Rice (1/19/19)

CMJ

1 hour ago, greenminer said:

Our win was Rice's second consecutive heart breaker.  I'm not supporting his behavior, but I understand any frustration.

Watch the end of their UTEP loss in El Paso.  Wild.

I haven’t taken a stopwatch and timed it myself, but there’s no way that play took less than .5 seconds. 

Edit: that’s so short a period of time a stopwatch probably doesn’t even help. 

Edited by Mean Green Matt

1 hour ago, Mean Green Matt said:

I haven’t taken a stopwatch and timed it myself, but there’s no way that play took less than .5 seconds. 

Edit: that’s so short a period of time a stopwatch probably doesn’t even help. 

Does the clock start when the pass leaves the inbounders hand, or when the receiver catches/touches it?

25 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

when he touched on the court.  You will see Ryan let the ball bounce down for the floor and follow to half court before he picks it up to save time.

Right. But he didn’t just catch and shoot. He grabs it with his left hand. Brings it together with his right hand. Does a jump stop. Then turns around and shoots it. 

On 1/20/2019 at 6:02 PM, UNTFan23 said:

The number I've heard has always been around 7,500, not half of the current capacity of the Super Pit.

Also, did you know the NT Dancers/Cheerleaders don't have their own locker room? I didn't either - it's the women's restroom which is actually an old locker room.

Also, because the Rice coach lost his s##t at the end of the game, the police had the hallway closed because you have to walk past the Visitor locker room to get the men's restroom, which is also an old locker room.

Are we concerned about locker rooms in the base/pedestal of the arena or lux suites?  Seems like the arguement is shifting to a more palatable reason for a new arena.

As an armchair architect, like most of us probably are, the base of the arena which holds the guts that we're concerned about could probably be expanded if that's the real issue.  The arena sits on top of the box. The exterior walls of the base of the area could possibly be pushed all the way out to the western and northern most streets.  Doing that along with blowing out and reconfiguring interior walls (HGTV style) could probably yield a more desirable config without spending a few 100 million on a new arena.

• Lovely Take 1

4 hours ago, Pavlovs Eagle said:

Are we concerned about locker rooms in the base/pedestal of the arena or lux suites?  Seems like the arguement is shifting to a more palatable reason for a new arena.

As an armchair architect, like most of us probably are, the base of the arena which holds the guts that we're concerned about could probably be expanded if that's the real issue.  The arena sits on top of the box. The exterior walls of the base of the area could possibly be pushed all the way out to the western and northern most streets.  Doing that along with blowing out and reconfiguring interior walls (HGTV style) could probably yield a more desirable config without spending a few 100 million on a new arena.

Again, while Athletics might want to do all these wild and crazy things to try to extend the life of the Super Pit, they don't get the final say. If Athletics had its way, we'd likely be fundraising for suites and a something of a club level or would have already made that enhancement.

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, Pavlovs Eagle said:

First, I doubt that a new arena would cost more than $200M, probably not even over $150M.

Second, what you describe is likely fairly costly, possibly as much as building a new arena. The concrete mammoth that is the Super Pit would likely require a lot of additional support during excavation and build in the surrounding areas to avoid structural damage. It isn't just a matter of digging and putting in some new concrete, it was designed to use the earth around it as part of the support. It would be a long process to ensure that there is not damage to the structure. Also, blowing out some walls is likely another costly item. A building of that size requires support to bear the load of the building. I would imagine that most of the walls under the Pit are load bearing, so just bashing a hole in the wall may not be a great idea. 

• Upvote 1