Nat’l Champ Boycott!

Wag Tag

13 minutes ago, GreenN'walinsVet said:

So you truly think these are not the two best teams in college football?

When are we (all) wake up and realize we are dealing with a Cartel that will do all in its power to keep others down!  As they are having trouble selling tkts I would also think viewership will be down! Again!

Edited by Wag Tag
  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

Boycott?  Nah.  Last year was the year to do it, when a truly deserving Central Florida team was left out.  These two teams both earned the right to be here, as far as I'm concerned.

That said, I'm not tremendously excited to watch it.  It's like a mediocre book I've already read a few times.

Edited by Mean Green 93-98
  • Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 2
  • Ray 1
  • Downvote 1

8 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

Boycott?  Nah.  Last year was the year to do it, when a truly deserving Central Florida team was left out.  These two teams both earned the right to be here, as far as I'm concerned.

That said, I'm not tremendously excited to watch it.  It's like a mediocre book I've already read a few times.

UCF was undefeated this year!

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 2

10 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

UCF was undefeated this year!

So is Alabama and Clemson, (both of which played a much tougher schedule).

Am i excited to watch...YES   I don't understand why you wouldn't want to watch two very good if not great football teams square off.  I sure do, why? because i like watching good college football

As far as the lack of ticket sales, i would firmly put this on the location not the matchup.  Two teams from across the country with 1 week to make plans to a very expensive destination and 1 that has proven time and time again that it does not support college football (see Pac 12 championship games, standard and cal attendance figures, etc...)

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Ray 1
  • Downvote 1

27 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

When are we (all) wake up and realize we are dealing with a Cartel that will do all in its power to keep others down!  As they are having trouble selling tkts I would also think viewership will be down! Again!

The P5 giants of the world have all of the power--they own the media, legislatures, conferences, sponsors, and fans. The foolish part of calling all of us FBS perpetuates an image of equality. Its not even close to being true. Those of us in the G5s don't have anywhere near those resources. North Texas, whom we all love, has only had one crowd over 30k ever attend a game in Denton. Texas and A&M get 90k or more almost every game they play. IOW, its never going to be level or equal because it can't be. Same for UH, SMU, UTSA, Rice, Texas State, and everyone else in this state.

What needs to happen is that those Power Giants need to just fully separate. Right now, even within the P5s, there is significant differences in revenue between programs. In 2016-2017, in the Big 12, Texas had $215m in revenue (first in the country). OU had $155m (7th in the country). WVU had $110m (27th in the country). KU had $95m (36th in the country). OSU had $91m (40th in the country). Tech had 89m (43rd in the country). K-State had 86m (45th in the country) . Iowa State had $82.6 million (50th in the country). That's astronomically different from the top to the bottom. Now compare ISU's revenue to the highest revenue producer in the G5s, the AFA, which was 55th in public institutions and produced $59.6m in revenue. UH was next at $57.1m, followed by UCF at $56.3m, SDSU at $52.4m, and USF at $50m. The top revenue producing team in CUSA was Old Dominion--at $46.2m. Charlotte, FAU, MTSU, and FIU follow until you get to us at #94, where we produced $32m. BTW, the 124th thru 126th rated schools for revenues in that time frame were all from the CUSA West, UAB at $24.8m, LT at $24.7m, and USM at $24m.

Its ok to recognize that the term FBS is not built on equality--in any way or form. The top G5 program producing under $60m, while the lowest P5 (Washington State) had over $64m doesn't seem to broad, but it doesn't take long for that budget difference and fanbase difference to make you see that the P5s have cultivated followings for decades. I still believe it is PATENTLY UNFAIR to the players at our level of play to be the only ones in any level that don't get to compete for a national championship, all because the ADs and Presidents at G5 institutions depend on the big money from these OOC bodybag games, which are also PATENTLY UNFAIR. Money and media have created this huge division--and its not going to change ever on this. And if you don't think a playoff for the G5s that would have involved UCF, Fresno State, Army, Boise State, Utah State, Cincy, App State, and UAB playing each other in December wouldn't have created more attention that the spare bowls we in the G5 all played in (except for UCF), I don't know what to say. It would add in some also excitement for our level of play at this time of the year, all while the P5s are sitting down and not playing.

