Week 10 Polls

MCMLXXX

5 hours ago, Harry said:

Don’t have a link but I stumbled across a UCLA fan online making a case they should consider hiring McCasland.  Not saying it will happen but who the heck knows.  Coach Bro just got hired to the NFL after getting fired at Tech for goodness sakes!  If he keeps winning he’s going to get some looks.

I honestly think it would take a big-name perennial BBall power like UCLA (although not recently), Louisville, Syracuse, Kentucky, Gonzaga, etc.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Jason Howeth said:

The biggest concern that we should all have. I think McCasland loves UNT and being here with these guys. I can't imagine him taking another job for at least another 2 seasons, but I've been wrong before. 

I think what will really work in our favor is family, just like with SL.

McCasland is from Irving and went to Baylor. He also has a degree from Texas Tech. He's a texan all the way. Right now he gets to coach basically at home. Although he would likely leave for one of the true blue bloods, I think his dream job is Baylor and I don't see him leaving for many programs other than Baylor unless it's a bigger program in Texas or Oklahoma that can get him closer to Baylor while staying close to home.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

I think what will really work in our favor is family, just like with SL.

McCasland is from Irving and went to Baylor. He also has a degree from Texas Tech. He's a texan all the way. Right now he gets to coach basically at home. Although he would likely leave for one of the true blue bloods, I think his dream job is Baylor and I don't see him leaving for many programs other than Baylor unless it's a bigger program in Texas or Oklahoma that can get him closer to Baylor while staying close to home.

I think McCasland leaving directly for Baylor (if they ever get tired of Drew) is MUCH MORE LIKELY than Littrell leaving directly for OU.    However, i highly doubt either of those scenarios happen, and we eventually lose both anyway.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I think McCasland leaving directly for Baylor (if they ever get tired of Drew) is MUCH MORE LIKELY than Littrell leaving directly for OU.    However, i highly doubt either of those scenarios happen, and we eventually lose both anyway.

I agree but my point is more that I doubt McCasland will leave for just any job either. I think when leaves, he stays close to Texas.

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

Folks I love GM but he's not a guy who has stayed anywhere.  At the 4 year college level he has been HC at:

• MSU for 3 Years
  • ACU for 2 MONTHS
  • ASU for 1 Year
  • NT for 2 Years 

If he is here next year, that will tie his longest tenure.

Just moving around looking for the right place to settle down.  I think/hope he's found that place.

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 2

4 hours ago, Cerebus said:

Folks I love GM but he's not a guy who has stayed anywhere.  At the 4 year college level he has been HC at:

• MSU for 3 Years
  • ACU for 2 MONTHS
  • ASU for 1 Year
  • NT for 2 Years 

If he is here next year, that will tie his longest tenure.

The same could be said about SL and he's staying. Difference now is they're head coaches close to home for the fist time in their young careers. They have the job title, money, and ideal work/life situation to be selective in their next job for the first time in their careers.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Cerebus said:

SL had never been a HC before.   Assistants move around more than a HC.  

Fair but then we're using Grant being the HC at a division 2 school in Midwestern State as a barometer for how often he job hops. I don't think looking at either SL or GM's history is relevant to now. The upward trajectory of coaches generally slows down when they're HC's at this level especially for college basketball. College basketball has a lot of schools playing D1 ball. Unless UNT is the Cinderella of March Madness this year, GM isn't going anywhere. 

• Upvote 1

The next step above UNT is HC at a regular March Madness player. Just like nobody "above" us is hiring SL until he wins a CUSA ship and/or bowl game, nobody "above" us is hiring GM until he makes the tourney and wins 1 game. Arkansas State isn't a player and UNT is close to home. Those are the reasons he left after 1 year.  Had it been UMass that called GM a year and a half ago, GM would still be at Ark State.

@Cerebus

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, GMG_Dallas said:

The next step above UNT is HC at a regular March Madness player. Just like nobody "above" us is hiring SL until he wins a CUSA ship and/or bowl game, nobody "above" us is hiring GM until he makes the tourney and wins 1 game. Arkansas State isn't a player and UNT is close to home. Those are the reasons he left after 1 year.  Had it been UMass that called GM a year and a half ago, GM would still be at Ark State.

UMASS is an A-10 school.   That's basically a "Power" conference in basketball.   If they offered McCasland, he might go NOW, and he probably would have left ARSt.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

1 minute ago, Cerebus said:

???

KSU was his job to turn down. 

Says you and the media who said him going to KSU was a done deal. What we do know is KSU was desperate to get anybody because B Snyder still wanted his role with the program. What we don't know is how many HCs turned down KSU before they got to SL.

• Eye Roll 1

8 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

UMASS is an A-10 school.   That's basically a "Power" conference in basketball.   If they offered McCasland, he might go NOW, and he probably would have left ARSt.

Incredible stretch but ok. 2 teams from the A10 have made the final 4 since 1970 not including UMass in 96 which was vacated. And yes, I had to look this up. There's a reason why Shaka Smart's cinderalla runs at VCU got him to UT (after 6 years there), they are not a basketball power conference. There's a reason Steph Curry leading Davidson to some upsets was so incredible - they are not a power conference.

• Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 1

12 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Umass pays their coach about $150k more than we pay GM right now. We can best UMass money easy if we needed to. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

3 years. Screams power conference.

Compared to CUSA's 3 total in those three years.  Or North Texas'  3 in our entire history? A10 has existed for 42 years, and sent 3 or more teams 33 of those years.   They had a down year last year, still sent 3 teams, and had as many as 6 recently (2014).  

46 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

Compared to CUSA's 3 total in those three years.  Or North Texas'  3 in our entire history? A10 has existed for 42 years, and sent 3 or more teams 33 of those years.   They had a down year last year, still sent 3 teams, and had as many as 6 recently (2014).  

Good for them. GM isn't leaving unless it's a school in Texas or a power conference/national power and he's not moving up unless he makes noise in March. That's where this conversation started and that's where I'll end my conversation. Took much more accomplished coaches much longer to move up to where GM probably sees himself. One decent and one good season (so far) at UNT isn't going to get him the next big offer. It's also going to take more than 150k in a slightly better conference to make him move out of Texas and out of DFW which is where he's from. He'll be here for 2019-2020.

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

13 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Incredible stretch but ok. 2 teams from the A10 have made the final 4 since 1970 not including UMass in 96 which was vacated. And yes, I had to look this up. There's a reason why Shaka Smart's cinderalla runs at VCU got him to UT (after 6 years there), they are not a basketball power conference. There's a reason Steph Curry leading Davidson to some upsets was so incredible - they are not a power conference.

UT was able to purchase Smart.  To be expected.  Hard to pass up NCAA royalty.  That’s the kind of jump successful A-10 coaches make though.

Davidson’s run was incredible because it was Davidson, and not Dayton/VCU/StBonneventure/SLU/StJoes/etc... other normal front runner schools that are ranked &/or consistently getting into the Tournament.  

Unlike the SBC or CUSA, where McCasland was/is. 

Just saying... maybe you could have chosen a different example school.

• Upvote 2