Super Pit thoughts

While at the game tonight (thankfully a win was eked out), I was looking around at the Super Pit.  I remember the image below from the new Longhorn's arena and thought it would be cool if UNT did something similar.  First, get rid of the 1990's style stat boards either end of the arena, and also those Wells Fargo boards.  Then, take out about the top 10 rows of seats (are they ever used).  In both their places add a digital style system like pictured below (maybe not quite so elaborate).  I think that would look great and add a lot of useful years to The Super Pit.  Plus, it would class-up the joint more.  I realize this whole thing may be a moot point since a new arena is planned (I'm not sure how far out that is - 10 years?) but just a thought.  GMG

image.png.b9a9d80a2986c2e96484672ea5e88d55.png

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 1

8 minutes ago, UNT19’ said:

I like the idea. I go to every home game and I am happy with what we have, but jesus christ is the super pic a dark, depressing monster.

Better lighting would be great.  Replacing the dark green seats with our current color scheme would help, too.  I like the new bathrooms LOL

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 1
  • Eye Roll 1

1 minute ago, Philip Ferguson said:

Better lighting would be great.  Replacing the dark green seats with our current color scheme would help, too.  I like the new bathrooms LOL

Some people still haven’t even gotten their names on the current seats for donations...

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Philip Ferguson said:

The lights are there. They are just not turned on. It’s a choice to have the spotlight on the court. My personal preference would be to have the whole arena a bit lighter. But it’s not super high on my list of concerns. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Philip Ferguson said:

While at the game tonight (thankfully a win was eked out), I was looking around at the Super Pit.  I remember the image below from the new Longhorn's arena and thought it would be cool if UNT did something similar.  First, get rid of the 1990's style stat boards either end of the arena, and also those Wells Fargo boards.  Then, take out about the top 10 rows of seats (are they ever used).  In both their places add a digital style system like pictured below (maybe not quite so elaborate).  I think that would look great and add a lot of useful years to The Super Pit.  Plus, it would class-up the joint more.  I realize this whole thing may be a moot point since a new arena is planned (I'm not sure how far out that is - 10 years?) but just a thought.  GMG

image.png.b9a9d80a2986c2e96484672ea5e88d55.png

Anything that involves taking out seats will be shot down by the university as athletics doesn't control the venue.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

2 hours ago, UNT86 said:

You can wish, but nothing will happen.  The Pit is owned by the academic side of the university.  Athletics has a hard time even putting on a coat of paint in there. 

We need a new arena badly. 

1 hour ago, UNTFan23 said:

Anything that involves taking out seats will be shot down by the university as athletics doesn't control the venue.

This just is not true, it makes absolutely no difference who is the technical owner of the SP.   

If the SP was demolished and a new arena build as part of the athletic department; the NT administration would still use the facility in what they think is in the best interest of NT.  

I doubt there is a college arena anywhere that the AD has full control of scheduling that facility.  

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

18 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

This just is not true, it makes absolutely no difference who is the technical owner of the SP.   

If the SP was demolished and a new arena build as part of the athletic department; the NT administration would still use the facility in what they think is in the best interest of NT.  

I doubt there is a college arena anywhere that the AD has full control of scheduling that facility.  

I would think the AD would get first dibs on events and have a generally easier time scheduling what they want

7 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

I don’t think there is any plan to demolish the SuperPit. New arena or not.  If a new arena gets built, the superpit will still exist. That thing hosts way more events than basketball and it would be freeed up to host more. 

• Upvote 3

This is absolutely true. We built it with academic funds and not athletic.  That is why our girls basketball team had to play a home game at TWU just a couple of years ago. The academic side needed the Pit and took it.

Another example is how miserable the Mean Green Club room under the pit looked for years. The academic side would not allow the athletic side to upgrade the room.

Years ago, the Longhorns and Aggies built their facilities with academic money. The legislature then changed the law so nobody else could too. Every other school in Texas has been scrambling to catch up ever since.

We did what we had to do at the time to get it built. But, the academic side of the university has generally been uncooperative when it comes to upgrading the Pit.

The Pit is an arena that can host a basketball game when not in use otherwise. 

Edited by UNT86
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, UNT86 said:

This is absolutely true. We built it with academic funds and not athletic.  That is why our girls basketball team had to play a home game at TWU just a couple of years ago. The academic side needed the Pit and took it.

Another example is how miserable the Mean Green Club room under the pit looked for years. The academic side would not allow the athletic side to upgrade the room.

Years ago, the Longhorns and Aggies built their facilities with academic money. The legislature then changed the law so nobody else could too. Every other school in Texas has been scrambling to catch up ever since.

We did what we had to do at the time to get it built. But, the academic side of the university has generally been uncooperative when it comes to upgrading the Pit.

The mean green room use to be very nice, but now I believe that toll is reserved for people who have donated over 500,000 or something. There was always food and drink and all maybe 20 of us would fit. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

11 hours ago, Travis said:

Our AD should consider orange seats. 

True story. When we moved from the Pit to the Super Pit in 1973, I recall very well my astonishment upon seeing 10,000 seats painted in burnt orange!  I am not sure what anyone was thinking, or if they were thinking at all, but earth tones were all the rage in those days.

Edited by letsgiveacheer
  • Upvote 3

3 hours ago, UNT86 said:

The perils of operating in a state where a majority of the legislature went to either of those schools. Also the reason it took so damn long to get a new football stadium. Think U of Alabama at Tuscaloosa vs. UAB. 

3 hours ago, UNT86 said:

The Pit is an arena that can host a basketball game when not in use otherwise. 

I am aware the SP was build with state funds, but that has little to do with how it is scheduled.  Who is this academic side of NT that you keep mentioning?  The President and his administration under the guidance of the BOR have control of all the assets of the University.  They are going to make the big decisions on how the SP is used no matter which division of NT has technical ownership of the arena.  

4 hours ago, GreenN'walinsVet said:

I don’t think there is any plan to demolish the SuperPit. New arena or not.  If a new arena gets built, the superpit will still exist. That thing hosts way more events than basketball and it would be freeed up to host more. 

Yes, I made that assumption to make a point on the decision making process concerning the SP.  NT would probably maintain both arenas and obviously this would increase usage options. 

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Andrew said:

Some people still haven’t even gotten their names on the current seats for donations...

They eliminated the "names on the seats" idea many many years ago.  There was a plaque in the concourse listing the donors.  I looked for that plaque recently during a game, but could not find it. I am wondering if it was taken down during the recent renovations and if it will be returned or not.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

15 hours ago, UNT86 said:

You can wish, but nothing will happen.  The Pit is owned by the academic side of the university.  Athletics has a hard time even putting on a coat of paint in there. 

We need a new arena badly. 

This is such a dumb meme. Does it matter who's name is on the deed? The money comes from the same place, and at the end of the day the president and board of regents are in charge. The university isn't going to schedule a HS graduation and force Athletics to move a game. 

Athletics wants a new flashy arena. That's fine. But it shouldn't be because they don't want to share. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3