Rice (1/19/19)

CMJ

3 hours ago, meangreenlax said:

Mike Miller: cooler than the other side of the pillow.

image.png.b3a3dda0286b4605255f240bf66a6e88.png

Everyone standing. Love looking at individual reactions and anticipations in that shot. One guy has his hands on his head, another in the throes of raising his hands in victory, everyone intently focused. Appropriately funding athletics is right.

GMG

25 minutes ago, DeepGreen said:

Disappointed in the turnout for the Rice game.

The atmosphere is back. That will lead to more people. We aren’t going to overnight start filling the super pit. When we are deciding what size arena to build it needs to be after seeing what crowds look like after a couple more years of this. 

Things basically started over last year after 5 years of terrible. We are already almost back to what took JJ 10 years to build. I think this is headed in a direction we will all be thrilled with.

Edit: I think even though buried under the Benford era, the foundation of what JJ built is still there and in some ways being built off of today. 

Edited by Mean Green Matt
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Mean Green Matt said:

We aren’t going to overnight start filling the super pit. When we are deciding what size arena to build it needs to be after seeing what crowds look like after a couple more years of this.

I've watched the conversation from the sidelines and am really late to the game with an opinion, but building a new arena with half the current 10k seats just to get 5-10 lux suites feels really wrong after being at The Pit last night.  

The energy was good and it felt fairly filled in around the 100 level seats.  I dont think the correct solution is to essentially get rid of the 200 level.

For an aging facility, other than the seats that are tight between the armrests, but not at the seat cushion level (very weird, I'm not a big guy by any means and I had to plan my standing... But when sitting it wasn't tight), The Pit felt in good condition.

• Upvote 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 1

I have to give the guys credit i did not see the let down in passing in the game against Rice.  No lazy passes.  32 in the picture was/is a clown.  After he hit a three pointer and got all cocky i was hoping someone would make him pay.   It was fitting he gave up the winnning basket and went crazy at the end of the game. I think he should hope that those officals dont call another Rice game.  He was shouting at  them at the end of the game and I am sure they will remember him.

Edited by southsideguy

5 hours ago, 97and03 said:

Two quick points: 1) In the case of basketball the rankings do matter quite a bit - specifically the NET rankings.  I believe they do have a provision that includes victories over 10 points. So these close games against presumably inferior are a disadvantage for us when seeding or a potential at-large bid are at stake.  (Not a BBALL expert at all obviously, so anyone with better info please correct me.)

2) I said something similar during the football season and was lambasted a bit for it.  I think I said "very good, but not great" but with the potential to be great. I would argue that the football team never fully realized that greatness. The ODU game was proof of that. One could easily argue the basketball team is pretty much at that same point. 

I understand what you are saying about rankings and seeding matter, but my point is that if you come in as the number 1 seed or number 15 doesn't matter as long as you beat who you are playing that game. If you are number 15 and beat everyone in front of you in the tournament, you can be the NCAA champion. Even if you beat said teams by 1 point each. Football is different because we could beat everyone on our schedule and still will not play for the National Championship because we are not in a P5 conference.

• Confused 1

I still want to see what happens to attendance after a couple NCAA bids, especially if one amounts to a S16 appearance, before we assume we know anything about our attendance potential.

I know JJ took us to the Big Dance before, I just think with our current culture/administration we are in a much better position to see attendance hikes.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Pavlovs Eagle said:

I've watched the conversation from the sidelines and am really late to the game with an opinion, but building a new arena with half the current 10k seats just to get 5-10 lux suites feels really wrong after being at The Pit last night.  

The energy was good and it felt fairly filled in around the 100 level seats.  I dont think the correct solution is to essentially get rid of the 200 level.

For an aging facility, other than the seats that are tight between the armrests, but not at the seat cushion level (very weird, I'm not a big guy by any means and I had to plan my standing... But when sitting it wasn't tight), The Pit felt in good condition.

The number I've heard has always been around 7,500, not half of the current capacity of the Super Pit.

Also, did you know the NT Dancers/Cheerleaders don't have their own locker room? I didn't either - it's the women's restroom which is actually an old locker room.

Also, because the Rice coach lost his s##t at the end of the game, the police had the hallway closed because you have to walk past the Visitor locker room to get the men's restroom, which is also an old locker room.

Edited by UNTFan23
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

6 hours ago, meangreenlax said:

What you're referring to is the scoring margin component of NET, which is capped at 10 points. So blowouts don't count for extra.

Thanks for clarifying.  So a ten point win is better than a one point win and scoring efficiency matters as well. Good to know.

