Khairi Muhammad's in the Doghouse

Green Crazy

5 hours ago, Censored by Laurie said:

do we know for certain that the dogs didn't fear for their lives after encountering a masked rodent?

I think all of these knee-jerk, anti-dog reactions are coming from people who have never lived in the high-stress, high consequences world our dogs live in.

And of course no one talks about the hundreds of thousands of good dogs out there that interact and protect rodents on a day-to-day basis. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DC_S4ggv93A

where's the MSMs coverage of this, huh?

I only wish we could talk more about raccoon on raccoon crime.  Where are the protests for that???!!

• Haha 2
  • Ray 2
  • Downvote 6

Thankfully this happened in January and not in August ...

I can imagine he'll receive team discipline and some amount of counseling about animal cruelty which will be good for him and help him to mature and grow-up.  The team will be reminded repeatedly by the coaching staff about the pitfalls of social media.

Edited by ForneyGreen
  • Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

Yes, sure kick a player on the team for showing a dumb cruel video.   Makes a lot of sense when a lot of real criminals are still playing college ball. 

I don't even understand hunting as a sport, but some of you are way over the top in your comments.  

Poor decision posting that video and I am sure he is now aware of it.   

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 5

32 minutes ago, GTWT said:

Why do you think sadistic behavior is okay if it's directed towards a raccoon?  Would it still be okay with you if it was a dog being torn to bits?  Or a child?

First off, no I wouldn't be okay if it was a dog or child, but it's not.  It's a raccoon. 

Second, we don't know Muhammad's role.  We only know that he was there and that he posted the video to his twitter account.  We have no details about who initiated this. It's unfair to single out one individual when there were multiple people there, let alone end someone's playing career and scholarship (meaning potentially their education) over a pest animal.

Third, it's just a raccoon. 

• Upvote 4
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 5

51 minutes ago, GTWT said:

Why do you think sadistic behavior is okay if it's directed towards a raccoon?  Would it still be okay with you if it was a dog being torn to bits?  Or a child?

My guess: as far as peanuts is concerned, this is a creature that - on the 1-to-10 Fur baby scale - is close to 1, next to the ant.

• Sad 1

25 minutes ago, greenminer said:

My guess: as far as peanuts is concerned, this is a creature that - on the 1-to-10 Fur baby scale - is close to 1, next to the ant.

I don't have a fur baby scale, just a 'I couldn't care less' scale.  I don't agree with the method of disposal, but we live in a free country.   In some ways ants are better than raccoons.  It's hard to blame ants for being what they are because of their biology and lack of intelligence.  Raccoons, though, they are little aholes and they know it.

Edited by peanuts104
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 6

There is the oft quoted phrase on the board, "athletics are the window to a university".

Yesterday, I returned home after a two week business trip in Europe. My wife meet me at the airport and shortly said, "have you heard about the incident by the North Texas football player and the raccoon?  Yes, I had and then learned this incident has made the national news.

I then recalled that he was also charged with spitting on an ODU player and dejected from the game. Every poster on this board but one defended him and said he would never do such a thing.  I was at that game and have no idea if he did or did not, but when the game was over, I tuned in the local station to see what they were saying. Wilder said the spitting incident was a rallying point for his team and that they had to find a way to win the game. As we all know, they did.

The video is vicious and sickening. I hope the young man can get some help.

Edited by letsgiveacheer
  • Upvote 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

So I'm reading through these comments and just laughing at them. Should have posted the video? No. But I'm with @peanuts104. Also, I'm waiting for one of you to stand up for Raccoon Rights and protest the issue that a Minor League baseball team has chosen the name "Trash Pandas" as their team name (https://www.milb.com/rocket-city). How dare they mock their dignity like that!

Don't "eye-roll" me either. You know its true, someone out there is just beside themselves for a pro sports team calling themselves the Trash Pandas! 

Edited by MeanGreengdub
  • Upvote 1
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 9
  • Downvote 3

1 hour ago, Quoner said:

Haha! Theres gotta be a raccoon-loving soul out there that is so upset about this name. From some of the comments, they may just be a member of this board. I'll keep checking the news for a protest. 

• Haha 1
  • Downvote 4

3 hours ago, peanuts104 said:

That's such BS that they even included organizing in the title of the article.  We don't have the details of who "organized" it.  

It appears that Muhammad posted the video & participated in the torture.  He apparently found it amusing.

• Upvote 2

40 minutes ago, Philip Ferguson said:

I call BS on this post from the Star Telegram...they are trying to tar-and-feather the entire program for the actions of one person...so unfair!

That's the thing about team sports - it just takes one bad actor to taint the entire program.  we'll see how Littrell, Baker, & Smatresk deal with the situation.  They can go a long ways towards mitigating the damage this young man did to the program & university. 

• Upvote 3

33 minutes ago, GTWT said:

It appears that Muhammad posted the video & participated in the torture.  He apparently found it amusing.

You missed my point or intentionally disregarded it.  Organizing implies it was all his idea.  It implies that he called all the people there to view it. We have no evidence of that and the Star Telegram can go pound sand for insinuating as such since there is no evidence to that.  He posted a video of something bad that he shouldn't have posted.  We don't know much beyond that.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

I am not going to say what should or should not happen to him because that is not my decision. I will say what I think will happen. I could be wrong. I honestly believe that with all the negative press that the University is receiving, I think he will eventually be dismissed from the team. I say that because UNT is trying to build something here. I think with Baker and SL on the rise like they are, that they will not let one player stop them. I believe UNT will look at what happened at Baylor and say "we don't want that." I am not equating rape with this at all. My point is that something bad happened there and the response of the University, football program, and AD was not enough for most and it caused a lot of problems there that they will deal with for a long time. I believe NS, WB, and SL will say that a G5 school trying to raise it's stock just cannot afford for this happen. Let's be honest, if they dismiss him from the team, there will be a quick report and that will calm down the people calling for his head. The people that think he should stay on the team will say it's wrong, but they will move on. They will not make a big scene about it. If he stays, the people who are upset about the video will not let it rest. They will keep going until UNT is seen in the same light as Baylor nationally. I just don't see NS, WB, and SL believing that Muhammad is so valuable to the team that they can keep him. Just my opinion. 

Big lesson learned  for the younger generation, stop posting everything you do or say to social media.

Edited by Venson
grammar
  • Upvote 4
  • Skeptical Eagle 3