Confirmed Harrell to USC

TheReal_jayD

Good info-  can’t blame him as USC OC is a big time gig and $$ where he will get to work with some great QB talent.  Best of luck to Coach Harrell and his family!  Much appreciate his efforts and results while here.

Pur coaches moving to greener pastures is a good thing BTW.  Hasn’t always been the case.  Now we gotta find a good replacement!  GMG!

• Harry featured this topic

Obviously the goal should be to one day be able to hang onto these coaches (however far out that may be), but if the reasons for needing to replace a coach are: 1) they were pretty good and got hired away or 2) were really terrible and had to be replaced, I'll certainly take #1. Best of luck to Coach Harrell and his family.  Thank you for your contributions.

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, Mean Green Matt said:

Obviously the goal should be to one day be able to hang onto these coaches (however far out that may be), but if the reasons for needing to replace a coach are: 1) they were pretty good and got hired away or 2) were really terrible and had to be replaced, I'll certainly take #1. Best of luck to Coach Harrell and his family.  Thank you for your contributions.

The best teams don’t hang on to their OCs. Alabama has a new one every year 

• Upvote 4

23 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

Eric Morris would be awesome if we could somehow get him away from UIW for a coordinator position. That has the potential to basically set up a head coach in waiting.

• Upvote 5

Just now, BillySee58 said:

The best teams don’t hang on to their OCs. Alabama has a new one every year 

Theirs mostly leave for head coaching positions.  Maybe my point was not clear.  I just hope we continue moving forward and keep becoming less and less susceptible to poaching for lateral positions. We have QUITE a ways to go to catch the likes of USC, but hopefully in the coming years we can catch the bottom of what is now the P5.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, FirefightnRick said:

41 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

get Moore he has done great things with the Troy OL, two for one dude.

I believe he was just named OC at West Virginia

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Caw Caw said:

Maybe he learns a few things and comes back as the next head coach of UNT. Would be happy for him to learn a few things at a program like that and comes back with some california connections and new wisdom. Congrats and GMG.

KG was USC’s head coach in waiting at $3m a year. This will not be the case for Graham! With the Texas connections and experience as a USC OC I could definitely see him as a candidate for the future HC job at UNT!  Is it important for us to hire an OC that has HC potential?

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

While his in-game ability has been questioned on the board (as is the case with every OC in the country), the work he did in building up the young man who will go down as the best QB in our school's history should always be reason for NT fans to appreciate Harrell's time in Denton.  Will be rooting for his success.

The timing of this may play into our favor as there are several reasons OC gig here should be very appealing to potential candidates:

1. QB position is settled and spectacular
  2. Littrell's arrow is pointing up and he proved with KState that he's loyal to his staff
  3. Those with HC aspirations may see opportunity to be in position to have a leg up on other replacement candidates if Littrell moves on (as @Wag Tag suggested)

I think we all recognize that Littrell has become one of the more well-connected coaches in the game (certainly at the G5 level) and I think he'll have plenty of quality options to choose from.

• Upvote 7

Congratulations to Harrell and his family, I hope he does a great job.

As for where I think we turn, Baker and Littrell like successful guys with Oklahoma and Texas ties. Here is my best guess...

Tim Albin, the OC at Ohio. He has been very successful at Ohio. Ohio had a better offense then UNT last season, putting up more yardage and points then the Mean Green. Plus the guy is a native of Oklahoma where he graduated from college and served as a head coach, so he understands the players and recruiting. Albin makes about $150,000 a year at Ohio. Harrell was making $275,000. I believe Baker can afford him.

Edited by Side Show Joe
  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1