Khairi Muhammad's in the Doghouse

Green Crazy

49 minutes ago, Venson said:

I am not going to say what should or should not happen to him because that is not my decision. I will say what I think will happen. I could be wrong. I honestly believe that with all the negative press that the University is receiving, I think he will eventually be dismissed from the team. I say that because UNT is trying to build something here. I think with Baker and SL on the rise like they are, that they will not let one player stop them. I believe UNT will look at what happened at Baylor and say "we don't want that." I am not equating rape with this at all. My point is that something bad happened there and the response of the University, football program, and AD was not enough for most and it caused a lot of problems there that they will deal with for a long time. I believe NS, WB, and SL will say that a G5 school trying to raise it's stock just cannot afford for this happen. Let's be honest, if they dismiss him from the team, there will be a quick report and that will calm down the people calling for his head. The people that think he should stay on the team will say it's wrong, but they will move on. They will not make a big scene about it. If he stays, the people who are upset about the video will not let it rest. They will keep going until UNT is seen in the same light as Baylor nationally. I just don't see NS, WB, and SL believing that Muhammad is so valuable to the team that they can keep him. Just my opinion. 

Big lesson learned  for the younger generation, stop posting everything you do or say to social media.

If you think he should or will be kicked off the team you guys are idiots. He is a kid from inner city Dallas and went home with a teammate for the weekend who is a country kid that hunts,fish, and ride horses. The teammate and his family were training their hunting dogs while khairi was there and him being a city kid who never saw nothing like that he thought it was amusing and recorded it and put it on his social media. FYI the family actually eat raccoons.  People do that with hogs as well and never seen it considered as animal cruelty.Y’all need to grow a pair it’s Definitely not that serious. 

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 5

7 hours ago, peanuts104 said:

You missed my point or intentionally disregarded it.  Organizing implies it was all his idea.  It implies that he called all the people there to view it. We have no evidence of that and the Star Telegram can go pound sand for insinuating as such since there is no evidence to that.  He posted a video of something bad that he shouldn't have posted.  We don't know much beyond that.

We know he found the video amusing enough to post it under his name - a name associated with UNT athletics & the University of North Texas.  It's disturbing that you find it possible to defend the young man.  Of course, it's just a raccoon.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

9 hours ago, 97and03 said:

Maybe it won’t even be up to SL. The university has a Dean of Students who could also take action independently of the AD. 

She's a pretty big supporter of athletics but can separate her feelings from the matter just as well. She'd also do a thorough investigation before making any kind of decision rather than act on emotion or a mob demanding the worst possible punishment right this moment.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

They're not dismissing him. The university statement stated it being a "teaching moment." Like when Saban had a marquee OL get pulled over with 2 pistols with the serial numbers shaved off and 10 ounces of weed..."teaching moment." It's the typical sweep it under the rug verbiage. 

I'm not advocating for a dismissal. Stupid people do stupid things. At 22 years old thinking this is acceptable is an IQ indicator. Is what it is. Maybe, hopefully, he does learn from it. But if the history of "student"-athletes tells us anything, doubtful. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, GTWT said:

We know he found the video amusing enough to post it under his name - a name associated with UNT athletics & the University of North Texas.  It's disturbing that you find it possible to defend the young man.  Of course, it's just a raccoon.

And I agree, he shouldn't have posted the video.  But I don't think videoing it makes him an evil person either, especially since, as you said, it's just a raccoon.  Now you're getting it.

6 hours ago, SilverEagle said:

Not really. Cruelty to animals is one of the red flags for a sociopath. Lack of empathy and insensitivity to other's pain is a couple of others.  

Yeah, but he didn't sit there and rip the raccoon apart himself.  In all likelihood, he didn't even sick the dogs on it.  He just filmed it.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

21 minutes ago, peanuts104 said:

And I agree, he shouldn't have posted the video.  But I don't think videoing it makes him an evil person either, especially since, as you said, it's just a raccoon.  Now you're getting it.

Yeah, but he didn't sit there and rip the raccoon apart himself.  In all likelihood, he didn't even sick the dogs on it.  He just filmed it.

…..and by filming it, he willingly participated in animal cruelty. If he filmed it to take it to the authorities for evidence of animal cruelty, then that might be different. But he filmed it, and then subsequently shared it with the world, for entertainment purposes.  Call me someone who overreacts or someone who is weak, but what happened with that raccoon was nothing short of animal cruelty.

And people can be as dismissive as they want about raccoons, but with the possible exception of Border Collies, they are smarter than dogs. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 2

3 hours ago, UNTFan23 said:

She's a pretty big supporter of athletics but can separate her feelings from the matter just as well. She'd also do a thorough investigation before making any kind of decision rather than act on emotion or a mob demanding the worst possible punishment right this moment.

What authority does a dean of students have over a student not on campus and not charged with any offense?  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

What authority does a dean of students have over a student not on campus and not charged with any offense?  

Doesn't matter whether the incident took place on campus or not. The Dean of Students has the Student Code of Conduct they can use to enforce a punishment if an investigation determines wrongdoing. Same can be said of whether or not a crime has taken place. Cheating on a test isn't a crime but it does go against the Code of Conduct.

5 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

The code of conduct students agree to is pretty far reaching and they usually have vague clauses pertaining to good behavior and representing the university well, etc. I'm sure they could make an argument.

2 hours ago, peanuts104 said:

No, I just get you.

He was in attendance at an event featuring animal cruelty.  He filmed it & posted the video.  He posted it under his name which is associated with UNT athletics & the University of North Texas.  This is wrong on so many levels.

54 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Just wondering ... for those who want him gone - Do you refuse to watch FOX NFL since they have Michael Vick???

Michael Vick suffered serious consequences for his cruelty to animals.  Muhammad's behavior should have consequences as well.  Whether he should be gone depends on what happened on that day and the role Muhammad played.  I hope local law enforcement will determine what was done & by whom.  They will determine whether criminal charges should be brought.  UNT also has a role to play & we'll see how SL, WB, & the President handle that.

6 hours ago, GTWT said:

Michael Vick suffered serious consequences for his cruelty to animals.  Muhammad's behavior should have consequences as well.  Whether he should be gone depends on what happened on that day and the role Muhammad played.  I hope local law enforcement will determine what was done & by whom.  They will determine whether criminal charges should be brought.  UNT also has a role to play & we'll see how SL, WB, & the President handle that.

In Texas, wild animals are exempt according to the penal code.  One thing I'm not clear on is it mentions that previously captured wild animals would count as domesticated, but it's unclear if they mean like a tiger you've been keeping in your house for a few years or a situation where the animal was recently trapped.  Another determining factor would be if this could be justified as training the dogs to hunt and if this is a common practice for training dogs to hunt, it is an exception to the application of the law if the action is occurring solely for the purpose or in support of fishing, hunting, or trapping. 

If I am correct in interpreting the law, which I may not be, they would have to adequately define what previously captured means(could be existing case law on it). It would also likely be difficult for the prosecution to prove that this wasn't a hunting training exercise for the dogs. Overall, I doubt a DA would touch the case since conviction percentage is usually one of the top considerations when deciding to hear a case.

https://codes.findlaw.com/tx/penal-code/penal-sect-42-092.html

Edited by peanuts104
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

29 minutes ago, GTWT said:

Unfortunately, I agree.. My gut says it wont be good...I'm pretty sure  SL has dismissed players from the team for doing much less

Edited by trud1966

40 minutes ago, GTWT said:

Local could be in Oklahoma or Louisiana. I believe it was mentioned this didn't take place in Texas. Best Denton PD might do is determine whether this took place in Texas or not and then feed their findings over to the proper authorities.