Future Schedule. Baylor & Tulane

TheColonyEagle

This is great news and things at Athletics are going great in many areas. Not sure however why we can't let RV stay out of these conversations. He did many good things over his time at UNT and some that some disagreed with. That being said there is no need to continue to bash someone over disagreements we had in the past.  RV moved on but is still active and supporting and a real fan of UNT.  Move on Guys!!!!!

• Upvote 7
  • Haha 1
  • Ray 1
  • Eye Roll 4
  • Downvote 7

24 minutes ago, Moobs said:

While he may have done a few good things during his tenure, the mind wonders how much more someone else like WB could have done and accomplished during that time.  

RV was here 16 years.  In that time period TCU and Utah went from the WAC to P5 conferences.  

I think a lot of the frustration from his tenure comes from the fact that most fans realize that the era of teams moving from the non power conferences to power conferences is over.  If we're honest, I'm not sure senior leadership at the time would have supported an AD's plan to get us into the P5.   Several schools (like SMU and UH) have spent a ton of money to make the leap, had leadership support, and didn't make it anyway.  

However, RV was the AD at the time and the fact of the matter is some schools made the non power to power conference leap, and we were not one of them.   Some fans will always hold that against him.

The consultants report didn't help his image out at all either.  

47 minutes ago, 9299 said:

This is great news and things at Athletics are going great in many areas. Not sure however why we can't let RV stay out of these conversations. He did many good things over his time at UNT and some that some disagreed with. That being said there is no need to continue to bash someone over disagreements we had in the past.  RV moved on but is still active and supporting and a real fan of UNT.  Move on Guys!!!!!

1 minute ago, Cerebus said:

RV was here 16 years.  In that time period TCU and Utah went from the WAC to P5 conferences.  

I think a lot of the frustration from his tenure comes from the fact that most fans realize that the era of teams moving from the non power conferences to power conferences is over.  If we're honest, I'm not sure senior leadership at the time would have supported an AD's plan to get us into the P5.   Several schools (like SMU and UH) have spent a ton of money to make the leap, had leadership support, and didn't make it anyway.  

However, RV was the AD at the time and the fact of the matter is some schools made the non power to power conference leap, and we were not one of them.   Some fans will always hold that against him.

How anyone can read that consultants report and still stick up for RV is beyond me. It seems like the athletics department under RV had a "F it, it's good enough" mentality towards everything.

• Upvote 5
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 2

21 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Did I read 2029? Lololololol 

I mean I love the scheduling. And scheduling in the future is great, but this is difficult to get excited about. 

Think how excited  you would be today if 10 years ago we had an AD that was getting these games on the schedule.  

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1

4 hours ago, Cerebus said:

Or the losing hires he made over and over that led to UNT being a big pile of suck. Or the country club manner in which he "led" the department to the point of running people off and not really giving a fuuu. The donors he brainwashed and was stuck in content of not driving the envelope for more. And even had he wanted to he couldn't, because of the aforementioned suck. 

I will thank him for his part in getting Apogee, whatever part he had in that. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2

23 hours ago, meangreenlax said:

How anyone can read that consultants report and still stick up for RV is beyond me. It seems like the athletics department under RV had a "F it, it's good enough" mentality towards everything.

That RV swindled 17 donors who had obviously built up cash from being smart at something professionally will always be the thing that amazes me the most about his timeframe here. In those last 5 years of RV, his hires led to the worst coaches ever hired here in football and basketball. What he did by hiring Tony Benford was just criminal to what Johnny Jones had built up here. Even if Benford had been a success, he was just adding us to his resume to be coaching at Texas Tech, which was his alma mater. That was a no-win hire, in my opinion, which is perfect to sum that hire up--since we rarely won ever.

