The Rams made my point

SilverEagle

Anyone watching the Cowboys-Rams game saw a great example of what I was talking about last year when I advocated that we get a power back to compliment our fast/quick backs. Easly pretty much filled that need, but yet another knee injury (I believe his latest is his third) took him out and deprived us of an important aspect of our offense. The Rams threw C.J. Anderson at the Cowboys as a change of pace from Gurley and MAN was he effective. 

So what do we do this year? Hope that Easly will rehab for yet a third time? That's one option, but will he be as effective as he was last year? Do we hope that one of our freshmen RB's fill the role of power runner? 

In pondering this problem I remembered that my old HS (Decatur) found itself in a similar position going into the 1967 season. The star running backs (Lynn and Glynn Hachtel) had been injured the previous year. The running back (Lynn) was able to rehab and come back in his former position, but his twin brother Glynn (the FB) was not able to do the same. So Decatur found itself without a fullback. So former coach Bill Davis (later of L.D. Bell) and his able assistant Neal Wilson,  held tryouts and thought they had a solution with their all-state guard Rusty Moore. Rusty was a load, but he wasn't too quick off the line, so that limited his effectiveness. This led to a surprising development. The all-district TE Robert Brown had a go at it...….and they had a winner!  Robert had always been as dependable a receiver as Rico Bussy, and like Rico, he was Mr. "yards-after-catch". As a FB, Robert Brown became Decatur's version of (for all you old time Cowboy fans) Don Perkins. Quick off the line, feet constantly moving, and always good for at least 3 yards per carry.  BTW, the other twin, Glynn Hachtel, eventually switched to QB and made second team all district at that position. He was also an all district LB. 

SO, do we have any TE's on our team that have been Mr. "yards-after-catch"? I believe Mr. Kelvin Smith fits that role. I don't know how quick he is off the line. But if he is quick enough, I know that at 6'2" X 250 lbs he would be quite a load for someone to bring down. Plus, at RB, he would always be a target for passes. 

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 6
  • Downvote 1

20 hours ago, MGNation92 said:

What about that kid that transferred from UCONN that sat out last year?

Nate Hopkins I believe

https://247sports.com/Article/North-Texas-adds-former-UConn-running-back-Nate-Hopkins-121230970/

When the spring roster comes out, we'll see if he is still with us.  So far, what I read about him makes him perfect for the role of giving the North Texas offense a power back change-of-pace. And if Mr. Easly fully recovers, and our O-line gets better, then...…….🙂

• Thanks 1

On 1/18/2019 at 11:44 AM, Aldo said:

The Rams run block scheme is really good. 

Especially when they knew where twists were coming from based on alignment and what hand was down.  There was an article floating around talking about it with one of their OL. 

• Upvote 1

The Saints made my point.

1st and 10 from the 25 with 1:55 to go, and instead of running the ball they Chunk & Duck it for two incompletions, including the horrific no call, and they kick the three leaving the Rams 20 seconds to tie it up,...sending it into OT. 

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Eye Roll 4

33 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

1st and 10 from the 25 with 1:55 to go, and instead of running the ball they Chunk & Duck it for two incompletions, including the horrific no call, and they kick the three leaving the Rams 20 seconds to tie it up,...sending it into OT. 

Rick

What point?

Those were bad calls by Payton given the game situation. Should have been a run. Kill the clock. Eat the Rams' 2 timeouts. Saints have had a bad run game all season, but dang just run it in that scenario.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

Rick

.....so did the Patriots.

Rick

• Eye Roll 1

7 hours ago, Aldo said:

What point?

Those were bad calls by Payton given the game situation. Should have been a run. Kill the clock. Eat the Rams' 2 timeouts. Saints have had a bad run game all season, but dang just run it in that scenario.

That’s my point.  Run the ball.  It reminded me of the Falcons in the SB vs the Patriots.

Rick