Why UConn should leave FBS

54 minutes ago, Salsa_Verde said:

If North Texas has any chance to move up to the AAC, I believe someone needs to go. UConn football is a yearly disaster. 

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2019/1/18/18187320/uconn-football-aac-fcs

So long as SMU is in AAC we won’t be allowed in.  UConn stinks in FB but their basketball is strong.

Traditionaly yes but UConn’s men’s team is a shell of its former self. It’s womens basketball is still going strong. I agree SMU won’t let North Texas in but they can only live off of their “prestige” for so long. 

• Upvote 1

UConn is in a really interesting situation. The American does nothing to help their football team, and actually takes away from their ability to sustain a level of basketball success they expect to have. Also, nobody really cares about college football in the northeast. Dropping to FCS makes a lot of sense for them. The CAA is a really good football conference.

• Upvote 2

I’m just saying eventually North Texas is just going to be too big to ignore. We’ve been jerking around for too long, TCU is TCU, whatever. SMU is punching way above it’s weight right now. Remove UConn from the AAC and then move Navy over to the east position and North Texas replaces Navy in the West. That’ll light a fire under SMUs arse and they’ll go back to cheating and get kicked out of FBS entirely 🤠😅

win...win

GMG 

• Upvote 3

16 hours ago, Salsa_Verde said:

Traditionaly yes but UConn’s men’s team is a shell of its former self. It’s womens basketball is still going strong. I agree SMU won’t let North Texas in but they can only live off of their “prestige” for so long. 

They're five years from their last National Title.  I wouldn't be talking about them like they're UNLV or something.

• Upvote 3

21 hours ago, Harry said:

So long as SMU is in AAC we won’t be allowed in.  UConn stinks in FB but their basketball is strong.

What influence does a small school like SMU really carry? They're not as good as they were a few years ago in basketball and have had only a couple years of winning football plus everyone knows they inflate their attendance numbets.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, UNTFan23 said:

What influence does a small school like SMU really carry? They're not as good as they were a few years ago in basketball and have had only a couple years of winning football plus everyone knows they inflate their attendance numbets.

I agree. I think it the opportunity were to present itself, that it would be an interesting display of AAC internal politics. Does SMU have that much clout inside the conference? I don't think it will be as simple as "oh SMU doesn't want us, so we have no chance."

The only complicating factor would be needing unanimous approval from all member schools to enter the conference. Not sure what AACs bylaws look like.

• Upvote 3

17 hours ago, greenminer said:

Are you referring to the AAC's interest in the DFW market?

AAC is moving their headquarters to Dallas. They have serious interest in the area. If they want to invest in DFW, they're going to need more than piddly little SMU and their 10,000 alumni. North Texas to the AAC could be mutually beneficial to both our institutions, regardless of what the dipshits on PonyFans think. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, meangreenlax said:

AAC is moving their headquarters to Dallas. They have serious interest in the area. If they want to invest in DFW, they're going to need more than piddly little SMU and their 10,000 alumni. North Texas to the AAC could be mutually beneficial to both our institutions, regardless of what the dipshits on PonyFans think. 

Not to disagree - I think UNT should replace them and makes more sense - but it’s remarkable how that piddly 10,000 base owns so much of our DFW media.

2 minutes ago, greenminer said:

Not to disagree - I think UNT should replace them and makes more sense - but it’s remarkable how that piddly 10,000 base owns so much of our DFW media.

Oh absolutely. You have to give SMU credit. They're able to leverage their planter class alumni to position themselves favorably. Money always makes things better.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, CMJ said:

They're five years from their last National Title.  I wouldn't be talking about them like they're UNLV or something.

Fair enough but the fact remains they have not been a good program since. Which when you’re a college basketball blue blood...it is weird. 

2 hours ago, greenminer said:

As the fan base gets more and more removed from the cheating of the late 70’s and 80’s this influence will wain more and more I think.