Conference Basketball Arenas

UNTLifer

How would you rate the basketball arenas in the league?  I have only been to two, the Fabulous Super Pit and Rice. I would guess we have one of the better ones in the league. I have seen others on television or in pictures, UTSA, Southern Miss, FAU, etc..., and I would rate our's right up there. 

Tudor Fieldhouse (Rice) is more of an embarrassment to the conference....simply put, they’re smarter than that. UT-Sorta Almost is to be expected as they’ve only been a Division I school for about 15 minutes. It’ll take some time for them to build up their facilities. 

52 minutes ago, Salsa_Verde said:

Tudor Fieldhouse (Rice) is more of an embarrassment to the conference....simply put, they’re smarter than that. UT-Sorta Almost is to be expected as they’ve only been a Division I school for about 15 minutes. It’ll take some time for them to build up their facilities. 

Utsa has played d1 basketball for some time now. 

I have only been to Rice and UTSA out of thr CUSA schools and ya they both suck.

Super Pit is a really good arena, and a pretty good basketball venue. It loses points because it is too large, very dark, and doesn't funnel sound all that well.  Now, it looks great compared to a lot of the conference because there have been some terrible basketball venues in out Big West/SBC/CUSA days.  

ETA: SP also lacks a lot of modern amenities, lacks a lot of media needs (like camera mount locations, as everyone who saw the back of people's heads during the ESPN3 broadcast noticed), and as I have talked about before, is really worn down in a lot of areas the general public usually doesn't see.  

23 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

Super Pit is a really good arena, and a pretty good basketball venue. It loses points because it is too large, very dark, and doesn't funnel sound all that well.  

1) Too large based on crowds as of today but  I’d like to see what a few years of this athletic administration handling the marketing and on court success will do. 

2) The lighting is already there to brighten things up if the choice is made to do so. There are a lot of lights that are simply turned off.

3) I will admit I haven’t been in a TON of other college basketball arenas, but I actually find the Super Pit to be quite loud. Can only imagine what it sounds like full. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Mean Green Matt said:

1) Too large based on crowds as of today but  I’d like to see what a few years of this athletic administration handling the marketing and on court success will do. 

2) The lighting is already there to brighten things up if the choice is made to do so. There are a lot of lights that are simply turned off.

3) I will admit I haven’t been in a TON of other college basketball arenas, but I actually find the Super Pit to be quite loud. Can only imagine what it sounds like full. 

In response to #3, my freshman year (1987-1988) we hosted the Sunbelt Conference Tournament and played in the championship game (live on ESPN).  The Super Pit was very close to full that night and it was extremely loud!  We won the conference championship and went on to play North Carolina in the opening round of the NCAA Tournament. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Mean Green Fan4Life said:

In response to #3, my freshman year (1987-1988) we hosted the Sunbelt Conference Tournament and played in the championship game (live on ESPN).  The Super Pit was very close to full that night and it was extremely loud!  We won the conference championship and went on to play North Carolina in the opening round of the NCAA Tournament. 

174C293F-9C37-43F5-97EE-9646DA4CBFC6.jpeg.dea905904fb80de4c7d7b433e0c9f66a.jpegD9D2DB76-19F4-496D-BADF-E1B2F00C6279.jpeg.05495166cba02222cb3383914a32abce.jpeg

It was loud and it was awesome.

Rick

• Thanks 3
  • Ray 1

On ‎1‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 4:28 PM, Mean Green Matt said:

When we beat Texas Tech in OT here a few years , the Super Pit was very loud. These old places always have great acoustics when there are actually crowds there to make noise...

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1