DRC (updated): Jalen Guyton leaving UNT to declare for NFL draft

Harry

21 minutes ago, Aldo said:

The only difference between Guyton and Bussey in 2018 was 14 receptions. 

The only difference between Guyton and Lawrence in 2017 was 13 receptions

Bussey got fewer reps at the end of the season because of his hammy.  And Guyton had plenty of opportunities for more receptions, but dropped way too many well placed balls.  He's not that good and his lack of work ethic will be evident when he gets a UDFA contract somewhere and is never heard from again.  Physically he has the tools to be a decent receiver in the NFL (which is what they saw when he was recruited to Notre Dame), but he doesn't have the right attitude.  Has he ever been on one of the post game interviews even after he had a good game?

With all the young talent we have at receiver and the way the air raid works, we shouldn't see any drop off with him leaving.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 2
  • Eye Roll 5
  • Downvote 7

Alternate story...

Nov 18, 2017 - Jaylen Guyton gets the ever-loving cr@p knocked out of him in tonight's game against Army and suffers a concussion.  The impact of this hit will (not surprisingly) cause him to experience numerous dropped passes next year, followed by announcing that he is forgoing his senior year to enter the NFL draft, thus ending his career. 

8 minutes ago, peanuts104 said:

Bussey got fewer reps at the end of the season because of his hammy.  And Guyton had plenty of opportunities for more receptions, but dropped way too many well placed balls.  He's not that good and his lack of work ethic will be evident when he gets a UDFA contract somewhere and is never heard from again.  Physically he has the tools to be a decent receiver in the NFL (which is what they saw when he was recruited to Notre Dame), but he doesn't have the right attitude.  Has he ever been on one of the post game interviews even after he had a good game?

With all the young talent we have at receiver and the way the air raid works, we shouldn't see any drop off with him leaving.

Oh dang!   I thought you were joking above (I gave you the 'haha').   
Do you know him personally?  If no, how can you say anything about his attitude or work ethic?   This opinion reeks of sour grapes.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Oh dang!   I thought you were joking above (I gave you the 'haha').   
Do you know him personally?  If no, how can you say anything about his attitude or work ethic?   This opinion reeks of sour grapes.

Nope, not joking.  And you're right, I don't know him personally, but you can tell with his performance on the field, or lack there of and his body language, especially his body language after dropping a pass that hits him in the numbers.  Physically, he's got a lot of tools, but they are underutilized by the operator.  And I would bet money that's why he didn't stay and duke it out at Notre Dame.

If he gets drafted, great, it's a win for him and it helps the program.  I don't have anything personal against him other than the fact that he had a tendency to drop well placed balls at critical times.

• Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 7

You wanna know what really rubs me the wrong way about this whole thing?  No?  Well too bad. A quote from the last sentence of his NFL draft announcement:

"But remember, while today it is me, we all shall depart."

No **** Sherlock.  But the point is you left early while others didn't.  I truly believe if Mason left for the draft this year, he would have a better chance than Guyton, and his "deficiency" (I don't personally consider QB height under ~5'10" a deficiency for any QB, even in the NFL, but I know NFL GMs do) is probably greater than Guyton's whoopsies arms.  And I don't blame a young man for going out and trying to get some green and I never would.  I blame him because I truly think the only reason he is doing this is because he thinks there's a real chance of him losing his job next year.  With the year he had, it makes no sense to leave for the draft.  Hate all you want, but if you compare him to Bussey, Bussey got better in the offseason and was the best receiver on the team last year.  You could make an argument that Guyton got worse in the offseason and EVEN WORSE contributed to our offensive stagnation in the second half of games with his drops.  I don't want to say that definitively because I would need to go back and rewatch the games to see how much of an impact the drops had at critical moments, but based on memory, his drops hurt us quite a bit.

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 7
  • Downvote 8

33 minutes ago, VideoEagle said:

Did I miss something, didn't he graduate in December? The purpose of college is learn and earn a degree. He did so early while playing football - something that is NOT easy. It calls for a lot of long nights after practice studying. I'm guessing since he has no plans for a Masters, he really has no reason to take a number of graduate courses just to play football. Leaving school after you graduate isn't leaving early.

Exactly this.

I imagine @peanuts104 didn’t hang around UNT after his graduation taking classes that he didn’t want or need simply because it was better for the university either.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, peanuts104 said:

Hate all you want.  I'll be right when our receiving corps does better next season.

I don't know if anyone is "hating", rather, disgusted with your tearing down an alumnus.

Will you be wrong if he's on an NFL roster next season?
As for your claim, I suppose the proof will be in the pudding.    Let's see if White/Ogunmakin/Shorter/<whoever wins his vacated Z spot>  can eclipse 54 catches for 800+yds & 6 TDs.  The bar is clearly set.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

6 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I don't know if anyone is "hating", rather, disgusted with your tearing down an alumnus.

Will you be wrong if he's on an NFL roster next season?
As for your claim, I suppose the proof will be in the pudding.    Let's see if White/Ogunmakin/Shorter/<whoever wins his vacated Z spot>  can eclipse 54 catches for 800+yds & 6 TDs.  The bar is clearly set.

