Jalen Guyton first to declare for Draft from North Texas

Skipper

On 1/11/2019 at 9:56 AM, MeanGreenTexan said:

I think Cudjoe Young and/or Quinten Jackson were behind him, but both have also graduated.

We got some really smart student athletes players that will excel in life after football with so many of then graduating before their football eligibility expires. 

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, Danish43 said:

We got some really smart student athletes players that will excel in life after football with so many of then graduating before their football eligibility expires. 

Good point. I also think it helps at the in NCAA has really put an emphasis on academics , or so they say.  More schools are making sure the players attend class and get the schedules they need to ensure they are taking classes that will help for their graduation. 

• Upvote 2

maybe it was just the best option for him...declare and hope to get drafted, or come back to school to pursue a graduate degree...

i have zero desire to ever get my graduate degree (granted, graduated in 2000 so would be a bit weird), but why not take the chance?  if he doesn't get drafted, he has his degree and start his life in his field...i view it as a win/win for him....no matter what, he doesn't come out on the short end of the stick.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, THOR said:

maybe it was just the best option for him...declare and hope to get drafted, or come back to school to pursue a graduate degree...

i have zero desire to ever get my graduate degree (granted, graduated in 2000 so would be a bit weird), but why not take the chance?  if he doesn't get drafted, he has his degree and start his life in his field...i view it as a win/win for him....no matter what, he doesn't come out on the short end of the stick.

Thor is a master degree a must now adays. This is outside the Jalen topic, I got a BBA in 81 and even then it was highly competitive for a Sales Rep position in a Fortune 500 or 100 company.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I could only find one place projecting Guyton to be drafted and that was in the 6th round (7 rounds).  Looking at last year's WR's drafted in 6th round the only guaranteed money is a signing bonus which ranged from 186K to 118K for this group.  Any contract they signed they had to go out and make the team.  If they make the roster then a multi year deal can bring up to half a million a year for some.  

I wish him nothing but the best but I still think another year would really help.  I understand the fear of injury as well while staying in college and the opportunity to make the big money is understandable as well.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/draft/round-6/wide-receiver/

Edited by Talon90