Great QB's

SilverEagle

I've said this many times in the past.   But after watching the highlights of the national championship game (and Lawrence's performance) I believe as much as ever that a lot of "great" QB's owe a lot of their "greatness" to the freakishly great receivers on their team....who make a lot of freakishly great catches.......like the Clemson receivers.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 6

Let's not diminish Lawrence.  He played with grit and toughness for a true freshman.  He read the defense like it was a tweet (meaning it was easy) and threw to open targets OR threw his targets open.  He was accurate enough.  If he puts on 10-20 more pounds of muscle, gets some more zip on the ball, and hones his accuracy even more, he will be a terrifying qb to face in college and once he makes it to the NFL.

22 minutes ago, peanuts104 said:

Let's not diminish Lawrence.  He played with grit and toughness for a true freshman.  He read the defense like it was a tweet (meaning it was easy) and threw to open targets OR threw his targets open.  He was accurate enough.  If he puts on 10-20 more pounds of muscle, gets some more zip on the ball, and hones his accuracy even more, he will be a terrifying qb to face in college and once he makes it to the NFL.

.........Or this might be as good as he ever gets.

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 5

I thought the Clemson receivers were absolutely outstanding last night.  Having said that--Lawrence put the ball where he needed to in order to give those receivers a chance to catch it.  That's what a good QB should be able to do when afforded protection/time.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, emmitt01 said:

A lot of QB's are "products of their receivers" (let's not forget who our own Kason Martin threw to in HS), but Lawrence is the real deal.  Yes, he had great protection last night, but several of the most critical throws were made as he was about to be hit.  And he is a FRESHMAN

Do you think that the if the "freshman"  Mason Fine were inserted into last nights game (with all of the freakish players around him),  would he have made all of the same throws? 

I don't how many times in the past I've seen people post highlight videos on this board of QB's that they wished we were in a position to recruit, and my take on most of them were...…."who the hell are those receivers? Can we realistically go after them?"

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 3

Football is a team sport, if the team as a whole isn't good then star players are not NEARLY as big stars as they could have been. A top running back isn't going to get nearly the yardage if there are few holes to run through. Receivers need someone to get them the ball and QBs need someone to catch it. 

I think Fine is likely the best QB in FBS football currently playing in Texas, but I don't think he would make those all of those throws I saw last night. He would make more than most QBs, but not likely all of the ones Lawrence made.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, SilverEagle said:

I've said this many times in the past.   But after watching the highlights of the national championship game (and Lawrence's performance) I believe as much as ever that a lot of "great" QB's owe a lot of their "greatness" to the freakishly great receivers on their team....who make a lot of freakishly great catches.......like the Clemson receivers.

How is that the conclusion you came to?

That kid is making throws NFL quarterbacks couldn't dream of making already.

Quarterback is the most important position in football, it's even more important for non AQ (I am going back to this term screw calling them "power 5") schools, hence the reason we have gone to three straight bowls.

I remember posting here a long time ago wondering if we would ever have a Kolton Browning, Keith Wenning etc play here after years of abysmal qb play. We finally got our guy, there is no way we win as many games as we did in 2017 with another QB taking snaps. There is also no way Alabama gets ragdolled by any team unless there is a truly great QB on the opposite side of the ball.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

24 minutes ago, Salsa_Verde said:

I’m sorry 347 yards passing and 3 touchdowns is not managing the game. He shredded that defense....as a true freshman! 

2 minutes ago, greenminer said:

He had some incredible weapons around him.  Not gonna split hairs with you.  I stand by my post.

I think both sides are right.  There were times when he made a great read, and threw a ball as well as any QB.  There were times he threw a bad ball and the WR made an incredible catch.  

I do know for most of the night he had a clean, clean pocket.  No sacks.  Very little pressure.  Mason Fine could also do incredible things if we gave him that protection.  

5 hours ago, CK2 said:

Ehlinger, Bowman and King say hi.

I'm basing it on comments from DMN columnists, DCTF reporters, Sonny Dykes and Chad Morris of the course of the last season.

EDIT - I just noticed @Cerebus post that Fine was named QB of the "All Texas all star team" for 2018.  

Edited by VideoEagle