6 hours ago, 97and03 said:

2) I said something similar during the football season and was lambasted a bit for it.  I think I said "very good, but not great" but with the potential to be great. I would argue that the football team never fully realized that greatness. The ODU game was proof of that. One could easily argue the basketball team is pretty much at that same point. 

It isn’t really a bold prediction. Odds are, you will always be right by saying as much. It’s a safe pick with North Texas (when we say it during  midsession with a good record). 

4 minutes ago, Travis said:

It isn’t really a bold prediction. Odds are, you will always be right by saying as much. It’s a safe pick with North Texas (when we say it during  midsession with a good record). 

I didn’t say it to be right or to be negative. It was based on their play.  I haven’t seen enough of the basketball team to make a definitive assessment but just judging off the results we seem to be underperforming. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, greenminer said:

I still want to see what happens to attendance after a couple NCAA bigs, especially if one amounts to a S16 appearance, before we assume we know anything about our attendance potential.

I know JJ took us to the Big Dance before, I just think with our current culture/administration we are in a much better position to see attendance hikes.

In the past, whatever attendance North Texas could muster at the Super Pit was achieved despite the administration. I’m with you, in that now, success is magnified because those in charge are competent and will take advantage. 

37 minutes ago, 97and03 said:

I didn’t say it to be right or to be negative. It was based on their play.  I haven’t seen enough of the basketball team to make a definitive assessment but just judging off the results we seem to be underperforming. 

I didn’t mean this as a slight on you. I am just saying no one should really shoot you down... chances are, that kind of statement will be right many times over for us. 

1 hour ago, Travis said:

I didn’t mean this as a slight on you. I am just saying no one should really shoot you down... chances are, that kind of statement will be right many times over for us. 

Ah ok understood. And I get that, but wasn’t trying to go there. 

2 hours ago, UNTFan23 said:

The number I've heard has always been around 7,500, not half of the current capacity of the Super Pit.

Also, did you know the NT Dancers/Cheerleaders don't have their own locker room? I didn't either - it's the women's restroom which is actually an old locker room.

Also, because the Rice coach lost his s##t at the end of the game, the police had the hallway closed because you have to walk past the Visitor locker room to get the men's restroom, which is also an old locker room.

The NT Athletics master plan says 6-7k for capacity. Whether that is the right number or not I think is TBD. It could be. 

For what it’s worth there is absolutely enough space down there to fix the locker room issues. Those bathrooms could also be renovated to match upstairs. All of that would be WAY cheaper than building an entire new arena.

There may be some mechanical and/or structure issues that make the Super Pit as a long term home a problem, but in general, my opinion is that a new arena should be a very low priority. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, Mean Green Matt said:

The NT Athletics master plan says 6-7k for capacity. Whether that is the right number or not I think is TBD. It could be. 

For what it’s worth there is absolutely enough space down there to fix the locker room issues. Those bathrooms could also be renovated to match upstairs. All of that would be WAY cheaper than building an entire new arena.

There may be some mechanical and/or structure issues that make the Super Pit as a long term home a problem, but in general, my opinion is that a new arena should be a very low priority. 

I don't know what other exact uses the Super Pit might be used for so it would be tough to say whether completely removing the old locker rooms is possible. It still wouldn't fix the problem experienced Saturday night where you have to walk past the visitor locker room where the walkway was closed off by the police. It might eliminate using the Super Pit as a hosting site for other sporting events as I doubt the Athletic department would sign off on letting someone use the Men's/Women's basketball locker rooms.

While there is technically "space" within the Super Pit, it would mean taking space away from an academic department in the form of lost classrooms. I think I saw Sport Management has classrooms and maybe even an office or two on past where the Mean Green Room is located.

1 hour ago, UNTFan23 said:

I don't know what other exact uses the Super Pit might be used for so it would be tough to say whether completely removing the old locker rooms is possible. It still wouldn't fix the problem experienced Saturday night where you have to walk past the visitor locker room where the walkway was closed off by the police. It might eliminate using the Super Pit as a hosting site for other sporting events as I doubt the Athletic department would sign off on letting someone use the Men's/Women's basketball locker rooms.

While there is technically "space" within the Super Pit, it would mean taking space away from an academic department in the form of lost classrooms. I think I saw Sport Management has classrooms and maybe even an office or two on past where the Mean Green Room is located.

For me, none of that seems like obstacles that can’t be overcome relatively easily if there’s a desire to stay in the Super Pit. I think there should be. Others don’t. And that’s totally fine. 

• Upvote 1