• Thanks 3
  • Eye Roll 1

4 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

The P5 giants of the world have all of the power--they own the media, legislatures, conferences, sponsors, and fans. The foolish part of calling all of us FBS perpetuates an image of equality. Its not even close to being true. Those of us in the G5s don't have anywhere near those resources. North Texas, whom we all love, has only had one crowd over 30k ever attend a game in Denton. Texas and A&M get 90k or more almost every game they play. IOW, its never going to be level or equal because it can't be. Same for UH, SMU, UTSA, Rice, Texas State, and everyone else in this state.

What needs to happen is that those Power Giants need to just fully separate. Right now, even within the P5s, there is significant differences in revenue between programs. In 2016-2017, in the Big 12, Texas had $215m in revenue (first in the country). OU had $155m (7th in the country). WVU had $110m (27th in the country). KU had $95m (36th in the country). OSU had $91m (40th in the country). Tech had 89m (43rd in the country). K-State had 86m (45th in the country) . Iowa State had $82.6 million (50th in the country). That's astronomically different from the top to the bottom. Now compare ISU's revenue to the highest revenue producer in the G5s, the AFA, which was 55th in public institutions and produced $59.6m in revenue. UH was next at $57.1m, followed by UCF at $56.3m, SDSU at $52.4m, and USF at $50m. The top revenue producing team in CUSA was Old Dominion--at $46.2m. Charlotte, FAU, MTSU, and FIU follow until you get to us at #94, where we produced $32m. BTW, the 124th thru 126th rated schools for revenues in that time frame were all from the CUSA West, UAB at $24.8m, LT at $24.7m, and USM at $24m.

Its ok to recognize that the term FBS is not built on equality--in any way or form. The top G5 program producing under $60m, while the lowest P5 (Washington State) had over $64m doesn't seem to broad, but it doesn't take long for that budget difference and fanbase difference to make you see that the P5s have cultivated followings for decades. I still believe it is PATENTLY UNFAIR to the players at our level of play to be the only ones in any level that don't get to compete for a national championship, all because the ADs and Presidents at G5 institutions depend on the big money from these OOC bodybag games, which are also PATENTLY UNFAIR. Money and media have created this huge division--and its not going to change ever on this. And if you don't think a playoff for the G5s that would have involved UCF, Fresno State, Army, Boise State, Utah State, Cincy, App State, and UAB playing each other in December wouldn't have created more attention that the spare bowls we in the G5 all played in (except for UCF), I don't know what to say. It would add in some also excitement for our level of play at this time of the year, all while the P5s are sitting down and not playing.

8EE73F9C-C924-4F57-8E59-4546FA78F946.gif

• Haha 2
  • Eye Roll 1

2 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

I understand this angle. But we can't concede unless 35-40 of the poorer "P5" concede with us. We can't openly relegate ourselves without them coming to play. Let the 30 or so left play semi pro ball. Then, and only then, I'm on board. 

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1

4 hours ago, GreenN'walinsVet said:

So is Alabama and Clemson, (both of which played a much tougher schedule).

Am i excited to watch...YES   I don't understand why you wouldn't want to watch two very good if not great football teams square off.  I sure do, why? because i like watching good college football

As far as the lack of ticket sales, i would firmly put this on the location not the matchup.  Two teams from across the country with 1 week to make plans to a very expensive destination and 1 that has proven time and time again that it does not support college football (see Pac 12 championship games, standard and cal attendance figures, etc...)

You're watching semi-pro football dressed up in the uniforms of a couple of universities.

Other than our games and parts of a few games of teams we play in conference, I haven't watched any other NCAA or NFL football for over 2 years.  Haven't missed it a bit.

Edited by meaniegreenie
  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 2

15 minutes ago, meaniegreenie said:

You're watching semi-pro football dressed up in the uniforms of a couple of universities.

Other than our games and parts of a few games of teams we play in conference, I haven't watched any other NCAA or NFL football for over 2 years.  Haven't missed it a bit.

I love how so many on here bad mouth P5 college football and even more specifically top end P5 college football.   What if SMU hadn't been a little bitch all those years ago and ole Mr. Fry got us into the SWC...Then on the split, the new Big 12 decided they wanted UNT instead of Texas Tech....Now we are in the P5 and who knows, maybe even the upper tier with Texas and such....do we all spit the same garbage about semi-pro and elitism that gets spit now?  Doubt it.  

So just because I'm a fan of UNT doesn't mean i cant enjoy all of college football....because call it what you want....i thoroughly  enjoy it, and will continue to do 

• Upvote 6
  • Ray 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, GreenN'walinsVet said:

I love how so many on here bad mouth P5 college football and even more specifically top end P5 college football.   What if SMU hadn't been a little bitch all those years ago and ole Mr. Fry got us into the SWC...Then on the split, the new Big 12 decided they wanted UNT instead of Texas Tech....Now we are in the P5 and who knows, maybe even the upper tier with Texas and such....do we all spit the same garbage about semi-pro and elitism that gets spit now?  Doubt it.  

