DRC (updated): Jalen Guyton leaving UNT to declare for NFL draft

Harry

I hope he’s close to finishing his degree more than anything.  He seems like a great kid and I hope he kills it in the nfl.  Maybe he can be a shorter version of Malcolm Floyd, former Charger.  He doesn’t have great hands and isn’t close to a polished route runner, but I’m hoping he rests well so someone can work with him. Some of our best nfl stories came from guys that would not have projected to be good nfl players (waters, cobb, Kassel)

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, edcollopy said:

I hope he’s close to finishing his degree more than anything.  He seems like a great kid and I hope he kills it in the nfl.  Maybe he can be a shorter version of Malcolm Floyd, former Charger.  He doesn’t have great hands and isn’t close to a polished route runner, but I’m hoping he rests well so someone can work with him. Some of our best nfl stories came from guys that would not have projected to be good nfl players (waters, cobb, Kassel)

He technically walked during the New Mexico Bowl commencement event they had the night before the Bowl Game. My dad asked Mason that night if he (JG) would be returning as a grad transfer next year and Mason told us yes, so I think this is news to everyone since obviously his plans have changed since that took place. He does have his degree though.

Edited by Jessica M Hall
  • Upvote 7

Best of luck to JG!!   Have a great pro-day, and he could sneak into the draft.   
Otherwise, he'll definitely get a shot in someone's camp as a UDFA.

How awesome would it be to have 2 dudes drafted after all these years? (assuming Ejiya is going to get picked)

Time for one of White/Ogunmakin/Shorter to step up & seize their opportunity.

• Upvote 6

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

How awesome would it be to have 2 dudes drafted after all these years? (assuming Ejiya is going to get picked)

Call me Old Denton, or whatever, but you may be putting 2 horses in front of the cart this time. I mean to say, Ejiya would be nice, but it's far from a safe assumption that he gets drafted.

• Upvote 2

• Harry unlocked this topic

I'm not a fan of pro football, but I wish Jalen nothing but the best in the NFL of whatever pro league he can make.

I like some of you think this is a bit premature.  He was not named to the All-Conference team, or Second Team, or even an Honorable Mention.  Guyton seems to be like that guy that every team has;  A pretty good receiver.  I thought Breelan Chancellor  seemed like a better receiver and he couldn't stick with the San Diego Chargers. 

Do I understand that if Jalen DOES NOT hire an agent he can come back for his final year assuming he is not drafted ?  What if he's not drafted but offered a free agent deal ? 

I'd like him to be able to come back if this draft project doesn't work and have an all-conference quality year and then get chosen higher in the draft.

GO JALEN

GO MEAN GREEN

• Thanks 3
  • Eye Roll 2

28 minutes ago, greenjoe said:

I'm not a fan of pro football, but I wish Jalen nothing but the best in the NFL of whatever pro league he can make.

I like some of you think this is a bit premature.  He was not named to the All-Conference team, or Second Team, or even an Honorable Mention.  Guyton seems to be like that guy that every team has;  A pretty good receiver.  I thought Breelan Chancellor  seemed like a better receiver and he couldn't stick with the San Diego Chargers. 

Do I understand that if Jalen DOES NOT hire an agent he can come back for his final year assuming he is not drafted ?  What if he's not drafted but offered a free agent deal ? 

I'd like him to be able to come back if this draft project doesn't work and have an all-conference quality year and then get chosen higher in the draft.

GO JALEN

GO MEAN GREEN

This. I wish him nothing but the best. 

• Upvote 1

Per CBSSPORTS:

"Guyton has decided to forgo his senior season at North Texas to enter the 2019 NFL draft, Brett Vito of the Denton Record-Chronicle reports. Guyton closed out his 2018 season with North Texas by recording his third 100-yard receiving game of the campaign. The Notre Dame transfer, who landed with the Mean Green following a stint in junior college, posted a pair of impressive seasons, using his speed to rack up yards per catch marks of 15.8 and 14.9. A good showing at the NFL combine and the team's pro day could boost Guyton up draft boards, but he's certainly not a guarantee to go in the first two days of the draft at this point."

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Talon90 said:

Per CBSSPORTS:

"Guyton has decided to forgo his senior season at North Texas to enter the 2019 NFL draft, Brett Vito of the Denton Record-Chronicle reports. Guyton closed out his 2018 season with North Texas by recording his third 100-yard receiving game of the campaign. The Notre Dame transfer, who landed with the Mean Green following a stint in junior college, posted a pair of impressive seasons, using his speed to rack up yards per catch marks of 15.8 and 14.9. A good showing at the NFL combine and the team's pro day could boost Guyton up draft boards, but he's certainly not a guarantee to go in the first two days of the draft at this point."

"not a guarantee to go in the first two days" sounds like "wouldn't be surprising if he is drafted in the later rounds" to me. Is that what anyone else read?

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

I wish him nothing but the best.  

When he was switched on he had a skill set that none of our other receivers possessed. 

He is a special talent when he is on, see 2018 smuT for example. If he puts in the work, he can definitely play at the next level. 

Guyton year 1 to year 2

Year Rec. Yards Avg. TD Rec./G Yards/G
2017 49 775 15.82 9 3.8 59.6
2018 54 805 14.91 6 4.2 61.9

Drops was an issue in 2018 but dang y'all are crazy. He was good for us and has skill that commanded opposing defensive coordinators to scheme him out of games.

He graduated and was ready to move on.

• Upvote 3