The Other Top 25

This mid-major crap used to be just about football.  Now it has found its way to basketball too.  Either we are a D1 playing program or we are not.  If we self-relegate to an inferior position then we have no one to blame but ourselves.   

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 1

53 minutes ago, keith said:

This mid-major crap used to be just about football.  Now it has found its way to basketball too.  Either we are a D1 playing program or we are not.  If we self-relegate to an inferior position then we have no one to blame but ourselves.   

I can somewhat understand the football situation because it takes so many excellent athletes and so much money to field a nationally-competitive team...advantage "big boys". But in basketball, the field is more level, IMO. The number of excellent athletes you need is reduced to, realistically, single digits. The equipment and resources needed to support such a team is greatly reduced. A good coach, a good recruiter...voila! You can be competitive, whether you are Duke, North Texas, or BF Egypt. You just have to prove it on the court.  I've always felt that way, but maybe that's my Hoosier upbringing showing through.

Now...can we just regain our shooting touch, stomp the hell out of Rice today, and start our roll toward the Big Dance??

1 hour ago, keith said:

Actually, the first time I ever heard the term "mid major" was for basketball about 25 years ago.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, keith said:

"mid-major" started in basketball, IIRC

I think the creation of the BCS really fueled the divide, and the terminology has just bled over.

I think it did originate in basketball, but seemed to really enter the college sports world conscious in football....at least that's my recollection.  Regardless, it's always bothered me for some reason.  If it was me I would sue any publication that includes UNT in its "mid-major" reporting for defamation.  If we don't defend ourselves or our brand, no one else will.

Edited by keith
  • Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

The term may have entered the hardcore football fan's consciousness in football, but it was WELL USED in basketball for plenty of time before the football folks began to use it.  

In a way, it makes more sense in basketball given there are like 350 schools that play D1.

Edited by CMJ