Old Dominion (1/31/19)

Not so sure that was as bad a loss as some of you think.   Playing without Duffy and still with a Liability in Smart in a very hard place to win is not a recipe for success.   

ODU is not likely to lose to anybody there with refereeing like that.   

Yes, lack of aggressiveness  by NT caused most of the foul discrepancy but do you realize that no CUSA team all year has had less free throws than NT tonight.  ODU played very aggressive to achieve that kind of results. 

Y'all. I thoroughly apologize, and have to confess. On each of the 4 losses (OU, UTSA, UAB, ODU), I was hosting a trivia show as my side-gig DURING the game. It's happened each time they've played on a night that I host, and their wins have all come when I wasn't hosting.

This is on me. I'm 100% responsible, and I feel regret for my decisions. 

• Upvote 3
  • Ray 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

10 hours ago, Jason Howeth said:

Y'all. I thoroughly apologize, and have to confess. On each of the 4 losses (OU, UTSA, UAB, ODU), I was hosting a trivia show as my side-gig DURING the game. It's happened each time they've played on a night that I host, and their wins have all come when I wasn't hosting.

This is on me. I'm 100% responsible, and I feel regret for my decisions. 

Ok so which games on the schedule conflict with your trivia shows going forward?  Can you find a fill-in??

12 hours ago, RiseUNT said:

If Smart isn't hitting 3s he is a liability.

I see it more like this at this point.

But this isn't new in this game, he hasn't been a good player all year since he came  back from injury.

If I hadn't watched this team last year and say had just watched the last 6 games, I wouldn't even play Smart except to spell someone for a few minutes. Draper is also a liability but he is better defensively. Those two should not be playing much at all. However, with Duffy out one of them has too.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, MeanGreenHoops said:

But this isn't new in this game, he hasn't been a good player all year since he came  back from injury.

If I hadn't watched this team last year and say had just watched the last 6 games, I wouldn't even play Smart except to spell someone for a few minutes. Draper is also a liability but he is better defensively. Those two should not be playing much at all. However, with Duffy out one of them has too.

Easy fix is to run Woolridge, Gibson, Miller, Arikawe, and Simmons. 

9 minutes ago, Big Z said:

Why? Don’t like a real challenge? 

It's nice starting a bball season 18-3. That's the only silver lining. But our OOC schedule did not prepare this team as what an OOC schedule is meant for. And even with such a great start, we received minimal pub and though attendance is improving, it hasn't and with this schedule will not spike. 

Hopefully we can have a good showing tomorrow at Charlotte, and a great home crowd next Thur vs Marshall. 20-4 is still a sexy record in very realistic reach. 

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

24 minutes ago, MeanGreenHoops said:

Sad to say that I agree at this point. Not sure if something is lingering from his injury, but he just hasn’t looked right this year. As @NorthTexasWeLove said, the green light needs to be switched off. 

32 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Smart is shooting the 3 ball 29% on the year. His green light needs to be turned red. Grant has to force him to put the ball down. 

No matter how much Grant yells in his face, he still takes dumb shots. I don't understand what is going on. We need Duffy back yesterday.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Smart is shooting the 3 ball 29% on the year. His green light needs to be turned red. Grant has to force him to put the ball down. 

The problem is he is not that good on defense, ball handling, or penetration. If he does not heat up we will not get far in the tournament.

14 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

I guess that it can be looked at that way. But we are not 18-4 kind of good, not even close. Our fluffy OOC exaggerates our competitiveness. 

So you think Middle Tennessee is smarter than us? Played a tough ooc and have a shit record. 

We are .5 games back of first place. We have not had back to back losses all year. All we have to do is win 2 more games and this year is a success by the basketball community.

JJ had some easy OOC and was in the sunbelt. Our last coach was trying to have 10 win seasons.

5 minutes ago, greenminer said:

OOC scheduling: prepare you for conference play and/or fluff your record for postseasons consideration.

Prepared this team for conference is what it did. First our team talent and size is not a top 100 team. Second CUSA is maybe one step above our OOC.

• Skeptical Eagle 1