

Point I am making is ease up a little bit. Seth wants to run the ball. But each of the last two season UNT has lost its starting running back. When players go down sometimes you have to adjust philosophies. I will take 9 wins and a mediocre run game for the next 25 years. It would change the image of UNT football for sure. Dickey ran that style off offense due to the fact he couldnt get the athletes outside. If dickey was hired tomorrow to be HC his offense would look almost nothing like it did in 2000.

For the record I agree with you 100%.  It's just there is no need to bag on DD for his results the first few years.  Terrible facilities, terrible support from the administration, and a murderous schedule.  GH made more than DD did here, several of the position coaches made more than his coordinators did.  

For what he had DD over performed.  People thought he didn't, he got let go, and then we got a solid decade of suck.   THEN we got serious about FB.

Just now, Cerebus said:

For the record I agree with you 100%.  It's just there is no need to bag on DD for his results the first few years.  Terrible facilities, terrible support from the administration, and a murderous schedule.  GH made more than DD did here, several of the position coaches made more than his coordinators did.  

For what he had DD over performed.  People thought he didn't, he got let go, and then we got a solid decade of suck.   THEN we got serious about FB.

Sorry that came off as bagging on DD. I was just trying to say Seth is not doing that Bad of a job. But you wouldnt know seeing some of the post. The only person i would bag is RV..

• Upvote 6

2 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

That’s all you gotta say...and I sure hope your right.  

Rick

We only pass 53% of the time https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/stat/passing-play-pct?date=2019-01-08

I am sure that if we had a better line and didn't have RB health issues that percentage would be smaller. Also this site owns.

1 hour ago, All About UNT said:

We only pass 53% of the time 

Yes, but the how and the when is more critical isn’t it? 

Such as after leading 21-9 in the 2nd quarter vs La Tech in what was basically our first game towards a conference championship we passed 11 times and ran it 2 times, twice  quickly putting our defense back on the field giving Tech more chances and time to get back into the game which they did.  

Thats what...81% pass, 19% Run?

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

DD sort of put UNT back on the map from being dropped down. During his run I was a high school boy in Arkansas and I heard of the success happening in Denton then.

25 straight conference wins in a row is unprecedented. Consider his administrative support, AD, and dismal facilities, it has to be considered some sort of miracle. 

SL is doing a fine job. GH leaving does not hurt my feelings. I suspect a lot of the deficiencies that Rick mentioned will be cleaned up, i.e. situational play calling. 

• Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

Yes, but the how and the when is more critical isn’t it? 

Such as after leading 21-9 in the 2nd quarter vs La Tech in what was basically our first game towards a conference championship we passed 11 times and ran it 2 times, twice  quickly putting our defense back on the field giving Tech more chances and time to get back into the game which they did.  

Thats what...81% pass, 19% Run?

Rick

Bingo!  

What was the ratio of pass to run on 1st down when 99.9% of DC’s will expect a run?  

What was the ratio on 3rd down because we were consistently in 3rd and 4+ in the second half of games?  

And, while I admit that Dickey had his faults, he seemed to find a way to surprise even OUR fans when he ran the patented “Dickey Draw” on 3rd down...a passing down

Edited by emmitt01
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

Bingo!  

What was the ratio of pass to run on 1st down when 99.9% of DC’s will expect a run?  

What was the ratio on 3rd down because we were consistently in 3rd and 4+ in the second half of games?  

And, while I admit that Dickey had his faults, he seemed to find a way to surprise even OUR fans when he ran the patented “Dickey Draw” on 3rd down...a passing down

Ha!  I have a very distinct memory in 2003 of an irate student yelling at the play calling. “Way to go, Dickey!  Setting up the run with the run!”  I still laugh about it. 😂

• Haha 1