Potential New DB Coach Kerry Cooks

TheReal_jayD

I can confirm that Kerry met with Seth and co at the convention this past week. It looks like things are heating up and pointing towards him being the next DB coach. It would be a nice addition to the defensive coaching staff and he is a heck of a recruiter. If there is no snags it looks like he will be the new addition.

https://247sports.com/Coach/Kerry-Cooks-211/

Edited by TheReal_jayD
  • Upvote 4
  • Thanks 3

Huh?   Isn't he the CB's coach at OU?   He just signed an extension for next year a few weeks ago... was he let go between then & now?  Maybe he doesn't see eye-to-eye with new DC Alex Grinch there?
He was Asst-DC at OU last year, and Co-DC at Notre Dame prior to that.   

This would be a coup if he comes here just to coach DBs.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Huh?   Isn't he the CB's coach at OU?   He just signed an extension for next year a few weeks ago... was he let go between then & now?  Maybe he doesn't see eye-to-eye with new DC Alex Grinch there?
He was Asst-DC at OU last year, and Co-DC at Notre Dame prior to that.   

This would be a coup if he comes here just to coach DBs.

It is looking like he not going to be retained by Grinch at OU. He did meet with Seth at the convention. I am thinking we are hoping to get Cooks as a one year bounce back guy with OU picking up most of the bill. But I am hearing he is drawing some P5 interest so it is not a for sure deal

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1

22 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

It is looking like he not going to be retained by Grinch at OU. He did meet with Seth at the convention. I am thinking we are hoping to get Cooks as a one year bounce back guy with OU picking up most of the bill. But I am hearing he is drawing some P5 interest so it is not a for sure deal

Interesting move by Grinch, and one I wouldn't think Riley would be on-board with... but hey, their loss would be our gain, even if for 1 year.

Man, I would feel A LOT better about our young/inexperienced CBs next year if Cooks were our CBs coach & Co-coordinator with Reff.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Wag Tag said:

Would be concern about a one and done like Ekler!

Did Ekeler make our defense better while he was here?   If so, there's absolutely nothing wrong with his tenure here.
And if coach Cooks decides to come here for 1 season and then go to some P5 school somewhere... if our DBs are better for him being here, then I'm all for it.

• Upvote 4

6 hours ago, 97and03 said:

Looks like our sources are not so reliable?

21 hours ago, TheReal_jayD said:

It is looking like he not going to be retained by Grinch at OU. He did meet with Seth at the convention.  But I am hearing he is drawing some P5 interest so it is not a for sure deal

Looks like source was spot on. Take a lap

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Ray 1
  • Downvote 3