Miami job open

Cr1028

18 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

The job openings I’m worried about are the ones that will come open tomorrow. Especially if Lincoln Riley feels like after yesterday, with Mayfield and Murray gone, he won’t have a good crack at schools like Bama, Clemson, and Georgia for a while.

King of the Big XII is the best he can ever hope for

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

17 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

King of the Big XII is the best he can ever hope for

I’m not sure about ever, but certainly looks that way for the foreseeable future. Riley is 35. If he leaves for the NFL now, even if he bombs, he would still be the front runner for any premier job he would want if he chose to go back to college. And he would still have another crack at a second NFL job down the line if he wanted that too. I don’t think he leaves OU right now but it would make sense from a few angles.

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

I’m not sure about ever, but certainly looks that way for the foreseeable future. Riley is 35. If he leaves for the NFL now, even if he bombs, he would still be the front runner for any premier job he would want if he chose to go back to college. And he would still have another crack at a second NFL job down the line if he wanted that too. I don’t think he leaves OU right now but it would make sense from a few angles.

Oh I don’t doubt that Lincoln Riley could aspire to more.  I just meant that ruling the Big XII is the best he can hope for at OU.  

9 minutes ago, UNTFan23 said:

Sounds like Miami has filled the position ... but Temple is going to be open again.

Story

3 minutes ago, jtm0097 said:

Wait--how is this even possible?  Just this morning, Miami says they are "shocked" and "caught completely off guard" by Richt's resignation, and they have a new coach hired that same night?!?

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

Wait--how is this even possible?  Just this morning, Miami says they are "shocked" and "caught completely off guard" by Richt's resignation, and they have a new coach hired that same night?!?

They must have a bunch of names kept in a binder.

1 hour ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

Come make huge guaranteed money in sunny south Florida surrounded by some of the most fertile recruiting ground in the country.    Biggest concern there is to keep the program clean. (The stress of that might have lead to Mark's retirement).  That is the only downside to taking the Miami job; the history of corrupt culture.

11 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

The job openings I’m worried about are the ones that will come open tomorrow. Especially if Lincoln Riley feels like after yesterday, with Mayfield and Murray gone, he won’t have a good crack at schools like Bama, Clemson, and Georgia for a while.

I think Seth needs a double digits wins season and/or a conference championship before OU gives him the call. 

I understand Seth is an OU guy. But I think 0-4 in post season games will keep him from being a shoe in. Because OU could get any coach they want besides prolly Dabo, Saban and Herman. Is Seth a top 10 coach in CFB? Don't get me wrong I think he is a great coach. 

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

I think Seth needs a double digits wins season and/or a conference championship before OU gives him the call. 

I understand Seth is an OU guy. But I think 0-4 in post season games will keep him from being a shoe in. Because OU could get any coach they want besides prolly Dabo, Saban and Herman. Is Seth a top 10 coach in CFB? Don't get me wrong I think he is a great coach. 

I believe the only P5 Head Coach opening filled by a Coach coming from another P5 school in the last three coaching carousels was Dan Mullen going from Mississippi State to Florida last year. Didn’t happen after the 2016 season and hasn’t happened yet this year. The degree of separation between P5 and G5 Head Coach is not that great. 

OU is a program, like Florida, that could lure another P5 coach but I don’t think you’re looking at candidates far above Littrell. I don’t think Littrell would be a shoe in, or even necessarily the top candidate, but I also think ADs care much more about overall record and recruiting track record than the results of the type of Bowl Games we have been in. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

I believe the only P5 Head Coach opening filled by a Coach coming from another P5 school in the last three coaching carousels was Dan Mullen going from Mississippi State to Florida last year. Didn’t happen after the 2016 season and hasn’t happened yet this year. The degree of separation between P5 and G5 Head Coach is not that great. 

OU is a program, like Florida, that could lure another P5 coach but I don’t think you’re looking at candidates far above Littrell. I don’t think Littrell would be a shoe in, or even necessarily the top candidate, but I also think ADs care much more about overall record and recruiting track record than the results of the type of Bowl Games we have been in. 

Your point still stands but Jimbo Fisher (FSU to A&M) and Willie Taggart (Oregon to FSU) come to mind. 

Edited by Mean Green Matt
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Mike Jackson said:

Come make huge guaranteed money in sunny south Florida surrounded by some of the most fertile recruiting ground in the country.    Biggest concern there is to keep the program clean. (The stress of that might have lead to Mark's retirement).  That is the only downside to taking the Miami job; the history of corrupt culture.

IIRC, they have traditionally struggled with attendance in Miami.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, greenminer said:

IIRC, they have traditionally struggled with attendance in Miami.

I agree but as a coach you winning is the only way you can address that.  The stadium being 20 miles off campus is a challenge.  But you can still be in late season national championship picture or a semi-regular basis.  There isn't much more you could ask for in a FBS job. 

5 minutes ago, Mike Jackson said:

I agree but as a coach you winning is the only way you can address that.  The stadium being 20 miles off campus is a challenge.  But you can still be in late season national championship picture or a semi-regular basis.  There isn't much more you could ask for in a FBS job. 

I'm not sure they can be in NC or Semi talk without cheating again, or for something cataclysmic to happen to their Florida peers.

I'm also not sure winning will bring them good attendance anymore, but I agree winning is the first thing you gotta do.