Week 10 Polls

MCMLXXX

23 minutes ago, greeneagle1 said:

I really want to speak to the people who think Texas is a top 25 team and we are not. I know Texas didnt make the top 25, but some voters think they should. 

I agree but their schedule is a lot more difficult.

4 hours ago, greeneagle1 said:

I really want to speak to the people who think Texas is a top 25 team and we are not. I know Texas didnt make the top 25, but some voters think they should. 

I'm one. Who have we beaten? Have you even bothered to look at who Texas has beaten? I'm not going to do your homework for you but you should look at it.

3 hours ago, All About UNT said:

I'm one. Who have we beaten? Have you even bothered to look at who Texas has beaten? I'm not going to do your homework for you but you should look at it.

University of New Mexico in their house where they just beat undefeated #7 Nevada for one. 

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 3

That cliche that's been tossed around the bball forum before...

You're going to win a few games you should have lost, and lose a few games that you should have won...

My observation? The polls/media use those "swing" games in their favor.  In our case, if they want us out of the polls then they will say the UNM game was a game we should have lost.  If they want us IN the polls, they will hang their hats on the UNM game.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Censored by Laurie said:

wait...Texas has one more AP vote and 7 fewer coaches poll votes and we're complaining about perception again? 

10-4 with three quality losses, one weird outlier (haven't bothered to dig into potential whys) and wins against a solid Arkansas, an always pesky & white Purdue...and a win against then number 7, now number 12 North Carolina. 

v.

15-1 with loss to a Top 25 team...and wins against some teams maybe, hopefully figuring it out...UNM win is going to look increasingly good...Hawaii should compete for a Big West title, but that means at best a 15 seed...ISU nearly got doubled-up in their first conference game. but not much else. 

I think we're both ranked exactly where we should be and hope all this top 25 talk is tabled until after ODU and WKU games. I know it won't be, of course...because...you know...it's GMG.com

Top 25 in hoops is very hard to crack. Especially with a rebuilding program, no historical “perception” advantages and an admittedly weak OOC schedule. Really hope our fans will just enjoy the ride. Agree on tabling that talk. It’s probably gonna take 6 more wins without tripping up to get that done anyway.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2

14 hours ago, All About UNT said:

10 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

University of New Mexico in their house where they just beat undefeated #7 Nevada for one. 

Don't forget we also beat Hawai'i in their kingdom. Admittedly, this isn't the strongest argument, but they're still 9-5 and #1 in the Big West.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

Top 25?  I can take it or leave it.  Baby steps.  Last year we won the CBI tournament .We need to play in the NCAA tournament this year and win at least one game.  That will go a long way to getting more respect and solid recruits coming to Denton.

Lastly, make sure we hang on to Coach McCasland.

Edited by DeepGreen
  • Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DeepGreen said:

Top 25?  I can take it or leave it.  Baby steps.  Last year we won the CBI tournament .We need to play in the NCAA tournament this year and win at least one game.  That will go a long way to getting more respect and solid recruits coming to Denton.

NIT is the next reasonable step.  NCAA is still attainable, though.  And that, IMO, would be a pleasant surprise of a leap.

Getting a win in the NCAA first round, this year? Lemme chew on that.

• Ray 1

1 hour ago, DeepGreen said:

The biggest concern that we should all have. I think McCasland loves UNT and being here with these guys. I can't imagine him taking another job for at least another 2 seasons, but I've been wrong before. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Censored by Laurie said:

wait...Texas has one more AP vote and 7 fewer coaches poll votes and we're complaining about perception again? 

10-4 with three quality losses, one weird outlier (haven't bothered to dig into potential whys) and wins against a solid Arkansas, an always pesky & white Purdue...and a win against then number 7, now number 12 North Carolina. 

v.

15-1 with loss to a Top 25 team...and wins against some teams maybe, hopefully figuring it out...UNM win is going to look increasingly good...Hawaii should compete for a Big West title, but that means at best a 15 seed...ISU nearly got doubled-up in their first conference game. but not much else. 

I think we're both ranked exactly where we should be and hope all this top 25 talk is tabled until after ODU and WKU games. I know it won't be, of course...because...you know...it's GMG.com

as much as I want to argue with you, that is a very valid argument. ODU and WKU will be good bell weather games. WKU is odd because they are very up and down looking at their wins and losses. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, greenminer said:

NIT is the next reasonable step.  NCAA is still attainable, though.  And that, IMO, would be a pleasant surprise of a leap.

Getting a win in the NCAA first round, this year? Lemme chew on that.

Good point.  I forgot about the NIT.  I'd be happy to play in that tournament.

First round win?  Why not?  You've got to think positive!  Positive waves man!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jason Howeth said:

The biggest concern that we should all have. I think McCasland loves UNT and being here with these guys. I can't imagine him taking another job for at least another 2 seasons, but I've been wrong before. 

If the $$$ is there, i would think it's much easier to hang on to basketball coaches.  Look at the jobs Jones reportedly turned down to stay here, and that was before the $$$ got much better.

Unless you are going to one of the true Blue Blood programs (Duke, UNC, Kentucky, Kansas, etc...) you have just about as good a chance of winning a National Title at North Texas as you do a low to mid level multi-bid league.  Only difference would be the smaller margin for error to get into the Tourney, but that's it.

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

For one... and that is it.

Having a realistic outtake on the situation will save many on this board heartache and angst.   UT has beaten Big 12, SEC, #7 UNC and Big 10 teams.  We have beaten a mediocre MWC team that beat someone ranked #6.  How does this not compute?  UT would wipe the floor with our schedule and if you guys can't see that then you are purposefully wearing blinders.

I hope we get ranked like any other homer but it sure isn't going to happen until the end of the year with our OOC schedule and only squeaking by some fairly poorly rated teams.

4 hours ago, Jason Howeth said:

Don’t have a link but I stumbled across a UCLA fan online making a case they should consider hiring McCasland.  Not saying it will happen but who the heck knows.  Coach Bro just got hired to the NFL after getting fired at Tech for goodness sakes!  If he keeps winning he’s going to get some looks.

I think it’s going to be harder to hire McCasland away than Littrell CONTINGENT upon us continuing to pay him fairly. 

This is home for Grant (versus a few hours away for Littrell). Also there aren’t the same barriers to entry to the playoffs as college football has.

McCasland has specifically said his goal is to play for a national title here. I know that’s always the “goal”, but I love hearing one of our coaches actually verbalize that. 

• Upvote 2

On 1/7/2019 at 7:43 PM, All About UNT said:

We beat UNM who throttled a no. 6 ranked Nevada. We beat LA Tech and Indy State. It hasn’t all been cupcakes.

Your Longhorns lost tonight. Good luck lobbying for them.

• Confused 1
  • Downvote 3