DRC: Where UNT's search for a new assistant is headed as the AFCA convention begins

Brett Vito

On 1/6/2019 at 7:37 PM, Rudy said:

I thought it was supposed to be the best candidate, not the best candidate of a certain race, gender, sexual orientation, etc?

Absolutely. In the end that is all that matters. But one of the factors that should come into play is how that coach will be able to relate with the players. Additionally, the RB coach position was the tenth coaching position which was authorized only last year; therefore it is also likely a lower pay slot, which means you likely will be getting a younger coach. They hopefully also played the position. Put all that together and a young up-and-coming African-American coach (like Coach Choice) makes a lot of sense for this hire. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3
  • Downvote 4

29 minutes ago, 97and03 said:

Absolutely. In the end that is all that matters. But one of the factors that should come into play is how that coach will be able to relate with the players. Additionally, the RB coach position was the tenth coaching position which was authorized only last year; therefore it is also likely a lower pay slot, which means you likely will be getting a younger coach. They hopefully also played the position. Put all that together and a young up-and-coming African-American coach (like Coach Choice) makes a lot of sense for this hire. 

UMMMM no thanks, I'll take the best offensive mind I can get, that can connect with players, and recruit.  Skin tone doesnt make a S******************* when hiring this spot. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 4

1 hour ago, GMG24 said:

UMMMM no thanks, I'll take the best offensive mind I can get, that can connect with players, and recruit.  Skin tone doesnt make a S******************* when hiring this spot. 

I didn’t say it had to be, just that it made sense. Not sure why so many seem to be bothered or confused by the notion of hiring well-qualified black coaches to work with young black kids. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Dang y'all that quote had zero context or information.

It felt just thrown in there so I'm not sure if it was conjecture (no Rooney rule in cfb) or if it is known who it is going to be, or if it is through some program like the Champions Forum to increase diversity in the coaching ranks (because there are good minority coaches that get buried in the sea of milquetoast because they don't have the same connections, for example).

Y'all just chill with the "I don't see color" approach.

• Downvote 1

30 minutes ago, Aldo said:

It felt just thrown in there so I'm not sure if it was conjecture (no Rooney rule in cfb) or if it is known who it is going to be, or if it is through some program like the Champions Forum to increase diversity in the coaching ranks (because there are good minority coaches that get buried in the sea of milquetoast because they don't have the same connections, for example).

I was more caught on the " he has never coached running backs so no way he is qualified" comment

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

so is Riley on the staff or not?  I realize he may not end up being the RBs coach, but he would be a great hire if we can find a spot for him. 

2 hours ago, Aldo said:

This is the 100% facts right here. We want the best coaches we can get, no doubt. I believe there is a way to get the best coaches and have a diverse staff.

GMG

• Downvote 1

On 1/7/2019 at 10:48 PM, 97and03 said:

I didn’t say it had to be, just that it made sense. Not sure why so many seem to be bothered or confused by the notion of hiring well-qualified black coaches to work with young black kids. 

If they're qualified, who cares if they're black or white. I mean hell, I guess Bedford should've been more successful than McCastland.  And I don't think anyone said that you implied that the coach HAD to be. 

• Ray 1
  • Eye Roll 2