COLUMN: Jalen Guyton should wait a year

Skipper

I think Trevon McWilliams is going to need to put in an extra year or two of classes in the journalism school even after he graduates. He isn’t ready for ESPN or SI just yet. He needs to prove he can be the best writer at the NT Daily BEFORE he goes out and gets a job, regardless of if he graduates first or not. It’ll take awhile to become the Peter King of  the NT Daily so I hope you don’t have much desire to get out and start making money until you can prove that you can be an elite journalist. Enjoy your 12 year NT Daily writing career.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4
  • Ray 1
  • Confused 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 4

2 hours ago, greenjoe said:

Since I know nothing about pro football, I'm probably wrong.  But, unless he has signed with an agent, I understand he can still come back.  He tests the draft and free agent market, and if not to his liking, go back for more "cooking time."

I wish him well.

The deadline was January 14th so he’s locked in and can’t come back. Hopefully he can catch on with someone, though I’d say at best he was the third best receiver at UNT so not super likely. I’m guessing with all the young talented guys coming up he figured his stock probably wouldn’t increase more and since he already has his degree might as well try now with his high school pedigree and his CUSA newcomer of the year more recent.

2 hours ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

Maybe third best hands, maybe not even that.  But he was the one receiver defenses always had to account for, opening a lot of opportunities for other targets.

Once he got behind the defense he was usually gone.  He's got some really good physical traits but he has got to work on those hands if he wants a chance in the pros.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, peanuts104 said:

Once he got behind the defense he was usually gone.  He's got some really good physical traits but he has got to work on those hands if he wants a chance in the pros.

I don’t know about that. Look at Terrell Owens. He had hands of brick, but stayed healthy and caugh a ton of passes over a million years in the NFL. Big and tenacious has a place in the NFL

4 hours ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

I don’t know about that. Look at Terrell Owens. He had hands of brick, but stayed healthy and caugh a ton of passes over a million years in the NFL. Big and tenacious has a place in the NFL

I could be remembering wrong, but I think TO's problems catching the ball crept into his performance after already establishing himself.

EDIT: regardless, let's be realistic: I don't think JG is the monster athlete TO was.

Edited by greenminer