Men's Basketball Attendance

Shark84

I was looking at the last couple of games and comparing attendance around the conference and it looks like we are not even in the top 5. WKY, OD, Marshall, Charlotte, and UTEP all are 4,000 plus for the last two home conference games. Marshall is over 7,000! Just think how many we could get to our games if we had a really good record or were tied for first in the conference...ohhhhh. Never mind. Show up Thursday and Saturday! Go Mean Green!

• Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 4

I thought there was hope for attendance, given attendance for the last couple of CBI games in Denton.  However, I was wrong.  It is the same old 'don't really care' Denton/North Texas.  These same people will be the ones raising hell when Seth and Grant and Jalie leave.

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 3

3 hours ago, emmitt01 said:

This is the part where someone replies "you can't expect people to show up just because you're 17-2 and have won 14 straight at home...this takes decades of winning to build."  

But, it does. Not decades, but you have to have running success to get buy in. Attendance has dramatically improved from 2 years ago to last season to now. And there is a reason for it, winning. 

And our SOS is taken into consideration even by fence sitting alum. Our OOC schedule has to be ranked in the 300's. It was a bit of a joke and when people raise their eyebrows to 17-2, it's the first thing they dive into. Then, they say, "Oh, I see." 

Our conference affiliation and the banging job CUSA is doing doesn't help, football or bball. 0 main stream television games = 0 exposure = 0 buy in. Gotta huddle around an iPad in hopes of ESPN+ running our game in a pay for streaming service. That'll be brand building, said no one ever. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 7

15 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

But, it does. Not decades, but you have to have running success to get buy in. Attendance has dramatically improved from 2 years ago to last season to now. And there is a reason for it, winning. 

And our SOS is taken into consideration even by fence sitting alum. Our OOC schedule has to be ranked in the 300's. It was a bit of a joke and when people raise their eyebrows to 17-2, it's the first thing they dive into. Then, they say, "Oh, I see." 

Our conference affiliation and the banging job CUSA is doing doesn't help, football or bball. 0 main stream television games = 0 exposure = 0 buy in. Gotta huddle around an iPad in hopes of ESPN+ running our game in a pay for streaming service. That'll be brand building, said no one ever. 

I agree.  We had momentum during JJ and it was shot to holy hell with what preceded.  I wish people would wake up sooner because we have something special, but that just isn't the case with us.  Just keep winning. The culture will grow.  

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

We gained about 600 fans per game year over year in Grants first year. If we can keep averaging what we did over the last few home games for the rest of this year we will basically do the same thing (500-600). Im certainly disappointed things aren’t improving more quickly but things are improving. So it could definitely be worse. 

• Upvote 1

On 1/22/2019 at 9:49 PM, southsideguy said:

we should be selling the pit out but locals just dont support UNT sports.

There hasn’t been a reason to support UNT athletics for decades up until this latest run of winning. The mob is fickle, people want to be associated with a winner, that’s just how it goes. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, southsideguy said:

Laying the big egg against UAB didnt help.

A 3 point loss is laying a big egg?

The real truth (and I grew up in Denton) is that people there attach themselves to whatever is trendy.  You get 5 kids in a classroom wearing North Texas gear and talking about how they got VIP treatment at a game...you’ll have 15 classmates sporting green and attending games by the next week.  It is an entire town of front runners.

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 3

Scoring less than 50 points is laying an egg. If you were at the game you have to know it was the worst game we have played all year.  It was an ugly game and I heard some comments about not coming to a game in a long time and now I know why.   I told them the team was better but I didn't see them on Saturday.  The little dribblers bring in a lot of parents and grandparents.  If you went to games in the Benford era you would realize how many parents come to the event.  I sure the jump rope group is scheduled soon.  Losing to LATECH in football when we were on a good run an egg.  

To sell out the Pit or Apogee when need to get the locals to come to the games.  I knew many UNM season tickets holders who never attended UNM.  UTEP has the same thing with the locals.  What they have in common there is not much to compete within those cities.  We have a good team but getting the locals to come to the games is difficult.  As I recall there was comment earlier "why should we".  That is what we are up against.  UNT employees a lot of people in Denton.  Maybe we should run a shuttle from TWU to games.  I don't how many would attend but we need more people at our games. 

I try to talk people into coming to our games.  Sometimes I can't find anyone to go with me.  There is no place I will rather be then at Apogee or the Pit on game day.

Edited by southsideguy
  • Upvote 1

Do whatever it takes to get the locals in the pit. Give stupid cheap tickets to those who live in Denton County. Give them premium seating. Give free tickets to the elementary school students in DISD. Make super cheap jerseys and give them out to kids. Do ANYTHING. I’m sick of the piss poor job our athletic department does at marketing to the Denton community. There’s 130 THOUSAND people that live in Denton. The fact that we can’t get at least 5,000 people is a disgrace. Yeah, with those deals we won’t be making as much money per person, but selling out the superpit with $5 tickets still makes more money that 2,000 people paying $20 a ticket. Do the math. THAT’S how you build excitement and capitalize off the recent success of our team. The same can apply to football. Give the Dentonites a reason to come because we all know damn well they won’t do it on their own.

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

The media is killing our athletics department and departments just like ours all around the country. There is no end all outside of going to watch a game and having a good time. But like Emmitt said, Denton (And basically all of DFW) is filled with a bunch of front runners. We have no 'end all' in sight. Our absolute BEST seasons to date consist of getting to the 20 win mark vs a bunch of perceived nobodies, beating some Louisiana or Tennessee wanna be team in a run down conference to make the NCAA tourney, be a 15th seed and get pushed around on TV in the first round to end the season. 10 years later, our end all has not budged. Those same outcomes is the best case scenario now as it was then. We are getting monopolized completely out of the picture and smiling while it happens. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

The Haves and the have nots gap has grown wider.  Maybe a few have nots will find their way to a P-5 conference but the majority of the teams it won't happen.  I think we will see in the future teams dropping some programs. The next conference alignments will have to be more regional to help cut costs.  I hate what the P-5 and NCAA have done to college football.  Now with the new transfer rules the conferences below the p-5 will become the farm system for the P-5.