Tools of the trade - Old School

Eagle71

North Texas State University. My 1966 edition of "Football Coaching" by John McKay which was the textbook for my 1969 Spring Semester, PE 235-Coaching Football class with Coach Fred McCain.  My 1972 Max Boydston "All-American Playmaker" and my chalk holder, both of which were purchased when I was hired by the legendary Coach Eddie Joseph and became a member of the Wharton High School coaching staff.  A few weeks after I was hired we had our first scrimmage.  We loaded the buses and headed to Austin to get an idea of how our kids were coming along.  One thing to keep in mind is that many of our players had never been out of Wharton County.  So its easy to understand the reactions of our young men as our varsity and jr. varsity teams unloaded at Memorial Stadium and the lights came on.  They were awestruck.   Of course, I knew who we were there to scrimmage, but it was still an unbelievable moment to be introduced by Coach Joseph to Coach Darrell Royal and Coach Gordon Wood at midfield of Memorial Stadium!  Yep, we traveled from Wharton to Austin to test our teams against Brownwood.  I was asking myself "Does every first-year coach get to start this way?"  We held our own that night and had a good season.  Anyway, just remembering how great it was to be around Coach McCain and the rest of the coaching staff "back in the day." Fly Like An Eagle 

0222181304.jpg

• Thanks 1