Confirmed Harrell to USC

TheReal_jayD

On 1/29/2019 at 7:31 AM, Wag Tag said:

What a fantastic compliment to the direction UNT is headed!  Tie up Wren!!!

While Wren plays a role, this is mostly on Seth who arrived while Wren was still at Mizzou and has hired all of the coaches that have been poached by other programs.

Basketball you can put all on Wren’s choice of Grant McCasland.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 1
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 1

On 1/28/2019 at 9:23 AM, untjim1995 said:

I'm just laughing at the fact that USC went from getting Kliff Kingsbury as their OC to now getting Graham Harrell. That's a rather steep drop, IMO.

Or maybe, and much more likely, a lot of people might not know as much as they think they do. GH constantly gets bashed, but USC is not the only P5 that has looked at him, but then what the hell does these schools know about football.

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1

6 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Or maybe, and much more likely, a lot of people might not know as much as they think they do. GH constantly gets bashed, but USC is not the only P5 that has looked at him, but then what the hell does these schools know about football.

Exactly.  I think we may not know what we will be missing.  I think his name carries a lot of weight with kids and coaches especially in Texas, but I trust in SL and WB in making the right hire to replace him. 

• Upvote 3
  • Ray 1
  • Eye Roll 1

18 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Exactly.  I think we may not know what we will be missing.  I think his name carries a lot of weight with kids and coaches especially in Texas, but I trust in SL and WB in making the right hire to replace him. 

I personally would like to see him back as HC at some point.

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, mhuddleston88 said:

edmorris@uiwtx.edu

Email him if you like. He is apparently a great guy. Lets try to get a grassroots effort to bring him up I-35 to Denton.

Morris is not going to go from OC at Texas Tech to HC at UIW, only to return to OC at North Texas.  He's a head coach now.   Let him continue to build UIW this year, and keep an eye on him in December 2019 when we may be looking for Littrell's replacement again.

• Upvote 4

24 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

I personally would like to see him back as HC at some point.

Putting aside my skepticism about his playcalling for a moment (since that isn’t really what a HC does normally) I will give two comments. First, I hope you mean several years down the road. He still only has five total years coaching experience. Second, I think he would need to vastly improve his locker room presence. I don’t see that same “it factor” in BTG when he gives a talk like I did with SL or Tashard. I know that isn’t the only factor in being a good Head Coach but it seems like an important one. 

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, Green Crazy said:

since they say he has full control over the offense at usc, does that mean he can make some hires? if so, is anyone else concerned with him taking filani?  not that it's a huge concern for me, but i like him and it would be another hole to fill.

On the flip side, the new OC may want his/her own WR coach.  I agree with you, no biggie either way GMG

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Philip Ferguson said:

https://www.texasfootball.com/article/2019/01/28/report-north-texas-offensive-coordinator-graham-harrell-takes-same-position-at-usc?ref=article_preview_title&fbclid=IwAR3lbWwkTTvVLqHlQA5b9dgT6o4xaZGDwj_McMiZj7eoX850YZvLalcwT6o

"USC poaching an offensive coordinator from a Conference-USA school in Texas speaks volumes about how well regarded North Texas' turnaround is viewed by college football at large. Just three seasons ago, UNT was coming off a 1-11 season with no optimism in sight.

Is that a jab at, oh nevermind. 

meangreenblog.dentonrc.com_files_2014_07

• Haha 2
  • Ray 1

Overall, I think GH did a decent job for us. I think he did a great job when it came to being someone players liked. That being said, in terms of actual Xs and Os, I think he was a bit over-hyped. Some of his play calling was suspect. I'd feel a lot worse if we lost Seth and I think this, like some others mentioned, is a blessing in disguise. 

But we'll see. 

Edited by GreenGuy123
  • Upvote 2