1965 DCTF North Texas State

Eagle71

Here is the write-up for NTSU in the 1965 issue of Texas Football magazine.  We followed 5 pages about the Houston Cougars and a sophomore flanker named, Warren McVea and we were right after Abilene Christian and right before Austin College. 

We've come a long way since those days and I'm thinking that the 2019 issue of DCTF should have Mason on the cover.  I know, the results of the Sugar Bowl probably negated that possibility, but I'll be writing to them anyway.

Dave Campbell DCTF1965 NTSU0001.jpg

Edited by Eagle71
  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 2

McVea was pretty much a high school legend.  One of my high school students from McKinney played against him in the HS All Star game at Amon Carter.  He had borrowed the family station wagon.  He had signed with Texas.  He told me McVea pulled up in a new convertible.  He said he and his friends decided they might have signed with the wrong school.

• Upvote 2

• Harry featured this topic
glo·ry
/ˈɡlôrē/
verb
gerund or present participle: glorying

Well.. even according to their own site, it says "While it was a decision based in rivalry and fun, the choice of a Confederate-themed mascot was nonetheless an unfortunate one."

So.. looks like they even regret it. As their official history of their mascot, they have all but erased all the Confederacy imagery.

https://www.unlv.edu/campuslife/mascot-nickname

As far as I've ever learned, Nevada was never a part of the Confederacy. They don't abide by heritage not hate and bogus State's rights claims.. so they are more of a character than a political statement and fandom of southern living. 

Glorying.

Edited by SteaminWillieBeamin
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 3

This was the team that inspired the 66 defence to play in such a dominating way that they inspired the MEAN GREEN nicname. That first game against Texas Western (UTEP) where they lost 61-15 set the tone for the season.

I saw NT on "Band Day" (Homecoming) so we were always surrounded by other HS Bands in the stands. Watching John Love was the only thing that distracted me from checking out the "talent" in those bands. John Love was a combination of Jaylen Darden and Rico Bussy. Every time he fielded a punt the fans came to their feet in anticipation of what he might do with the ball. He was drafted by Washington, and the first time he got his hands on the ball (in pre-season),  he took a KO all the way back.

I think the emphasis changed from 100 yrd time,  to 40 yrd time, when coaches realized that most offensive plays fell into the 0-40 yrd. range. 

• Upvote 2

@greenminer  - Truth be told, my damn phone auto-filled glorying while I was swiping 'glorifying'. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

This isn't a gerund. However, a present participle is a verb form ending in 'ing' and is being used as a verb. So it does seem to be the accidental present participle. 

• Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1