Hats off to UCF

Harry

Yeah they lost to LSU but it was a close game.  That UCF program can hold their head high.  It looks to me that the biggest differences between them and us is the lines and depth.  They would be a great program to emulate.  Lot of similarities between us.

2 hours ago, emmitt01 said:

What is funny is that the “experts” will now say that UCF clearly doesn’t belong because of an 8 point loss to LSU.  

Strangely, they will leave out that Baylor lost a TON of games for years in Big XII play, Kansas loses the majority of their league games, Vanderbilt doesn’t sniff conference titles, Arizona is no perennial winner, and the P5 is littered with teams that would have lost by 8+ to LSU...yet they are all still afforded a “legitimate” seat at the table.

Agreed.  And a lot of those "experts" also think Georgia should have been in the playoff this year. 

LSU beats UGA by 20, LSU beats UCF by 8.  These results clearly indicate that Georgia should have made the playoffs and that UCF "doesn't belong" in the playoff.  Yep, makes perfect sense.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, emmitt01 said:

Georgia expected to be in the playoff.  Their head is not in this game. 

No, you cannot use this excuse.  It's the same one schools like Alabama used to make after losing to a Utah in the Sugar Bowl.

Texas is just whipping Georgia right now.  I don't much like it either, but the Bulldogs have no excuse at all.

• Upvote 6
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

2 minutes ago, CMJ said:

No, you cannot use this excuse.  It's the same one schools like Alabama used to make after losing to a Utah in the Sugar Bowl.

Texas is just whipping Georgia right now.  I don't much like it either, but the Bulldogs have no excuse at all.

This is a big deal to Texas.  They’re a 4 loss team that is trying to prove they’re “back”.  

Georgia is playing for a consolation prize.  Their players even spent the week talking about how they were a worthy playoff team on social media.  True, they should have mentally prepared for the game that IS in front of them...but this isn’t a game they are up for.

Edited by emmitt01
  • Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 2

18 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

This is a big deal to Texas.  They’re a 4 loss team that is trying to prove they’re “back”.  

Georgia is playing for a consolation prize.  Their players even spent the week talking about how they were a worthy playoff team on social media.  True, they should have mentally prepared for the game that IS in front of them...but this isn’t a game they are up for.

Again...this is like giving Alabama a pass for not being up for Utah when they had a chance to play for the National Title.  Or Auburn vs UCF last year.  Or Boise State versus an OU years ago.

When people would say that all of the G5 schools would howl in anger and rightly so.  We can't then turn around and then say Georgia has that excuse because next time a school "like us" beats a big boy in one of these, they'll use that same damn line on us.

Edited by CMJ
  • Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

And they played without their starting QB Milton. I think the outcome would have been different with him in the game.

Yeah, Milton is a great QB. And I think there's no better mark in their favor than the fact that they won 3 games and took LSU to the wire with their freshman backup.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, CMJ said:

I agree. It's a tiresome excuse. It's up to the players and coaches to be motivated to play the game. I don't care about motivation. It's the task at hand. Jake Fromm being off his game was the difference. UT stacked and dared Fromm to beat them, and he couldn't. The better team won. 

• Upvote 2

42 minutes ago, Monkeypox said:

Yeah, Milton is a great QB. And I think there's no better mark in their favor than the fact that they won 3 games and took LSU to the wire with their freshman backup.

Yeah...It's a testament to their overall team. We played our freshman QB 2 1/2 quarters and got mopped by USU. UCF started theirs and dropped 32 points vs LSU. For the LSU fans and "P5" cronies stating that the G5 argument is dead. To that I say UCF competed vs an SEC power and had the ball late in the 4th quarter down 1 possession with a freshman QB playing pretty poorly.

To note, LSU rushed 2.9 ypc on something like 50 attempts. They tried to lean on UCF defense and they did in the 4th quarter, but their passing game created the separation. It also helps LSU that UCF went 3 and out eight times due to their QB just not seeing his reads. A healthy Milton on his game carves them up for 50 points while at least cutting out half of those 3 and outs, book that. 

Edited by NorthTexasWeLove
  • Upvote 3

18 hours ago, LongJim said:

UCF and USF are VERY similar to UNT in a lot of ways.  

If UCF and USF had a power team and one self-important wannabe within their metropolitan area/TV market like we do with TCU and SMU they'd look exactly like UNT. While Florida is basically split between UF, FSU and Miami, all that really matters is your TV market in this new landscape. We share ours with two ding dongs that eat up all the bandwidth.

• Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, meangreenlax said:

If UCF and USF had a power team and one self-important wannabe within their metropolitan area/TV market like we do with TCU and SMU they'd look exactly like UNT. While Florida is basically split between UF, FSU and Miami, all that really matters is your TV market in this new landscape. We share ours with two ding dongs that eat up all the bandwidth.

Though markets are important, I don't think it's held at such a high regard as it was just 5 years ago. 

We have a thing in the state of Texas that runs deeper than anywhere I have ever seen...t-shirt fan-itis. It's a state wide epidemic that starts with the Cowboys and UT and trickles down. No one in this state wants to be a diehard fan until it's convenient to be a diehard fan, at least from what I have seen and experienced. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, Braden Morehead said:

I think everyone needs to pump the brakes on comparing LSU and UCF. 

LSU was without 9 defensive starters for a lot of that game. 

This is a tricky game to play. Players rotate in and out on defense constantly. Just because starters didn't play as much doesn't mean the guys playing were freshmen on their 4th career start.  Missing your heisman finalist quarterback impacts your team differently. With Milton in they would have kept drives going and scored more putting more pressure on LSU to put up points. UCF's defense would have also had more breathers. 

Who knows how the game would have gone with all starters in but it's not a stretch to say the two teams aren't separated by much.

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 3

4 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Though markets are important, I don't think it's held at such a high regard as it was just 5 years ago. 

We have a thing in the state of Texas that runs deeper than anywhere I have ever seen...t-shirt fan-itis. It's a state wide epidemic that starts with the Cowboys and UT and trickles down. No one in this state wants to be a diehard fan until it's convenient to be a diehard fan, at least from what I have seen and experienced. 

Wait a minute...did I just agree with Ben Gooding on something??!  😮 

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Yep. The thing is it's not TCU and SMU eating up our market. It's all Big12. 

• Upvote 1