If everybody stays,

MEANGREENCOACH2

Realistically, we should win our division conference.  Next - We have a great chance to win our overall conference (and should win IMO).  Next - We have a great chance to at least get to a Bowl game ... That is where my toss-up would be if we win or lose that.  Even if he loses a Bowl game, he could still be poached if the rest of his season was decent or better.  Regardless if the season doesn't live up to "expectations" (which vary greatly), I highly doubt anyone from UNT will be "firing" SL, regardless of how well he does/doesn’t do.  He is the best thing to happen to this program in a long time, in addition to his staff.  I think going into the season, we need to worry more about making sure Mason Fine stays healthy for the long haul.  Just my opinion.

Edited by Jessica M Hall
  • Upvote 2

10 hours ago, peanuts104 said:

Do you even remember where we were at the end of the 2015 season?

Do you even remember how we finished the past 2 seasons?

I mean seriously come on, in the year 2025 are we going to bring up 2015?? At one point do you let the past go and look at how we are doing now?  I was one of 100 MAYBE left in the stadium as we get embarrassed on homecoming that year.  I was screaming RUN IT UP knowing the end of Mac & RV had to be soon.  

If I take your argument into the basketball side of things remember the Benford era, does that mean McCasland shouldn't have success and shouldn't have been receiving votes??

C'MN

5 minutes ago, MEANGREENCOACH2 said:

Do you even remember how we finished the past 2 seasons?

I mean seriously come on, in the year 2025 are we going to bring up 2015?? At one point do you let the past go and look at how we are doing now?  I was one of 100 MAYBE left in the stadium as we get embarrassed on homecoming that year.  I was screaming RUN IT UP knowing the end of Mac & RV had to be soon.  

If I take your argument into the basketball side of things remember the Benford era, does that mean McCasland shouldn't have success and shouldn't have been receiving votes??

C'MN

I would rather have a thoughtfully built program with sustained success than be worrying about being top 25 this year and I certainly wouldn't consider a season a bust just because a G5 school didn't make it to the top 25.

• Upvote 1

Troy has won 31 games the last three seasons. They ain't got no ranking.

App State won 41 in 4 seasons (Satterfield went 51-24), and they were ranked for a week.

Top 25, while lofty, is not setting yourself up for success.

I wanna win a bowl game, dangit. Division title? Sure I'll take another. 

• Upvote 4

13 hours ago, RBP79 said:

Annnnn....a bowl win is a must!

A bowl win is not all that important especially if you aren't playing a team that will end the season ranked in the top 25.   Winning your division and conference are much more important.  You aren't going to get a quality bowl game opponent without division/conference championship unless we  undefeated out of conference schedule and have "big injury" excuse for losing the ONE game that keeps us from winnibg CUSA West. A competitibe performance against a quality team is more important than beating a barely bowl eligible G5.

Edited by Mike Jackson

The offense may be phenomenal, as in averaging 40+ points a game.  It may end up being one of if not the best in North Texas history.  And, we could still end up winning fewer games than in 2018.  I fear that some of us are really underestimating how the defensive losses will factor into all this--not to mention the coaching shakeups.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1