DRC (updated): Jalen Guyton leaving UNT to declare for NFL draft

Harry

9 hours ago, ihopehe said:

I hope he signs with a good agent and trainer because being 14th best in the C-USA for receptions and 10th best in yards is probably not going to open many NFL eyes without being able something else to the table.

I hope he gets a better agent than Bernie.....

Image result for Cow Cartoon, "I jumped over the moon, and all I got was a nursery rhyme

I hope this doesn't happen either..

Image result for Cow Cartoon, Football Cattle call

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

I don’t get some of you and your sour grapes on Jalen. Just a few years ago we had a player (I think Feeney but don’t remember) forgo his senior season so he could move on with his life as a college graduate. Everybody was telling the kid thanks for his contributions and happy for him.

The ONLY difference between Guyton and him is that Guyton has NFL potential. Get over yourselves and wish him luck. The better he does, the better we look. His success reflects well upon us. And should he fail in his pro football aspirations? He is still an alumnus of our beloved university and hopefully returns to Apogee to support future teams as a productive member of society.

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, ForneyGreen said:

So how does this work exactly from a scholarship perspective... do we now have an open 2019 scholarship for a late signee (like maybe a Juco DT)?

Appreciate all that Jaylen did in helping to revive this program!  Very talented - sometimes seemed to have lack of focus - but really hope he kills it in the NFL. 

I didn't check, but I'm sure we have the room from a roster scholarship perspective.  The problem is, we're only allotted 25 scholarships per class.  Jalen wasn't a member of the 2019 recruiting class, so his departure doesn't open a spot to fill with another recruit.  

On 1/11/2019 at 8:40 PM, Cr1028 said:

I don’t get some of you and your sour grapes on Jalen. Just a few years ago we had a player (I think Feeney but don’t remember) forgo his senior season so he could move on with his life as a college graduate. Everybody was telling the kid thanks for his contributions and happy for him.

The ONLY difference between Guyton and him is that Guyton has NFL potential. Get over yourselves and wish him luck. The better he does, the better we look. His success reflects well upon us. And should he fail in his pro football aspirations? He is still an alumnus of our beloved university and hopefully returns to Apogee to support future teams as a productive member of society.

I wish him nothing but the best, as I think most everyone on here is doing the same, but I, like many, believe he could benefit from another year of college ball.  WR's with his stats are a dime a dozen. I hope he has a great combine, gets drafted high and proves us all wrong, but at this point, I feel that is best option is to spend one more year developing, but what do I know.  Again, I wish him nothing but success.

3 minutes ago, meangreenlax said:

I haven't seen him in any of the draft databases. I doubt he will get a projection of anything other than UDFA

No one really knows anything yet until the Senior Bowl games, combines, and Pro-days are done.   
If you want any kind of significant draft projections, you'd have to wait until after all of the above are done.

9 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

I wish him nothing but the best, as I think most everyone on here is doing the same, but I, like many, believe he could benefit from another year of college ball.  WR's with his stats are a dime a dozen. I hope he has a great combine, gets drafted high and proves us all wrong, but at this point, I feel that is best option is to spend one more year developing, but what do I know.  Again, I wish him nothing but success.

I’m sure almost all of us would’ve seen some employable value benefit from another year in school  but is it worth the time/cost/energy? Jalen wants to start his post-school life like anyone else. I’m sure he realizes he isn’t a prized draft pick but be honest, do you truly think his draft stock would improve next year? If anything, it seemed to decline this season compared to last.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, MeanGreenHoops said:

Super confusing thread. It's like people think the NFL cares what your numbers were in college.

It's a proxy by which to judge players relative to their peers. If your college stats are mediocre, what's to say you can compete at the next level where every player you face is going to be world class?

16 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

I’m sure almost all of us would’ve seen some employable value benefit from another year in school  but is it worth the time/cost/energy? Jalen wants to start his post-school life like anyone else. I’m sure he realizes he isn’t a prized draft pick but be honest, do you truly think his draft stock would improve next year? If anything, it seemed to decline this season compared to last.

I'm all for Jalen making the decision he wants to make. He's been a good player for UNT and I believe he graduated in December so he's earned that right. But objectively I think he's making a mistake. When you ask would his draft stock improve, the answer is yes if his production improved, he became more consistent and he eliminated his many drops. I'd argue the other side of this. Coming back won't diminish his draft stock because his draft stock is non existent right now. He won't get drafted. No one has him anywhere near being drafted. It is a class stocked with receivers. His only hope to get drafted would be to come back and have a killer year. I don't fault the young man for chasing his dreams but the reality he is he stood to gain substantially with an impressive senior year and has nothing to lose. That being said, I hope he can get some tryouts, impress a team and catch on. He's one of our own and I'll be hoping for a miracle break through. I think he's making a mistake but it's his life, he earned the right to make the decision and I'm not mad at him.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, meangreenJW said:

I'm all for Jalen making the decision he wants to make. He's been a good player for UNT and I believe he graduated in December so he's earned that right. But objectively I think he's making a mistake. When you ask would his draft stock improve, the answer is yes if his production improved, he became more consistent and he eliminated his many drops. I'd argue the other side of this. Coming back won't diminish his draft stock because his draft stock is non existent right now. He won't get drafted. No one has him anywhere near being drafted. It is a class stocked with receivers. His only hope to get drafted would be to come back and have a killer year. I don't fault the young man for chasing his dreams but the reality he is he stood to gain substantially with an impressive senior year and has nothing to lose. That being said, I hope he can get some tryouts, impress a team and catch on. He's one of our own and I'll be hoping for a miracle break through. I think he's making a mistake but it's his life, he earned the right to make the decision and I'm not mad at him.

He won’t have a monster year as long as Rico Bussey is our top dog. Rico is just plain better by production which is what matters at the collegiate level. By  measurables, Jalen May have the edge and that is what the NFL is more concerned about which is why folks like Darius Hayward Bey get drafted ahead of Michael Crabtree.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

He won’t have a monster year as long as Rico Bussey is our top dog. Rico is just plain better by production which is what matters at the collegiate level. By  measurables, Jalen May have the edge and that is what the NFL is more concerned about which is why folks like Darius Hayward Bey get drafted ahead of Michael Crabtree.

I agree Rico is better. But if he catches half of his drops, his numbers would improve dramatically. 

Found this Draft Diamonds Q&A  on for Mr. Guyton.  Pretty interesting read...

https://www.nfldraftdiamonds.com/2019/01/jalen-guyton/

If you could be any television or movie character, who would you be and why?

• I would be Guts, Master Vader, or YuGiOh...

Also,  Rotoworld has him ranked as the #49 receiver based solely on stats/production.  Based on draft history, about 30-32 WRs are drafted each year...

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/cfb/85659/453/2019-nfl-draft-wr-stats-report

973uUjVRFf0fe_TcBoGfnnTiASxsiT9S2mjFUmtx

• Confused 1

On ‎1‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 10:59 AM, DeepGreen said:

Degree in hand, Jaylon can do what he wants to. Thank you for your service JG.

Totally agree. With his "degree in hand" he will have (as my dear departed mother used to say) a resource that can never be taken from him. Plus, if he is successful in gaining a contract with an NFL team, we will have a success story to sell any other recruit/transfer out there that might have,  passed us over for consideration. And our focus on getting our players a degree will be very attractive to a recruit's parents.

• Upvote 1