RV got credit for opening up tailgating here...I mean what a visionary!! Who would have ever guessed that football fans in Texas might actually like to tailgate before football game?? That was the sad reality of just how little interest the UNT administration gave to the athletic department before RV got hired. All RV had to do to keep these people happy and keep his job was to simply stay in budget. Once that got tougher to do, especially as the losing piled up after 2005, he realized that he had to cultivate other revenue streams to stay in budget, so he found a few big donors to lean on...and on...and on...and on. That he got away with it for so long is impressive in many ways, but it just goes to show how different things have been under Smatresk's leadership as the President. We have seen the best AD we have probably ever had. And our three revenue programs have amongst the best coaches we have ever had for each sport. Amazing what a little vision and care from the BOR and administration can do for an athletic department. The unfortunate part is that if we had done anything like this in the previous 3 decades, our lot in life is much better than it is today. And it probably is what keeps us from ever being in a better conference setup.  

• Upvote 3
  • Ray 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 4

You can blame RV all you want, but he didn't hire himself and keep renewing his own contract.   There are few people that are not up to the job, that resign.  

RV  however. was apparently good fooling his bosses into thinking he was the man for the job.   If I recall correctly, he worked for five different presidents at NT.

RV also got a lot of fan support until the end of his tenure.   A few of us questioned his leadership early and got put down by the majority of the posters.    It was only until it was impossible to ignore his poor performance, that he lost most of his support. 

Scheduling is something that I think RV gets too much blame.   He stated several times he could get one and one with P5s.  The problem was that NT needed those guaranteed away games to finance the program.   Likewise the hiring of coaches was much more limited by salary concerns. 

The big change that Baker and the Administration have engineered is that the budget has been expanded.    This was accomplished with additional student fees and the overall willingness to prop up athletics with so-called university funds.   

• Ray 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

On ‎1‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 10:41 AM, Moobs said:

Because it's fun, your should try it.  And he sucked in so many ways. 

Now that I got my sarcasm out of the way, here's a more serious response.  While he may have done a few good things during his tenure, the mind wonders how much more someone else like WB could have done and accomplished during that time.  The longer that WB is here and the more WB does, the more I wonder how far we would be if we never hired him.  In his 15 years here, I'm guessing someone like WB would have been able to accomplish what RV did in about 5-7 years.  So by my own estimation, that puts our athletic programs behind by about 8-10 years.

I'm glad to have him as a fan and supporter.  But he shouldn't have been the AD for nearly as long as he was.  I have moved on to supporting WB and company.  However, I like to take opportunities like this to reminisce and show my appreciation that RV is gone.

We are behind 10 years.  And it started in 1981(?) when North Texas dropped down from 1A to 1AA.  And one could say even before that when we left the MVC, with Fry pinning our hopes on joining the SWC.  And after Fry had we accomplished the bare minimum by expanding Fouts to 30K(required to stay 1A as I recall) it is very possible that UNT would be much farther along regarding athletics.  The 10 year departure is what left us behind.  Whoever was running our University at the time is the culprit.  No vision.  And that includes the Board of Trustees.  At the very minimum UNT should be in the AAC.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Cooke County Kid said:

Leaving the MVC and dropping to 1-AA were the two biggest mistakes ever made by the University.  Look at how many of our former conference mates are in the AAC.  

WIN GAMES!!!

Leaving the MVC was a good decision at the time.  Louisville, Memphis and most of the better football teams had already or were planning to exist.   The problem was that Fry wanted in the SWC and apparently there was no back up plan.   

NT in hind sight should have banded with the others that left and joined the Metro conference.   Letting NT drop out of Div. 1 was a separate decision that NT is still trying to crawl away from.   

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Downvote 1

I just don’t hold as high of an opinion of the aac as some do. I think it’s an okay conference but dangerously close to a lateral move to me. It’s up but not the big Step I want for UNT.

GMG

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, NM Green said:

I just don’t hold as high of an opinion of the aac as some do. I think it’s an okay conference but dangerously close to a lateral move to me. It’s up but not the big Step I want for UNT.

GMG

Those NCAA tourney credits tho.  

20 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

RV also got a lot of fan support until the end of his tenure.  

(X) Doubt

I think he caught quite a bit of fan flak from the Dodge fiasco, it calmed down with the 2013 bowl game, but exploded into flames shortly after.  He did have support from the big guys for a lot longer than he had from the little guys.