Holgorson agrees with UH

TheReal_jayD

4 hours ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

It's an impressive hire for Houston. To say anything else as a UNT fan reeks of jealousy. 

4 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

So because we don't like Houston, we don't want to admit that Holgorsen is an enormous upgrade over Applewhite?

Read the post again. It was nothing about Holgorsen ability compared to Applewhite. And it had zero to do with jealousy. It is the irony of the fact that 8-4 is a fire able offense in H-Town. Then you go and spend 4 million a year on a guy that has just won more than 8 games once in the last 7 years.

And I dont want to hear any excuse about its hard to win in the big 12. Good coaches can recruit to their competition.  

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, TheReal_jayD said:

Read the post again. It was nothing about Holgorsen ability compared to Applewhite. And it had zero to do with jealousy. It is the irony of the fact that 8-4 is a fire able offense in H-Town. Then you go and spend 4 million a year on a guy that has just won more than 8 games once in the last 7 years.

And I dont want to hear any excuse about its hard to win in the big 12. Good coaches can recruit to their competition.  

I don't think the records matter.  When you have a chance to upgrade your coach, you pull the trigger.   

And I think it's absolutely easier for Houston to win in the AAC than WVU to win in the Big12.   WVU is in a terrible location in regards to big12 competition, VS recruiting to the most-primed AAC school in the most fertile of recruiting grounds.   
He's going to do well, and I bet he's in a spot now where he'll just retire there if he's not fired.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

3 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I don't think the records matter.  When you have a chance to upgrade your coach, you pull the trigger.   

And I think it's absolutely easier for Houston to win in the AAC than WVU to win in the Big12.   WVU is in a terrible location in regards to big12 competition, VS recruiting to the most-primed AAC school in the most fertile of recruiting grounds.   
He's going to do well, and I bet he's in a spot now where he'll just retire there if he's not fired.

How much better was he than Kliff who is now the OC at USC and still interviewing for a head coach NFL job. Is Seth now worth $2m? Keep up or get out of the way!

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Wag Tag said:

How much better was he than Kliff who is now the OC at USC and still interviewing for a head coach NFL job. Is Seth now worth $2m? Keep up or get out of the way!

I suppose that is a better question for Wren Baker.

And considering Holgorsen's WVU teams beat Kingsbury's Tech teams 5 out of 6 times, I would say he's a better coach than Kliff.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

4 hours ago, MootPoint said:

will be interesting how it affects recruiting, especially from the south texas area.  since this year's class is signed though, we won't see any real effect (if any) until next year's class.🤔

There is still the regular signing day I think. At least i think that still exists!  Recruiting isn't done,  although it mostly is.  

• Upvote 1

Yes Holgorsen is a better coach than Applewhite, and this is more than just getting the WV coach.  You have to consider his history at UH even if it was just 2 years.

Holgorsen was the coach most responsible for Case Keenum's development.  He was OC for UH's 1st bowl win in almost 30 years.  OC for UH's 1st win against a ranked opponent in almost 25 years and then had more wins like that.  And UH had some of their 1st sellouts in years while he was there.

Which brings me to possibly the biggest reason to fire Major and hire Dana.  Season ticket sales had decreased both seasons under Major.  If he returned, you can guarantee they would have been the lowest in years.  Dana will sell a lot more tickets, season and individual.  Maybe not the best reason to hire a coach, and it might not have been the main reason, but it had to have some influence

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

On 1/1/2019 at 10:12 AM, southsideguy said:

CQ I have a question why are not you not on the Cougar board celebrating with your fellow fans?  They chase you away?  Seems like you spend way to much time over here.  Come back on game week if you like but give it a rest.  If you need a second home I bet UTSA would love to have you. 

I am with you on this. I left UNT for one semester to attend UTA. I hated it there and came back to UNT and never looked back. Although I did not like UTA, I do not waste my time going to their fan page, if they have one, just to bad mouth the school because I did not like it there. We get it, he doesn't like UNT. But for someone who didn't like UNT and left, he sure spends a lot of time on our page. He is like the a person whose girlfriend broke up with him and he says he doesn't care about her, but yet spends all his time following her around and bad mouthing the new guy that she is dating. Sounds like to me he is bitter that he didn't graduate from the Mean Green.

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1

I just read an interesting article in SportsDay on how Holgorson, UH and WVU all got what they would like out of this deal. I haven't figured out how to link articles from my eEdition of the DMN to here on my iPad! I'll link later from my computer. 

But the gist was he wanted out of WVU and they wanted him gone but didn't want to pay to fire him. UH wanted him back but still wanted to have money for assistants and waiting a few days would do that. While it looked amateurish to me, I can understand waiting a few days to save over a million dollars. 

The article also points to a big realignment being the UH goal and the need to sustain both wins AND $4 million or more a year through at least 2025 to make that happen. Maybe they can, maybe not. 

• Upvote 1

I agree that Houston seemed to go stale under Applewhite. Getting people into that stadium was a huge priority and holgerson gave them the juice they need. 

I also don’t think they will struggle like most first year coaches do in a new town because it’s an old town. They know each other and the curve will be shortened. 

That means there is a war scheduled for the end of September in Denton. I think this will be one of the toughest we’ve had in Apogee since opening. 

I hope MF brings some senior magic and the gigantic crowd in Mean Green will be celebrating deep into the last weekend of Sethtember.

GMG

Edited by NM Green
  • Upvote 4