Power 6?

Talon90

I really wish the MAC would go away. Yeah I know Northern Illinois is good sometimes and Western Michigan made it to a New Years Bowl a couple years back but no team in that conference is exciting. Just the mere mention of Toledo or Akron put me to sleep. 

Edited by Salsa_Verde
  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, Salsa_Verde said:

I really wish the MAC would go away. Yeah I know Northern Illinois is good sometimes and Western Michigan made it to a New Years Bowl a couple years back but no team in that conference is exciting. Just the mere mention of Toledo or Akron put me to sleep. 

I agree, but they probably think the same of us and some of our conference mates.

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 1

Power conferences are the ones with TV deals worth a damn (5 of them). There is no such thing as the P6.

10 hours ago, Salsa_Verde said:

I feel that way sometimes too. While they have good teams from time to time, the ceiling of your typical MAC team seems much lower. I think most of it is geographic bias. The rust belt is a boring part of the country that nobody really cares about. The inverse of that is, who really cares about UNC Charlotte and ODU? Not me.

MAC and CUSA are pretty similar on paper though. The average CUSA school is actually slightly smaller (23,925 to 24,001) (median CUSA 22,904; median MAC 23,393). With their boring looking HS stadiums, its clear that the institutional support isn't as strong though.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, meangreenlax said:

Power conferences are the ones with TV deals worth a damn (5 of them). There is no such thing as the P6.

I feel that way sometimes too. While they have good teams from time to time, the ceiling of your typical MAC team seems much lower. I think most of it is geographic bias. The rust belt is a boring part of the country that nobody really cares about. The inverse of that is, who really cares about UNC Charlotte and ODU? Not me.

MAC and CUSA are pretty similar on paper though. The average CUSA school is actually slightly smaller (23,925 to 24,001) (median CUSA 22,904; median MAC 23,393). With their boring looking HS stadiums, its clear that the institutional support isn't as strong though.

Boring and often times excessively empty stadiums. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, meangreenlax said:

University of Ohio is the only school I could see moving out of that conference. 

Buffalo was the first team remotely interesting to me because of their stud quarterback who ESPN loved. Of course no respect Troy don’t care and beat them like a drum. 

Their empty stadiums are often a product of a Tuesday or Wednesday game. Ours would be too if we had that requirement. 

Northern Illinois seems to have a nice following out of Chicago. 

The Mac has been screaming for a sexy playing type team for years.  I too have trouble watching Mac games more than any other league. I find Appy state Arky state and goergia southern more interesting out of the Belt. Louisiana can be too but they mess up when they get the marquee opportunity- aka Boise. 

GMG