Not to mention that objectively, he’s been one of the key cogs to a massive program turnaround. We should all be thankful for his contributions and wish him success at the next level.

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1

He was a very good player for us no doubt.  I dont know why he dropped so many easy passes this year.  I guess if it gets in your brain and to try to hard that is what happens.  He did make some great catches that I doubt most receivers would back.  It was an odd year for him.  Good Luck in the draft and I hope you are playing on Sundays.

CUSA has lost a lot of good players this year declaring for the draft.  Interesting to see who gets drafted and not go the way unsigned free agent route.

Anyone know what Zach Orr is doing these days?  

19 hours ago, peanuts104 said:

Good.  I think he was scared of the competition from our younger receivers and knew he wasn't going to be the starter next year.

We can hope that is the reason but it will hard to replace Guyton.  He took pressure off Bussey.  If our OL is better next season I think we will be ok.  We lost all three at that position and I hope someone is ready to step up.

Goodness @peanuts104 and @ihopehe I never said he was elite and those are some bad takes. I didn't realize my comments about him being good for us and commanding defensive attention would be taken so.

He's good enough to be on an NFL roster that's for sure, and in CUSA he was specifically targeted by opposing defenses, creating many 1-on-1 opportunities for Bussey, and opening room behind the LBs for Darden.

He's got the skill to be on an NFL roster.

And yes he was on sweeps both seasons. It's a forward pass play so it wouldn't register on a stat sheet as a run.

He doesn't field returns because that would throw up a red flag. You have specific players for that - specifically not your outside receivers. Not unless everyone else either sucks or is hurt, which did become an issue this season. You don't want to see Bussey or Guyton handling those midseason.

In terms of production, sure we may see similar numbers from other guys, but Guyton was dynamic and made mental mistakes. Bussey had the same issue in 2017: injury, mental mistakes (drops), and good production.

On tape Guyton has the ability, not sure what else to say.

Edited by Aldo
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

7 minutes ago, Aldo said:

Goodness @peanuts104 and @ihopehe I never said he was elite and those are some bad takes. I didn't realize my comments about him being good for us and commanding defensive attention would be taken so.

He's good enough to be on an NFL roster that's for sure, and in CUSA he was specifically targeted by opposing defenses, creating many 1-on-1 opportunities for Bussey, and opening room behind the LBs for Darden.

And yes he was on sweeps both seasons. It's a forward pass play so it wouldn't register on a stat sheet as a run.

He doesn't field returns because that would throw up a red flag. You have specific players for that - specifically not your outside receivers. Not unless everyone else either sucks or is hurt, which did become an issue this season. You don't want to see Bussey or Guyton handling those midseason.

In terms of production, sure we may see similar numbers from other guys, but Guyton was dynamic and made mental mistakes. Bussey had the same issue in 2017: injury, mental mistakes (drops), and good production.

FlashyEachAngora-max-1mb.gif

• Haha 3

All that being said, I am excited for Greg White (he quick) if he can stay healthy, but also want to see what Jyaire Shorter's (he fast) got.

Other dudes to keep an ear out on: Signee I liked last year was Austin Ogunmakin (he big) and this year definitely definitely Deonte Simpson (he nasty). I'm curious about Khatib Lyles (he good). 

But only Simpson and maybe Shorter and bigger maybe Lyles, though, seem the best replacement for Guyton, which isn't necessarily a great sign (freshmen).

1 hour ago, Aldo said:

I went overboard in my negative assessment without addressing the positives he has brought to the team.  I was mostly trying to defend my original post.  I think we have some solid younger guys (like Shorter) that I think he thought he might either lose his job to or he might split time with.  If he tried to declare next year with less playing time, his perceived value would go down if he was splitting time at the Z position.

Sometimes I go overboard, and I apologize for that.

• Upvote 2

So how does this work exactly from a scholarship perspective... do we now have an open 2019 scholarship for a late signee (like maybe a Juco DT)?

Appreciate all that Jaylen did in helping to revive this program!  Very talented - sometimes seemed to have lack of focus - but really hope he kills it in the NFL. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

On 1/10/2019 at 9:09 AM, MEANGREENCOACH2 said:

why has nobody mentioned anything about the new XFL.

That may be his landing place if he doesnt get picked up in the draft.

Funny this was brought up - The night before the Bowl Game, I was in the elevator at the team hotel with Quinn and asked him what his plans were after the season (you know, if he was going to shoot for his PHD at UNT, team manager/towel boy, or something else to stick around Denton (jokingly)) - He brought up potentially going to the XFL!  Not kidding.  I cannot see him there, but that's just my opinion.  He went on to say that ultimately, he sees himself coaching as that's what he is passionate about.  Will be interesting to see how the XFL rolls out, as I wouldn't be surprised if we do see some NT names there in the future; probably some JG-scenario types.  I hope JG will be successful, but also hoping he follows the right steps and has a back-up plan.  Another year at UNT would have done him some real good, but to each their own!

As another post said, I would be far more concerned if this were Rico Bussey.  Can't wait to see that kid play next year. 

• Upvote 2