So just because I'm a fan of UNT doesn't mean i cant enjoy all of college football....because call it what you want....i thoroughly  enjoy it, and will continue to do 

To take this a step forward, what if we don’t get in the SWC, but we stayed a Division 1-A school. At worst, we are at least one rung up the ladder. We probably end up in the old WAC before the SWC broke up. From there, my guess is we would have joined the original CUSA with all those former MVC teams. But that I-aa move down for 12 freaking years was your killer for ever being a Power school. At this point, the best we can and should aspire to be is the top of the G5, like UCF and Boise State have been.

19 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

I understand this angle. But we can't concede unless 35-40 of the poorer "P5" concede with us. We can't openly relegate ourselves without them coming to play. Let the 30 or so left play semi pro ball. Then, and only then, I'm on board. 

If only the G5s break away, the end result would be another version of D1-AA. No TV deals, no anything. Revenues will go down even more. Why would we want that?

Now if the bottom 75 percent of the P5 wants to join, it gets interesting. Let the 20-30 big programs do their own thing and play semi-pro ball (champions league, or some other corny name), and let everyone else play college football. I'm not sure the weak P5 teams have any incentive to break away, either.

There doesn't appear to be a good solution out there.

39 minutes ago, meangreenlax said:

If only the G5s break away, the end result would be another version of D1-AA. No TV deals, no anything. Revenues will go down even more. Why would we want that?

Now if the bottom 75 percent of the P5 wants to join, it gets interesting. Let the 20-30 big programs do their own thing and play semi-pro ball (champions league, or some other corny name), and let everyone else play college football. I'm not sure the weak P5 teams have any incentive to break away, either.

There doesn't appear to be a good solution out there.

The TV revenues might drop, but they aren't high now. However, you realign to get conferences and divisions closer, so you lower travel costs and increase fan attendance. 

Look, we are just whores right now at this level. We get money from bodybag games, while our teams don't get equal consideration at all with the Power League brethren (see UCF and Boise State over the years). Our ADs and Presidents are ok with it because its just easy. But what the big boys don't have is a real playoff system. SO, you can either still let the top G5 program play the P5 team in a BCS bowl game or let them try to play for a national championship in the G5 playoff system that could easily be 8 teams to be played over three weeks in December. 

We get our bodybag games, we get a playoff system to actually reward our kids, coaches, and fans with a national championship, and we get all of the attention that no Power League team gets since they are not playing until late December/early January.

Or we can dream that some legislative play will be made to make us equal with the Texas Tech's of the world...here's a hint--it ain't happening.

2 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

The TV revenues might drop, but they aren't high now. However, you realign to get conferences and divisions closer, so you lower travel costs and increase fan attendance. 

Look, we are just whores right now at this level. We get money from bodybag games, while our teams don't get equal consideration at all with the Power League brethren (see UCF and Boise State over the years). Our ADs and Presidents are ok with it because its just easy. But what the big boys don't have is a real playoff system. SO, you can either still let the top G5 program play the P5 team in a BCS bowl game or let them try to play for a national championship in the G5 playoff system that could easily be 8 teams to be played over three weeks in December. 

We get our bodybag games, we get a playoff system to actually reward our kids, coaches, and fans with a national championship, and we get all of the attention that no Power League team gets since they are not playing until late December/early January.

Or we can dream that some legislative play will be made to make us equal with the Texas Tech's of the world...here's a hint--it ain't happening.

I disagree. Like I disagreed that we were "stuck with McCarney" for another 2 years. The have not's will eventually see the writing on the wall, eventually. To add, eventually the coattail riders will have their piece of the pie will be cut. The greed is too real by the bluebloods. 

3 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

Before we bend over and relegate ourselves to FCS, the G5 needs to do a better job of fighting for a landscape that is more palatable to low revenue athletics departments. The Power conferences have worked to gain autonomy in rule making, the Group of 5 should try as well. G5 teams should fight to for their football teams to become exempt from Title IX and cut "non revenue" sports. This would not be popular, and honestly I don't know how I feel about this myself, but it might be necessary. 

Outside of that, the G5 needs to thin the herd of small market, low ceiling teams, and coalesce into fewer bigger regional conferences.  Lets do that before we create another D1 football subdivision that nobody will really care about.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1