DRC: Brewer leaving UNT's program to pursue job as firefighter

Brett Vito

DRC: Wide receiver who brought national attention to UNT with punt return against Arkansas moving on to become a firefighter 

Edited by Brett Vito
  • Upvote 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1
  • Downvote 1

So much for our deep receiving corps.  Might have to rely on a few RS or true freshmen.

Also, I guess Guyton wasn't a major player here like Pearson and Brewer:  "Brewer is the second notable UNT player to leave the program since the end of the season, joining backup quarterback Cade Pearson."

• Upvote 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1

My son is a fireman/paramedic for Frisco and told me this a few weeks ago. Didn't want to rain on his parade by announcing it on this forum. Good luck to a fine young man. Thanks for an eternal memory, Keegan.

GO MEAN GREEN!

GO FRISCO FD!

• Upvote 3

14 hours ago, peanuts104 said:

He knows what he wants and he's going to go get it. 

This only applies to graduated players leaving “early” for a career that doesn’t involve playing football, correct? Or does it only apply to graduated players leaving “early” if you deem them not substantial contributors?

• Upvote 2

49 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

This only applies to graduated players leaving “early” for a career that doesn’t involve playing football, correct? Or does it only apply to graduated players leaving “early” if you deem them not substantial contributors?

Neither?  If you're referring what I said about Guyton:

1) I've already apologized for going overboard.  He did not deserve the amount of criticism I gave him.

2) I never said that I didn't want him to get on a team in the NFL or any pro football and think it would be great for both him (obviously) and the school if he did.  I just think it's a long shot for him to make an NFL roster or even get on a team's practice squad.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, ihopehe said:

I hope he becomes as good as fire fighter as he was a punt returner.  Fire fighters are important and brave members of society who are not appreciated until you need them.  You never see the rancher or butcher, but you voluntarily survive off their delicious beef product.  You never see the fire fighter until you have a fire, heart attack, or they are standing in the median voluntarily collecting money in a boot because their home cities and counties waste taxpayer money on traveling to non-essential conferences, "office supplies," and other assorted grift. 

(In other words, if a fire fighter is standing in the median collecting money, your city council is not doing its job correctly.  Fire them through the election process.  If you have untasty beef, blame the bureaucrats at the USFDA or yourself for not understanding how to properly prepare beef.)

Your exactly right that city councils waste money...in every way imaginable.  But the only reason you should ever see city FF’s collecting money in the streets with a boot is for The Muscular Dystrophy Association or some other charity,....not to raise money for departmental funds.  

Volunteer departments on the other hand in rural, non-city locations will hold fund raisers such as barbecues, fish fry’s, silent auctions or golf tournaments to raise money for operating expenses.

Rick.

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 2

On 1/23/2019 at 4:30 PM, FirefightnRick said:

Volunteer departments on the other hand in rural, non-city locations will hold fund raisers such as barbecues, fish fry’s, silent auctions or golf tournaments to raise money for operating expenses.

Rick.

So true. I'm our VFD has some old trucks. Amazed at how far out they have to go on calls. They routinely have to go to Oklahoma, or other counties for mutual aid, in addition to having to serve 918 square miles of Ochiltree County 

In regards to Brewer, good luck to him, but if its anything like the law enforcement hiring process, it can take 6 months or more to get hired, so why not continue with your education and playing until you get hired?

Edit:  seriously?  I'd love to hear the justification for an eye roll.

Edited by Rudy
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 2

1 hour ago, FirefightnRick said:

Rudy he was already certified and more than likely was fast tracked through the process,...and once he got the nod it’s time to clock in and go to work.  Just guessing.

Rick

You are correct, sir.

10 hours ago, Rudy said:

As long as its a sure thing and he's alrrady got the job lined up, then he's good. I just don't want to see him waste time. It's also extremely hard to work on your degree while you're working in public safety. 

Graduated and has the job.

On ‎1‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 10:13 PM, UNT86 said:

We will fine and so will he.

And he is already the modern day Sears Woods to me.

I was there.... and it was incredible.

I'm more worried about replacing him as a punt catcher than as an inside receiver.

Totally agree.

My assessment of him from last spring was that he was Michael Lawrence with a little more "yards-after-catch" ability.  So the best he could hope for as a football player on Sunday is to catch on with some team as a Cole Beasley type receiver. The chances of that aren't too good. His unflinching performance of a lifetime @ Arkansas, as well as his unflinching performance as a pass catcher tells me that this guy would be perfect for the firefighting profession.

He has earned his place in North Texas Football history, and nothing that he could have done, hence forward, would have likely surpass it. 

So, congratulations on joining an honorable and well regarded public service profession. 

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 2
  • Ray 1
  • Downvote 1