Thoughts on Coaching Staff Openings

TheReal_jayD

Just now, MeanGreenTexan said:

Fedora?!?!     Is that in the realm?   I would think him coming here as OC would be less likely than Morris!

One is Unemployed. One is a HC. Fedora got a nice check when leaving UNC. North Texas may be a sexy job to come and bounce back. He is from Texas. Has a working relationship with Seth. Could be thinking Head Job will be open next year at North Texas. I think its def an option. But I really see Seth going young and having more of an imprint on the offense.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

One is Unemployed. One is a HC. Fedora got a nice check when leaving UNC. North Texas may be a sexy job to come and bounce back. He is from Texas. Has a working relationship with Seth. Could be thinking Head Job will be open next year at North Texas. I think its def an option. But I really see Seth going young and having more of an imprint on the offense.

Man, as much as I like Morris...  if Fedora would be interested in coming here in a HCIW-type role, I would be thrilled.   Fedora is an accomplished coach.   Not sure what happened at NC his last 2 years, but the rest of his HC tenure, both at NC & Southern Miss, was very successful.

• Upvote 4

Mainord intrigues me and only because he is on the staff and seems like a good guy that is well respected.  Those are strictly observations from a far as in far away.   Bring in a youngster to be the QB coach that could learn under Littrell and Mainord.

• Upvote 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

47 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

Disclaimer: GMG got knowledge earlier in the week who the RB and DB coaches are. We were asked not to ruin the announcement. But it will be coming later this week, and I believe the fan base will be very happy with both hirings.

With Graham leaving for USC that opens up the OC/QB job. Don't be surprised if Graham does not try to snag his good buddy Joel Filani to come out to Southern Cal with him to help implement the Air Raid.

Since the only opening currently is the OC that is the opening I will look at.

Pie In The Sky Canidate :

Eric Morris Incarnate Word HC

I think this has a 1% chance of happening. I think Morris and Carthal at SFA will be very high on Wrens board when Seth bounces for a P5. It would be nice for him to come in and get accustomed to Denton. And so there wouldn't be a huge turnover for when Seth leaves. I don't know the exact numbers for Incarnate Word HC. But I would think with what Graham was making plus a little raise would be close if not more. But leaving being a head coach to become an OC rarely happens and the fact his staff would become unemployed is the main reason I don't think it would happen.

Veteran Coaching Options

Doug Meacham Former Kansas/TCU/UH OC -

If Seth Decides to go veteran route I believe this is the top target. He visited the staff and Denton before the bowl game and is very highly regarded in the coaching profession.

Larry Fedora Former UNC/Southern Miss Coach -

If Fedora is looking to bounce back he could come assist his former assistant Littrell. The Two were together for Fedora best seasons at UNC.

Young Coaching Options ( I get the feeling this is the most likely to happen)

Garrett Riley former Kansas TE/FB coach -

Lincoln younger brother is a very bright young mind. He has a ton of potential. Would be a home run hire if he turns out to be anything like his older brother.

Kevin Klimer Former OC Bowling Green

He has play calling experience and Leach ties.

Last but not least option Promote From within

Tommy Mainord

He is loved by the players and has play calling experience

I would add Applewhite to the list. Local recruiting and coaching experience! 

Edited by Wag Tag
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

27 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

I don't see Seth going that route. That's why I didn't add him to the list. Minimal OC success. No air raid ties. Kind of a tool. Google Ed Oliver jacket video.

Top 10 # 8 in total yards per game not minimal, but I could understand the air raid ties!

• Upvote 1